Landscapers & Green-Thumbers.... I need some help!

Granny

One day at a time...
For many years, I have told people that I have a greasy thumb... not a green thumb. That being said, I now need some green-thumb help...

I have a variety of shrubbery around the house. I know the names of a few... most I do not know. It is my hope that, if the pics are good enough, some of you landscapers/green-thumbers can help me identify the ones I don't know. There are nine of them. Searching the internet for shrubbery names is far worse than looking for the proverbial needle-in-the-haystack.

The "b" pics are close-ups of the "a" pics.

ThanX All... in advance.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 03a.jpg
    03a.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 194
  • 03b.jpg
    03b.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 192
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 6b.jpg
    6b.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 7b.jpg
    7b.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 9b.jpg
    9b.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 184
1 Crepe Myrtle
2 Probably also crepe myrtle
3 Did it have yellow flowers on it in the spring? if so, forsythia
4 Poison ivy
5 honeysuckle
6 nandina
7 boxwood, or maybe yaupon holly
8 hydrangea
9 maybe also hydrangea

Kidding about #4

If you know anything about how/if/when they flower, that would help

4 Poison ivy

Copied your post & edited accordingly.....
1 Crepe Myrtle - agreed
2 Probably also crepe myrtle - don't think so... see new pic (2b)... real sweet-smelling blooms... sort like honeysuckle, but not
3 Did it have yellow flowers on it in the spring? if so, forsythia - uncertain... does have yellow blooms, but can't verify yet via internet pics
4 Poison ivy - my first thought, he's full of shit! :confused:
5 honeysuckle - no way! Darlene is allergic to it... we had several growing on fence posts... had to cut all of em down
6 nandina - agreed... as best as I can tell
7 boxwood, or maybe yaupon holly - agree on boxwood... suspected this one before I posted
8 hydrangea - agreed
9 maybe also hydrangea - don't think so... seems like I recall someone calling it some sort of peach, but not sure

Kidding about #4 -- good thing you said that! :)

If you know anything about how/if/when they flower, that would help - can't help too much here

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 157
#2 - Tea olive???

#2 - Tea olive???

Very close, but I don't think that's it. Leaves on mine are smooth, photos of tea olive bush shows little points on edge of leaves.

I wish I had come up with this brainstorm last year... an old fellow just up the road from me ran a nursery for years. I don't know if he passed or not, but his place has been auctioned off and now stands empty. Hoping maybe the likes of RQ, etc. chime in on this. I really don't know who else is/was in this line of work. Appreciate all the feedback! :beer:

Maybe a type of evergreen vibernum? There's a lot of variety, so image search is inconclusive, but the flowers look right.

Very close, but I don't think that's it. Leaves on mine are smooth, photos of tea olive bush shows little points on edge of leaves.

You'd know if it was tea olive with that many blooms....we have two by our front porch and they are very fragrant when blooming.

Edit: just saw that you said it has sweet smelling blooms. Might be tea olive? Here's what our tea olive looks like. Only have a couple of blooms left on it though.

IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG

Last edited:
Don't try to kill the nandina. You'll never ever ever win. You'll become obsessed with it. You can cut it spray it , dig it out and pull the stump out. It will come back again and again. Then when ever you see it in someone else's yard you'll think why in the hell would anyone plant that shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a type of evergreen vibernum? There's a lot of variety, so image search is inconclusive, but the flowers look right.

Looked that up, but as you said "lot of variety".... and YES, the flowers do look right. Would just like to be sure as to what it is. :)

Grandma always called 4 a yellow bud. The new growth made a badass switch when she slid the leaves off. Alwayss hated to here..."go get me a yellow bud switch..."

Yellow blooms in early spring

I think we have that one figured out. As for the badass switch... when I was a kid, we had a big willow about 20 feet from the back door... guess what I had to put up with?!?!?! :D

You'd know if it was tea olive with that many blooms....we have two by our front porch and they are very fragrant when blooming.

Edit: just saw that you said it has sweet smelling blooms. Might be tea olive? Here's what our tea olive looks like. Only have a couple of blooms left on it though.]

I am leaning that this is it... your pics look an awful lot like what I have... I will go out and look closer this afternoon.

Yep. #4 is a yellow bell, old timey , don't see em around newer homes

This home was built in '52... I don't think we could get away with calling it a newer home. :)

Don, there used to be a Nursery on Old Airport Rd., Concord. Been too long to remember the name. You ever go that way?

I don't know about that one, Rodney. I don't go toward Concord that much, but if I did I would probably just go to Christy's on Hwy 29.

Don't try to kill the nandina. You'll never ever ever win. You'll become obsessed with it. You can cut it spray it , dig it out and pull the stump out. It will come back again and again. Then when ever you see it in someone else's yard you'll think why in the hell would anyone plant that shit.

We intend to keep these as they are so won't have to worry about that problem.:)

The reason for doing this.... some are in the wrong location as far as sun or shade. We need to replace, or attempt to relocate some of them. Replacing is hard when you don't know what you're looking for in the first place. I may, some day, grow some GREEN on my thumb. :lol:

THANX ALL!!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

If any of you are into plant identification or being able to choose plants/shrubs and trees for your home, get "Landscape Plants of the Southeast" by R. Gordon Halfacre and Anne Shawcroft. It s great hardcover book full of awesome info.

^^^ RQ...it's about time your decrepit "ash" made an appearance! Figured you just might have the answers, too. I'll keep looking, and watching for you to remember... I'm well aware that old-age slows things down some. :D
Appreciate ya ole buddy! :beer:

^^^ RQ...it's about time your decrepit "ash" made an appearance! Figured you just might have the answers, too. I'll keep looking, and watching for you to remember... I'm well aware that old-age slows things down some. :D
Appreciate ya ole buddy! :beer:
I was out of town until yesterday...:D

Edit: I think I got #3 now and also edited #2 earlier.
1 Crepe Myrtle/ YES Flower May-Sept
2 After closer inspection I think this is just a plain old Ligustrum. They are in the privet family and do bloom but not always very profusely.
3 Did it have yellow flowers on it in the spring? if so, forsythia/ (Not Forsythia, I'm still letting it circle around) ( I know it...just not coming to me yet) This is Spirea, it has white blooms in Spring
4 Forsythia (I originally said Osmanthus for some reason
5 (Abelia Grandiflora or Glossy Abelia) April-May blooms, an Old standard garden plant
6 nandina /YES great berries for the birds all Winter, colorfl foliage in Winter, cut old stalks out to 4" each Winter.
7 (It looks like Dwarf Inkberry Holly or a basic Japanese Compacta Holly)
8 hydrangea /YES
9 maybe also hydrangea / Peegee Hydrangia

Last edited:
That #5 looks like it might be that Lilac beside the house that I got a piece of. BTW, mine is doing great and bloomed for the first time last year, thanks!

That #5 looks like it might be that Lilac beside the house that I got a piece of. BTW, mine is doing great and bloomed for the first time last year, thanks!

Hi John! Long time - no see. No, #5 is not the Lilac. We still have Lilacs, but moved them about 3 years ago. We didn't have a clue as to what we were doing at the time, but have since found they are exactly where they need to be. Happy to hear yours are doing well! :)

With help of all you folks (no names-don't want to miss anyone), plus neighbors, and a lot of Internet searching, I have come up with an updated list which I believe to be pretty darn close to right. Don't be bashful if you disagree, but keep in mind some of the same critters share different names. Again, thanks to all who chimed in. :beer::beer::beer:

1 - Crape Myrtle
2 - Sweet Olive
3 - Babys Breath Spirea
4 - Yellow Bell
5 - Glossy Abelia
6 - Nandina
7 - Boxwood
8 - Hydrangea
9 - Carolina Allspice

Back