Limiting straps XJ

Keith1138

I found out this past weekend I needed limit straps when I lost a spring on the trail.

My current plan is to weld a tabs on the body and the axel where they are in line with another. The tabs are going to be as far out as possible. Then measuring at full droop right before I loose a spring. Then subtract an inch for every foot because of stretch.

Anything I'm missing?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Don't weld limit strap tabs to the unibody. They'll peel it back.
Instead, install those upper shock mounts that allow you to ditch the stud mount. Mount one end of the strap to the shock through bolt. The other end to a tab or whatever on the axle end.
Here's what I'm referring to
Screenshot_20200520-215518.png

Don't weld limit strap tabs to the unibody. They'll peel it back.
Instead, install those upper shock mounts that allow you to ditch the stud mount. Mount one end of the strap to the shock through bolt. The other end to a tab or whatever on the axle end.
Here's what I'm referring to
View attachment 318335
Well I was trying to avoid buying new shocks...

Problem is there isnt any metal thick enough to properly hold the forces exerted on the limit strap tabs up top.
How about the iron man Andy track bar brace?

It mounts from both sides.

Is it high enough to allow long enough straps?
I would think so since it comes clearance around the oil pan.

Have you measured yet? I have a 18” synergy, but i bet it will be too short for you.

You could do a small plate on the frame or just plate the whole front end. This got me by for a short time.

3bb720ec08e1c91d067d5ac035a748d3.jpg

What is your real problem you are trying to solve? If it is only the coil popping out then put in some real coil spring retainers that ruffstuff or iron rock off-road sell. For me it was my driveshaft running out of angle due to my Dana 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Keith1138 are doing a limit strap on each side or just a center strap?
I'm doing a limit strap on each end. I have enough down travel to spit a spring and spacer. I've read those retainers will wear out springs fast.

Have you measured yet? I have a 18” synergy, but i bet it will be too short for you.
18 might work depending where I mount them.

I have never heard of the coil retainers wearing out the springs or anything. If losing a spring on flex is your issue, retainers would solve it.
Of course if excessive downtravel is causing brake line fatigue or driveline issues, limit straps would be a better fix.

You could do a small plate on the frame or just plate the whole front end. This got me by for a short time.

3bb720ec08e1c91d067d5ac035a748d3.jpg

What is your real problem you are trying to solve? If it is only the coil popping out then put in some real coil spring retainers that ruffstuff or iron rock off-road sell. For me it was my driveshaft running out of angle due to my Dana 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have scrap plating that I was thinking about using that way the load is spread out.

I have never heard of the coil retainers wearing out the springs or anything. If losing a spring on flex is your issue, retainers would solve it.
Of course if excessive downtravel is causing brake line fatigue or driveline issues, limit straps would be a better fix.
Something about they stretch them out and the springs aren't designed to stretch. It was on a cherokee forum.

The coil retainers only keep the bottom of the coil captive. The top of the coil stays in place via sliding on the OEM bumpstop tower.
See the bottom of my coil stayed in place because of my perches and c gussest. The top of my spring was below my bump stop perches. Thats is how I lost the spring.

I thought yall were talking about the ones that go on top of the spring also.

See the bottom of my coil stayed in place because of my perches and c gussest. The top of my spring was below my bump stop perches. Thats is how I lost the spring.

Well then, you either need limit straps or an appropriate length sway bar/shock combo.

Well then, you either need limit straps or an appropriate length sway bar/shock combo.
I don't run any sway bars. I'm trying to avoid buying new shocks. Since using them as your suspension stops can ruin them.

What the hell are you using to properly limit/tune your suspension travel, your brake lines?
Nothing thats why I lost a coil spring on down travel lol. I was hoping my arms were going to bind before anything limited out.

#firstbuildprobs

Back