Linville Gorge/SR 1238

YJJPWrangler

We are supposed to be heading up to Linville Gorge this weekend to shoot maternity pics with the wife. Does anyone know the conditions of SR 1238?

Thanks

So long as the snow and ice is just snow, if you're in any type of 4wd SUV or truck you will have no issue. On a dry day any car with decent ground clearance and an average driver is fine.

Here's one of the "bad spots" people were complaining about in the facebook group last week:
1642604587468.png

1642604609525.png

It typically does not get scraped, and there is a chance of snow on Friday. That will actually help with some of the rough spots in the road, but obviously traction changes. I don't think there is anywhere too steep from the north entrance up down to Wiseman's View. Coming in from the south side might have a few challenges.

Last edited:
@jeepinmatt I've driven the road before when we went hiking and I do remember that spot. The original plan was to go Saturday but it looks like I might be pulling an all day/night at work due to snow so we could push to Sunday. We typically come in on the south side. Im not worried about snow but any ice could be a challenge. Should be a fun day trip.

@jeepinmatt I've driven the road before when we went hiking and I do remember that spot. The original plan was to go Saturday but it looks like I might be pulling an all day/night at work due to snow so we could push to Sunday. We typically come in on the south side. Im not worried about snow but any ice could be a challenge. Should be a fun day trip.
Psh. Send it. You'll be fine. And if not, some overlander will pull you out ;)

Back