Lets Build a 14 Bolt

R Q

This is child's play for many of you but when I start shopping for parts it makes my head spin. My rear is already linked with a bent 60 FYI. My main question is truss and a tied in pinion guard but I'll take comments on every part of the build. Right now I'm looking at Ruffstuff diff cover, truss, and pinion guard (on sale right now) but also Barnes. My finished build will have 5:38 gears, spool, disk brake kit, 1350 yoke. What gears and kits are your favorites also? EDIT: add the best disk brake kit and parts also.
Feel free to get very specific on parts to use and why.

Last edited:
I’m building one now… just ordered this truss. I like the short one as it leaves much more option for other mounts. It’s kinda on sale

Attachments

• 22628173-58C9-4E1C-9468-421102CBAA41.jpeg
    22628173-58C9-4E1C-9468-421102CBAA41.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 74
if you haven’t already sourced your axle, the newer ones are already disc. And pretty easy to find for 3-500$

Came here to say that very thing. Snag you an AAM 10.5 out of a 2001+ 2500HD with a 6.0. The 8.1 trucks got an AAM 11.5 like the Duramax trucks. It'll have metric wheel studs, but that's not a huge deal. The hub bore is still 4.600 like older GM stuff in case you're running something like an H2 wheel. They'll still fit just fine.

If that'd bug you, you could change the rear studs to a 9/16-18 stud like the front...or chane the fronts to 14x1.5mm like the rears. If you decide to go that route, I'll do some digging and find you some part numbers for studs that will work.

AAM brand gears are great in 14 Bolts. But really, with the size of the teeth, most any will be fine. Bearing kits are all so similar, take your pick.
Once again, I suggest Lugnut4x4 for the disc kit if you don't source an OEM disc equipped axle.
I will add, every single 13 bolt conversion I've had has leaked. Granted, I wheel fairly hard and with wreckless abandon. If you go with the 13 bolt kit, leave plenty of extra meat under the cover to allow for dragging across rocks over time.
If you wanna be most effective and look super cool too, go with a full length truss (even with leafs). Notch for the leafs and ubolts for a clean look. Plus, full length trusses will be way more effective than smaller bridge ones (which I have but regret doing so).

Last edited:
Rear is linked , planning for a full length truss, my 14 bolt will be here soon and its drum so it will be converted. I'm leaving it 14 bolt with just some grinding. I like the Ruffstuff truss but as always they can be overkill.

Short truss with tie in. If old 14b, then tubes bend... if full length truss, spindles bend. The newer ones with dom tubes dont care so much as the old ones. Lugnut kit for brakes or source yourself if you have a good auto parts coupon and use weld on brackets. Look at amazon for gears. Got my us standard gear set, set up kit, yukon solid spacer, and grizzly locker for less than half of what it cost from anybody else on amazon. Hate to do that but money savings is money savings.

I was going to chime in and say that I have zero leaks and no complaints with the Ballistic Fab shave kit I put on my 14B but that was over a decade ago...I looked at prices and HOLY CRAP what in the world!??! Half a grand?!?! Looks like the only thing that really did not go up in price something ridiculous was the machining service for used gears. I will say that it was pretty straightforward to install and has held up well over the years.

Back