leaf spring pin / mounting pad divorce

Chuckman

Axle Off-Set Plate for 2-1/2

^ above post; Im putting stock YJ springs under a CJ2A. this means that the front of the springs are going to be 4" or so out past the stock location. not the best for approach angle and keeping the 'look' of a flatty. same for the rear. choosing the YJ's for flex and ride / maintaining similar load design

so MORE has this design to move the axles fore/aft by 3/4" and 1" depending on which hole you choose. this is the same principle as some of the older flatty custom spring packs intended for longer travel/softer ride so I know the concept works (offset pin, not a 'moved' pin). my question is- would it be a horrible idea to make two sets of these (front and rear) as much as 3" offset? It would solve all sorts of shackle fitment problems. Id rather lose 1/4" of lift and not redrill new holes. honestly I cant think of too much to go wrong as long as things are clamped down tight. BUT I may be missing something.

Ive run SOA and had hella issues with spring wrap, will these springs behave better going SUA? will this mod make spring wrap worse or less?

will 'little' 31" tires and SUA induce much wrap? lotta wranglers sold that way...

3" would be quite a length to extend from the clamping area of the u bolts and would probably change the flex of the spring if it was clamped rigidly. Moving 1" is no big deal, because it's still inside the square of the u bolts clamping area.

Like A_kelley mentioned, I would be concerned with having the pin location/hole in the leafs 'outside' of the springs clamped area. I could see one of the leafs cracking at the pin/hole location when run in that position. I ran YJ springs under my Samurai for years and beat on them hard. I had the front springs offset 1.25" and the rear springs offset 1" by just drilling new holes in the axle perches.

^ I like the idea, that's why I asked. thx

Back