Leaf spring Questions

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Ok got a few questions:

1) If I had a 4" of lift yj spring and a 4" of lift (pre 88) Chevy spring how much lift would they have in comparison? (For example would the chevy spring provide more lift?)

2) Same thing different springs: A Rear CJ7 2.5 spring vrs a CJ5 4" spring

3) Is it ok to use a normal perch on a 10 bolt with a CJ5 spring (the CJ5 spring is slightly skinnyer than the 10 bolt perch by like a 1/2 inch I think), or would i need the right size perch?

Thanks

That would depend on the spring rates and the weight of the vehicle they're under. the arch plays a part in it too. without pics/ specs its impossible to accurately tell.

if you put a 6 inch yj spring into the front of a 1 ton diesel truck (assuming you could make that happen) the truck could come out with negative lift over stock height...

so basicly we need more details / spring dimensions

the wider perch would be a problem b/c there would be room for the axle to move around. on the springs between the gaps that would be left between the Ubolts and the springs

aight the 4" of lift chevy and 4" of lift yj springs would be under the CJ

the 2.5" of lift cj7 and the 4" of lift cj5 springs would be under the samurai

Basically Im' just looking for how the lift amount would equal out between the two, for example they say on a samurai yj springs automatically have 2" of lift over samurai springs, thats kinda what I'm wonderin between the above mentioned springs

ecu88xj said:
the wider perch would be a problem b/c there would be room for the axle to move around. on the springs between the gaps that would be left between the Ubolts and the springs

That's what your centering pin is for.

EDIT: Yes, it's OK to use the narrower spring, but make sure the centering pin is a good fit. (As always)

jrraw23 said:
aight the 4" of lift chevy and 4" of lift yj springs would be under the CJ

the 2.5" of lift cj7 and the 4" of lift cj5 springs would be under the samurai

Basically Im' just looking for how the lift amount would equal out between the two, for example they say on a samurai yj springs automatically have 2" of lift over samurai springs, thats kinda what I'm wonderin between the above mentioned springs

There is know way to tell

YEs, it will work. One thing that may happen is that if you do not have your spring clamps on the springs will move and cause sag. you will have to clamp them somehow near the spring perch to keep them all lined up.

Rich said:
That's what your centering pin is for.

EDIT: Yes, it's OK to use the narrower spring, but make sure the centering pin is a good fit. (As always)

You're right Rich, i stand corrected.

The leaves themselves could separate/ slide without clamps as upnover said though.

Back