Let's see your setup: camping in the truck bed

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
Just got a camper shell on the tow rig, now I'm thinking about how I can set up the bed of the truck for camping. I'm thinking about building a base to get the air mattress up on top of the wheel-wells, then the area under it could be storage.

Show me what you got.

I camp in the back of my truck every time we go wheeling. I often camp with a friend. I have a long bed cummins truck so the bed is huge! I happend to have some stuff left in the truck from uwharrie so I took some pics. I built a platform to sit just on top of the wheel wells. Its made out of 2x10s and 3/4" subflooring that has tounge and groove. I built it to be somewhat easily removable. I made the runners go longway under the plywood so I could slide contaniers under it. They are christmas wrapping paper totes. They fit perfect. I can still fit and easy up tent and 2 chairs under it too. I didn't get any pictures of it set up but I set it up like the last picture. 2 tent poles and a tarp. It rained for 12 hours last weekend at uwharrie and we stayed nice and dry and could even open the windows and rear hatch because of the tarp. That air mattress is a queen size. Theres still room for a shelf. Thats my next project. It would be nice to have somewhere to put phone chargers and things. We even borrowed my sons DVD player and took it to uwharrie. lol.

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 6,223
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 3,946
  • truckcamping.jpg
    truckcamping.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 11,032
Not trying to hijack your thread, I have a RV slide out tray for sale. Oaw is 40inches X 91inches long. This has ball bearing rollers and double locks for safety. it is rated at 1,000 pounds at full extend. Pulls out a L O N G way. I'll take $400 for it. Would be perfect for under neath storage. New cost is over $1,200 plus shipping.

Where's Don?

Military show in Denton, N.C.

Yep... since Thursday... just got home, and we had a great weekend with about 90 MVs turning out for the rally! :)

What Matthew wants to do did not work for us. Darlene and I tried the platform thing a few years ago in a trailer that we put a truck cap on. We built the sides (that the cap sits on) the same height as a pickup truck and added a platform, but with the platform, plus the mattress thickness, it seemed like crawling into a sardine can. The platform dis not last long. What we have now is a taller cap on our Dodge and the mattress lays on a the carpeted bed of the truck. We put a shelf in the cab-end of the bed to sit odds & ends on (electric heater, clock, etc.), and built storage areas at each side of the mattress between the wheel wells and the bulkhead of the bed. Otherwise, it is all open space where we have room to get dressed or undressed etc. We can't stand up, but we have a lot more headroom than a conventional cap.

I don't think I have any pics of the inside, but if it will help anyone I will take some tomorrow and post them. Good Luck Matthew! :)

It is called the "Dodge-ma haul" an American Palace!

I'll have to get some pics of mine next time its in. I have a high top camper on a long bed cummins with a 60 gal aux tank in the back. Kinda strange but this past fall we fit 16 chainsaws, 2pairs of boots and 2cases of adult beverages under the platform. Depending on the trip and if my wife is with me, we may put a queen air mattress back there or a twin mattress from a spare bedroom. Its nice not having to mess with a tent.

Here's a few pics of the DodgeMaHaul. The sun sort of nailed the first one, but it shows the layout. We like it just fine! :)

Attachments

• DodgeMaHaul-1.jpg
    DodgeMaHaul-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • DodgeMaHaul-2.jpg
    DodgeMaHaul-2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • DodgeMaHaul-3.jpg
    DodgeMaHaul-3.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • DodgeMaHaul-4.jpg
    DodgeMaHaul-4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 990
Not trying to hijack your thread, I have a RV slide out tray for sale. Oaw is 40inches X 91inches long. This has ball bearing rollers and double locks for safety. it is rated at 1,000 pounds at full extend. Pulls out a L O N G way. I'll take $400 for it. Would be perfect for under neath storage. New cost is over $1,200 plus shipping.
You have a pic of this Terry?

Come by and I can show you one that is still in my coach and how it works. The one for sale is in the shed and I would have to drag it out to pic.

PM sent to 85 toy

I've seen Don's setup in person. I think mine will be cramped with the short bed and cab-height camper, but doable. Now that the Jeep is back together, maybe I can find some time to work on it.

Back