Little Exo testing

hope you are going to put some braces in the corners of the exo. It will make the cage alot stronger. Looks good as it is but wouldn't want to see it after a real roll.

May as well have been an RTI ramp ........ NEVER, in 20+ years of wheeling have I come across or even seen an RTI ramp on a trail.......... :D

JB

The truck has been slammed hard 4 times....not layed over, not gently pushed....slammed over 4 times. The cage did not twist at all. He is/already has(havent talked to him in a day or two). From seeing a couple of the flops personally *I* think it will be fine. Steve is a great welder and fabricator.....he definitely wouldnt halfass anything.

Josh

looking at the bends, my guess would be pipe. or maybe tube in a pipe bender.

You guys are amazing.. I can't see any detail in the bends at all to incidicate the type of bender used... Maybe I just use too small a resolution..

Punkskalar said:
That WILL NOT hold up in a real off road rollover situation... Please do some more work to it if you plan on it being a piece of safety equipment....

i don't care one way or the other, but how the hell do you know from looking at the picture.

WTF is it with these responses??

IM not saying its good enough or it NEEDS more tube but from just looking at it most people rely on more tubing and gussets etc........not knocking the fab skills because I and most know the work involved in something like this but we just want to make sure that this guy makes it home if something really unforseen happens. :smokin:

buggybuilder said:
IM not saying its good enough or it NEEDS more tube but from just looking at it most people rely on more tubing and gussets etc........not knocking the fab skills because I and most know the work involved in something like this but we just want to make sure that this guy makes it home if something really unforseen happens. :smokin:

i agree completely it looks like it needs some gusseting and braces, but to say that it WILL NOT work from looking at some pictures is a little far fetched...

Well I agree with you also.I mean just looking at a pic and saying it WILL not work is wrong.We have no Idea if he plans on ultra hardcore trails and one thing I am sure of is its alot safer than it was.It might not stand up to a quadruple end over end but maybe this guy doesnt put himself in that particular situation.I know it CAN happen and theres is a sort of standard for cage building be it exo or otherwise and hopefully everyone is concerned with this guys safety and not just jumpimg on the triangulation/gusset bandwagon weve seen so much of.Rock on! :smokin:

You guys are amazing.. I can't see any detail in the bends at all to incidicate the type of bender used...
it's fairly evident to me some of the bends are a little flatened out, and overall just don't have the "clean" look of a tubing bender. could be wrong though, i was just guessing (hardly educated) based on the pics.

RufusTheRam said:
it's fairly evident to me some of the bends are a little flatened out, and overall just don't have the "clean" look of a tubing bender. could be wrong though, i was just guessing (hardly educated) based on the pics.

Yeah, i guess you're right.. looking again, the bends have a very tight radius... tighter than any tubing bender I've seen...

I don't see how either of you can even guess that would be pipe, or that a pipe bender was used. It very well may be, but saying that the radius of the bends looks tight is BS, my bender will bend a pretty tight radius IMO, tight enough to do a 180* bend and use them as shock hoops. If anything they look like a wide radius to me, and how you can see flattening of the tube? I do not know...

Whatever it is, more bracing never hurts anything, and I hope it has been painted by now cause rust sucks.

I made my statement off the front bar, as it (to me) looks somewhat kinked, and not a smooth, constant bend like a JD2 or similar provides.

Pics are a bitch though...

I hope it serves him well. :)

Since that picture we have added a lot of gussets. I don't have a final picture. Hell I'm not sure I'm finished. Most if it is 1-3/4 DOM. I did not have enough to do it all DOM so I did the hoops and over the cab out of DOM. The rest of it is 1-1/4 HREW pipe (1-11/16 OD). I have added gussest at all mounting points. Also there are 2 gussets tieing into the bumper. The bends were done with a tube bender. Good eye Ivan. I figured I didn't want to fork out the money for a tube bender on my first cage. I think it turned out rather well. And for the people saying that it wont hold up. I don't think that I'll ever put it more than on the lid. I just didnt want to crush the cab in that instance. I know everything isn't that predictable but that's the idea. Also there are a lot of things I'm not happy with. But this was my first time using a bender of any sorts. About to do a second one for a 4 runner soon. I think it will turn out better.

Back