Lawn Tractors

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I'm looking for a new lawn tractor. I think the rear is going out of my 10 year old Snapper. Got enough slopes that a zero turn doesn't work well. I do most of my mowing with the Kubota and a finish mower, so this is really for the yard area around the house, and the edges up and down the driveway. The 22HP/46" Snapper has worked well, so something about that size.

So, what's good in a lawn tractor now? And where would you buy one (that can service it?)

Have you considered a commercial walk behind?

My slopes are much more severe than what you have, and my 60" snapper eats them up. I upgraded to a dual wheel delkie and that makes for a great deal more stability. It's insane the slopes I can mow with it. I had a 48" and ended up taking that one to my house. Takes all of 30 minutes to cut that yard.

I wasn't expecting a great deal of time savings going from 48" to 60" but I was wrong. Huge difference in time savings.

Anyway..just a thought

You can do it with a zero turn... Just gotta keep the downhill lever wot and feather the uphill lever lol. Or mow up and down the slope if you're a scaredy cat.

Have you considered a commercial walk behind?

My slopes are much more severe than what you have, and my 60" snapper eats them up. I upgraded to a dual wheel delkie and that makes for a great deal more stability. It's insane the slopes I can mow with it. I had a 48" and ended up taking that one to my house. Takes all of 30 minutes to cut that yard.

I wasn't expecting a great deal of time savings going from 48" to 60" but I was wrong. Huge difference in time savings.

Anyway..just a thought
This

You can do it with a zero turn... Just gotta keep the downhill lever wot and feather the uphill lever lol. Or mow up and down the slope if you're a scaredy cat.
That's exactly what I do. I have a Cub Cadet ZT2-54. Can't do the up and down because it's on the road.

I’ll cut stuff with my zero turn that I wouldn’t even consider with a riding mower for fear of tipping over. But if you’re not comfortable with it, then you’re not comfortable with it.

I've had good luck with just regular Husqvarna lawn tractors. I bought my first one used in 2005, and it lasted until about 2021 or 2022 I believe. I currently have a 48" one with the V-twin 22 or 24 hp Briggs motor.

Great service out of my 4x4 Kubota GR something over the last 15 years. 20 something horse diesel 60” deck that has only required service every 100 hours and fuel over the years. It’s the only mower I could find to handle my back yard that wasn’t sketchy as hell.

Went and got a 500 series JD with the locking differential. 23hp/54" cut. Hills can suck my ass now. I'll even sidehill them when I'm feeling froggy, which is most days. The price is a little steep but I plan on keeping this till I retire.

i got a new craftsman from lowes. Swapped the tires out for tractor ones. Lincoln locked the axle. I now drive up my 13-30d lawn slopes almost as good as @Jody Treadway shelby ranger climbs up mountains.

Disclaimer: my mowing style had to change. Hard turns tear up the grass. So either 3 point 180 turns, or i mow my pattern in outer to inner.

Back