List of awesome rv campgrounds

Dan River Campground in Stoneville is a good one too. They will pick you up from your site to go tubing down the river and have a nice pool for the kids. They have a fishing pond, although I’ve never seen anyone catch anything the couple times I’ve stayed there.

Anyone have recommendations for RV campgrounds around the Virginia Creeper Trail? Heading there with the kiddos first weekend of October.

We have stayed at Grindstone (USFS) and liked it, Grayson Highlands SP in the area is good and great hiking trails right there, but no cell service last time I was there (have to drive down to 58). Hungry Mother State Park is about 40 minutes from Damascus off 81 and is nice.

There is a (newer) campground just outside Damascus. Haven't been to it, but have heard from somebody that has. Nice stay, but really just a parking lot with full hookups. Laurel Creek RV Park Damascus, Va

Creekside RV park is right in town. Not a lot of room, tight spaces. But is right in town. If you eat/drink/take a shuttle to the trailhead, you don't need to touch the car. I think they are self-contained rigs only.

We have stayed at Grindstone (USFS) and liked it, Grayson Highlands SP in the area is good and great hiking trails right there, but no cell service last time I was there (have to drive down to 58). Hungry Mother State Park is about 40 minutes from Damascus off 81 and is nice.

There is a (newer) campground just outside Damascus. Haven't been to it, but have heard from somebody that has. Nice stay, but really just a parking lot with full hookups. Laurel Creek RV Park Damascus, Va

Creekside RV park is right in town. Not a lot of room, tight spaces. But is right in town. If you eat/drink/take a shuttle to the trailhead, you don't need to touch the car. I think they are self-contained rigs only.

I reserved a spot at Grindstone. Space 44, which is supposed to be good for up to a 70’ camper/truck/trailer. Should be good with the 40’ pusher.

I’m going to look at the other parks in town and check them out, but by the pictures I’ve seen, I’m sure Grindstone is much nicer as the spots are more spread out and secluded, which is what I’m after when camping.

Anyone have recommendations for RV campgrounds around the Virginia Creeper Trail? Heading there with the kiddos first weekend of October.

There is a small one at the bottom I've stayed at Laurel Creek Campground. It has full hookups a little tight getting in a out (36' Gas), but easily walk or bike into Damascus. If you prefer more solitude and privacy Beartree Recreation at the top of Whitetop is my favorite. There are no hookups, but there is a dump station and pretty sure there is a fill station (I didn't use it) going up the mountain there are a few pull offs on the sides and depending on your rig length its free parking no hook ups no dump station. There is a lake at Beartree though small, but has a nice little swimming area.

There is a small one at the bottom I've stayed at Laurel Creek Campground. It has full hookups a little tight getting in a out (36' Gas), but easily walk or bike into Damascus. If you prefer more solitude and privacy Beartree Recreation at the top of Whitetop is my favorite. There are no hookups, but there is a dump station and pretty sure there is a fill station (I didn't use it) going up the mountain there are a few pull offs on the sides and depending on your rig length its free parking no hook ups no dump station. There is a lake at Beartree though small, but has a nice little swimming area.

We ended up getting a spot at Beartree for this weekend coming up.

Stone mountain state park is one of my favorites
cc81062cfdde27ac69203c15bf041993.jpg
0ebd9394a05682903117f4c633439b0b.jpg
1d86dd1ef2d6ffedb33a47bb60b04ae2.jpg
304e27218a1ae872aeff55150c145a3d.jpg

Last edited:
Dan River Campground in Stoneville is a good one too. They will pick you up from your site to go tubing down the river and have a nice pool for the kids. They have a fishing pond, although I’ve never seen anyone catch anything the couple times I’ve stayed there.

Slow on posting this, but I took your advice @Andy J.

Been about a month ago, but we camped at Dan River Campground and had a great time. Decided not to go down the river as it had rained heavily a few days before we got there. River was high and swift. The girlies had fun in the pool and I did some good fishing !
20200613_211330.jpg

20200613_144019.jpg

20200613_154049.jpg

20200613_144110.jpg

Some places we liked on our trip out west.

Green River Campground in Dinosaur NM. No hookups but even in July, it’s cool enough at night to not need AC. Shaded and good space to the spots. Right beside the Green River. Convenient to the park.

RV campground in Mammoth Cave NP. Can’t remember the name but it’s nice. Spaces are big and reasonably secluded. Some spots are close to each other and some of the wooded underbrush is cleared making spaces seem close to each other. But overall, nice place. Again, no hookups but nice place. Bring your own firewood as the local store only sells pressed sawdust “firewood”.

the Portal RV Park in Moab was nice. Not very spacious but convenient to Moab and the parks. Clean and organized and has a nice pool.

wahweap RV Park in Page, AZ. It’s desert, so no real shade or trees. But this park is convenient to the the lake and other places. Clean and spacious.

grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone was nice. Seemed a little too structured for us but was clean, well organized, and nice. Close to Yellowstone. Playground was sub par. No pool.

Palmer Gulch KOA Bear Mt Rushmore was probably our favorite park. Lots of activities for the kids, was very laid back, and convenient to Rushmore and Crazy Horse. They offered UTV rentals on the spot as well as golf cart rentals and even car rentals. They also have horseback riding on the site, so no reason to leave if you like these activities. Store is well stocked and reasonable prices for things. Multiple options for restaurants on site as well. Pool and water slide on site. Gem minining on site. Bike rentals on site. All kinds of stuff, so much so that the kids never wanted to leave the campground to visit Rushmore, etc. probably our favorite campground of our 6 week trip. Sites can be a little crowded but it’s rustic (no paved curbs, just rudimentary gravel drives. Pet friendly too.

riverside plantation RV park in Pigeon Forge was nice as well. Spaces were reasonably neat and organized. Plenty for the kids to do (pool, bounce pillow, etc). They even have a RV/bus wash on site. Can use golf carts to get around if you have one or rent one from them. Good location. Pickle ball court. Only gripe was the pool closes at 8pm. At 8pm, it’s still light out and people are still relaxing and using the pool. Management had to chase out no less than 35 people out of the pool at 8pm every day. I’m used to pools closing no earlier than 9pm, which is more typical.

Stayed at a fantastic place this past week. Near Floyd, VA. Sites are few and far between...you can see in the pics on the following link....where you see a power post and picnic table, there is a FHU site. Will definitely return.

Floyd Virginia - David Dusenbury

Roan Mtn State Park just over line in TN is great. Lots of programs, events, and the classic Rhododendron Festival. Fishing in the Doe river, hikes for the kids to see the fireflies, music and art festivals, crafts. Really nice location, feels like you're in the woods cuz you are. Roan Mountain State Park Used to tent camp there as a family, parents and aunt/uncle would bring their RVs.

Davidson someone mentioned which is on the way to Sliding Rock is nice near Brevard.

Slow on posting this, but I took your advice @Andy J.

Been about a month ago, but we camped at Dan River Campground and had a great time. Decided not to go down the river as it had rained heavily a few days before we got there. River was high and swift. The girlies had fun in the pool and I did some good fishing !
View attachment 322969
View attachment 322970
View attachment 322971
View attachment 322972
Not sure why I just saw this now, but I’m glad it worked out for you! Nice fish too!

Our favorite spot is Carolina Pines in Conway, SC. Less than 2 years old, but has a killer water park for the kids, bowling, putt putt, a serinity pool, indoor pool, gen store, arcade, and 2 restaurants and a bar. Sites have plenty of room. We have been 6 times this year and plan to go for Christmas. It’s been the standard we’ve compared other campgrounds too.

Yogi Bear in Ashboro wasn’t horrible. Didn’t have a lot to offer as far as entertainment for the kids when we went in February.

Yogi Bear in Natural Bridge VA wasn’t horrible. One thing I hated was the use of Gas Golf carts. Damn teenagers were racing up and down the roads all day and night....that’s how I know I’m getting old.

We have a college visit coming up for my daughter who is checking out UNC Wilmington. Any suggestions for campgrounds near Wilmington? I know Carolina Pines would be a fallback if not.

We have a college visit coming up for my daughter who is checking out UNC Wilmington. Any suggestions for campgrounds near Wilmington? I know Carolina Pines would be a fallback if not.

There is a koa and then there is a flat grass lot area in Carolina beach also for rv with hookup right on the main road, or maybe Carolina beach state park, and I think something in snows cut before you cross the cb bridge

I went to uncw but a lot has changed since I was there

There is a koa and then there is a flat grass lot area in Carolina beach also for rv with hookup right on the main road, or maybe Carolina beach state park, and I think something in snows cut before you cross the cb bridge

I went to uncw but a lot has changed since I was there
Not sure how close it is to UNCW, but Carolina Beach State Park is a nice one. All the lots are well shaded and the fire rings/grill grates are nice.

Back