List of awesome rv campgrounds

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
I am looking for recomendations, stories, and ideas for places to take the rv and family.

My ideal spot would of course be level and have elec and water hookups.
There would be water in the immediate vicinity ..lake, river, stream, ocean.
Shaded lots are a plus!
Stay within NC and border states.

Our family really likes Morrow Mountain State Park.

We tent camp, but it’s on Lake Tillery.

They do have electric and water hookup sites. Don’t know about big or level sites on those loops.

My favorite is and always be Oregon Inlet. Just across the dunes from the ocean...just far enough from Nags Head and Hatteras to get shitty cell coverage. Beach driving access if that tickles your fancy, and every now and again, you might see some deer or a black bear in camp.

While the kids are still young, I recommend the Yogi Bear Jellystone Campgrounds (Tabor City, Golden Valley, soon Asheboro). Also if you wanna hit the mountains scope out Anchor Down Campground. It’s stupid nice.

you have kids, most KOAs will have more than enough to keep them busy and entertained, some are more destination oriented and others are just a nice clean place to park home while you go elsewhere for fun.

There was a JellyStone near Marion, it’s changed names now, HiddenCreek is what it’s called now, looks fun from Google maps, there is a new Jelly Stone near Bostic N.C. Google doesn’t show it yet.

Zooland near Asheboro and the N.C. Zoo is supposed to be a good time, we tried to go over Easter a few years ago and they were booked up, ended up at a place called Trails End (don’t bother)

There is a new Jelly Stone near Asheboro

While the kids are still young, I recommend the Yogi Bear Jellystone Campgrounds (Tabor City, Golden Valley, soon Asheboro). Also if you wanna hit the mountains scope out Anchor Down Campground. It’s stupid nice.
If anyone visits the golden valley yogi, stop by, we live about 5 mins away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Flintlock in Boone! Has creek running through it. Has bluegrass playing many nights. Has a great store, lots of shade, nice bath house. Close to Boone so lots of extra activities around. We always thought it was Awesome!

We always use our own facilities, so have no comment or knowledge on the quality of the bathhouses at any of these. As long as it has water and electric and a close-enough-to-level parking spot, we are happy. Sewer is nice, but we can do 4 days easily without dumping.

Hungry Mother State Park (in the Fall is great). Lake in walking distance. Pics: October Hungry Mother State Park - Virginia - David Dusenbury
Roan Mtn. State Park in TN. Pics Below
Millers in Laurel Springs NC. Pics Below
Myrtle Beach State Park -- sites in the trees (shade). Easy walk to ocean (1000'). Longer walk or drive to fishing pier (1/2 mi.)
Holden Beach Pier & Campground. Camp and fish not much else to say.

We have had a couple of good KOA experiences:
Townsend TN (near back entrance to Cades Cove, don't have to go thru G-burg at all)
Charleston, SC

Kerr Lake:
Kerr Lake State Recreation Area (Bullocksville) if you want to park right on the water but not swim or boat. Sites 47 or 48ish
If you want to beach a boat, Hibernia or Henderson Point
Privacy, more low-key, not crowded, ramps and dock space, Steele Creek marina & campground

Roan Mtn State Park in TN. Easy few mile drive to Carver's Gap hike for sunrise. Paved sites. No lake or ocean, but absolutely fantastic pizza in town.

DSC_1219-M.jpg

DSC_1367-M.jpg

DSC_1367x_pizza1-M.jpg

Miller's Family Campground in Laurel Springs NC. Get a site up on the ridge (like #63) and the view is good. Again, no lake/river/ocean, but relaxing.

DSC_1805-M.jpg

20160729_154052-M.jpg

We went to Twin Lakes in Pendleton, SC (5min from Clemson) a couple weeks ago & it definitely made the list for one of our favorites!

All sites were on the lake, level, have water + electricity hook-ups, & shaded. The campground has 2 dump stations (definitely a plus).
We went to Twin Lakes in Pendleton, SC (5min from Clemson) a couple weeks ago & it definitely made the list for one of our favorites!

All sites were on the lake, level, have water + electricity hook-ups, & shaded. The campground has 2 dump stations (definitely a plus).

That’s a nice place. We used to camp for the games in Clemson and the only thing that kept us out of there was the fact that they lock the gate at night. Do they still do that?

We’d stay at KOA (exit 14) and later we stored at KOA and pulled to campus to tailgate all weekend.

I love that area, but I may be a little biased. :D

We've camped at lots of NC State Park campgrounds with RV hookup sites, some with nice bath houses (they are working through rebuilding or renovating a lot of them), great hiking trails, and some with sites on the water.

South Mountains State Park, Stone Mountain State Park, Hanging Rock State Park, Lake Powhatan and Davidson River in Pisgah, Linville Falls Campground on the BRP...

Oh, Grayson Highlands in Virginia, too.

We just got back from 4 days at Jellystone in Bostic. We had a blast. The water park/pool kept the kids busy (and me). Actually spent more time swilling in the lake though.

My wife spent many summers here when she was younger. It used to be the Girl Scout camp.

Lots of cabins, lots of level pull thru with full hookups, tent camping, and a ton more on the way.

Oh yeah, my truck didn’t move the whole time. They have golf cart rentals (worth every penny), a decent store, a bar, and a short order grill.

Last edited:
And NOT crowded.

75EB05D5-B15C-4442-9ABF-F7CDBD5E9275.jpeg
FCBC70A4-5E23-437F-8B91-7E5D41847F6D.jpeg

We just got back from 4 days at Jellystone in Bostic. We had a blast. The water park/pool kept the kids busy (and me). Actually spent more time swilling in the lake though.

My wife spent many summers here when she was younger. It used to be the Girl Scout camp.

Lots of cabins, lots of level pull thru with full hookups, tent camping, and a ton more on the way.

That’s a nice place. We used to camp for the games in Clemson and the only thing that kept us out of there was the fact that they lock the gate at night. Do they still do that?

We’d stay at KOA (exit 14) and later we stored at KOA and pulled to campus to tailgate all weekend.

I love that area, but I may be a little biased. :D
I love the Clemson area! Yep, unfortunately they lock the gate at 10. For our usual trips I wouldn't mind but we were there for a wedding & had to book it to make sure we made it back in time! But $24/night was a steal compared to $150/night for a hotel full of my in-laws :D

We used to go to Davidson River campground in Brevard back in the day. Have to get there early like Wed or Thursday to get a 1st come 1st serve spot.
You can Tube on the river and just walk back and put in all within the campground. Just rent tubes for the weekend up the street or bring your own.
Flintlock in Bone gets a vote from us too.
Edisto Beach state Park too!

UGh we need an RV again Clark!

Ive never stayed in the campground section, so I can't comment on that, but we go to James Island County Park all the time. It's Charleston....so you know it's gonna be flat. Water park and splash pad is open during the summer. Big playground for the little kids. Rock wall. Nice paved trails for biking/walking. Huge dog park on the lake. Crabbing dock on a tidal creek. Come at Christmas and you can drive the loop around the park and see some really good Christmas lights. Not far from downtown or Folly beach. I think it would be a great way to visit Charleston if you haven't been before.

Ive never stayed in the campground section, so I can't comment on that, but we go to James Island County Park all the time. It's Charleston....so you know it's gonna be flat. Water park and splash pad is open during the summer. Big playground for the little kids. Rock wall. Nice paved trails for biking/walking. Huge dog park on the lake. Crabbing dock on a tidal creek. Come at Christmas and you can drive the loop around the park and see some really good Christmas lights. Not far from downtown or Folly beach. I think it would be a great way to visit Charleston if you haven't been before.

We are planning to stay there next trip to Charleston. Stayed in KOA at Mt Pleasant last time.

We have visited the park several times when staying on folly. We have actually talked about coming down and staying at the campground this thanksgiving. Campground looks pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have recommendations for RV campgrounds around the Virginia Creeper Trail? Heading there with the kiddos first weekend of October.

Back