Living in the mountains

Tennessee is kinda like SC with no inspections, cheaper gas, and fireworks, but it is better because it has mountains and no state income tax.
My wife would argue that cause we have no beech.

Tennessee is kinda like SC with no inspections, cheaper gas, and fireworks, but it is better because it has mountains and no state income tax. I'd take i26 north out of Asheville, cross the state line, and start looking there. It's like 30 minutes from the state line to Asheville, and the mountains are beautiful as you cross into TN.

I just hope you and all your type keep believing SC has no mountains....

I just hope you and all your type keep believing SC has no mountains....
Im aware SC has some nice mountains, but it's not the same as NW NC and SE TN.

I know I keep sayin it but TN is hard to beat.Just don't come here and act like a jack ass,we have enuf of those already.

We went to TN in late October for some fall leaf watching and hiking about 3-4 yrs ago. We loved it, and will definitely consider that area. I want to go back again in the next couple of years to do some more exploring in that side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Im aware SC has some nice mountains, but it's not the same as NW NC and SE TN.
I was just busting balls and making a joke. You are obviously right there isn't near the same topography. But it does shock lots of folks that you can live in the mountains in SC and be 15 minutes from Brevard.

I was just busting balls and making a joke. You are obviously right there isn't near the same topography. But it does shock lots of folks that you can live in the mountains in SC and be 15 minutes from Brevard.
This.
We have recently discovered camping and hiking in the Jocassee and Oconee areas. 30 miles from home and very secluded.
Only downside is an abundance of orange in those geographical areas...:flipoff2:

You are going even further, than I was. I was thinking Cedar Mountain area and the drop down to Greenville.

Where you are talking is what I truly refer to as God's country.

Yall ever hiked/camped around Burrel's Ford or Big Bend Rd area. Big Bend Falls is a cool day hike. Too much elevation change for my fat ass these days but yall would eat it up. And damn god wild rout fishing too if thats your thing....But we are darn near slipping into N. ga territory now

Disclaimer...didn't read anything but the first post, so I don't know if the thread has derailed or not yet. Not a mountain guy myself, but the wife loves them (went to WCU), and her folks bought a place up in Linville a couple years back. Personally, I couldn't believe how cheap it was...like $120k for a 1400 sq/ft 2bd/1bth. It's pretty neat for what it is, just not my cup of tea. For someone looking to retire/move, seems like the ticket. For someone just looking to get away, I can think of a lot of places I can/would rather go with $120k.

You are going even further, than I was. I was thinking Cedar Mountain area and the drop down to Greenville.

Where you are talking is what I truly refer to as God's country.

Yall ever hiked/camped around Burrel's Ford or Big Bend Rd area. Big Bend Falls is a cool day hike. Too much elevation change for my fat ass these days but yall would eat it up. And damn god wild rout fishing too if thats your thing....But we are darn near slipping into N. ga territory now

Yup.
To be honest, from our house we can be in:
Dupont in 15 minutes
Davidson River/ Pisgah Natl Forest in 10 minutes
Turkey Pen in 5 minutes
Pathertown in 30 minutes
Oskar Blues Brewery or Sierra Nevada Brewery in 10 minutes

All are hard to beat and we're still 15 minutes to civilization. Pretty darn happy right here

Yup.
Dupont in 15 minutes
Turkey Pen in 5 minutes
Pathertown in 30 minutes

All are hard to beat and we're still 15 minutes to civilization. Pretty darn happy right here
I really don't know you well so don't take this wrong. It is in jest..............your location and all the goodies make you an asshole!:beer: Maybe a flaming asshole since I reckoned it as Asheville, not Horse Shoe. Does that mean you live in Lucky Town USA?

Lake Jocasses is a beautiful area. Lake Keowee is also very awesome

I really don't know you well so don't take this wrong. It is in jest..............your location and all the goodies make you an asshole!:beer: Maybe a flaming asshole since I reckoned it as Asheville, not Horse Shoe. Does that mean you live in Lucky Town USA?
Feel free to come visit anytime my friend

Lake Jocasses is a beautiful area. Lake Keowee is also very awesome

We have been talking about renting a house there for a summer vacation and checking it out.

Yup.
Dupont in 15 minutes
Turkey Pen in 5 minutes
Pathertown in 30 minutes

Damn. You run faster than Forest Gump if you can be to all those places in that amount of time.

I live in Todd about 15 min north of Boone. Moved back up here after living in the Raleigh area for a few years.

Boone can get crowded at times - but except for a few big college weekends, is a very tolerable town for traffic.

From Todd it’s 15 min to Trade, TN and about 45 min to the VA line in Grayson county (Mouth of Wilson).

There’s cheaper mountain land still available; it just depends on how far you want to drive to Lowe’s or the grocery store.

I was able to find a good happy medium between living in a rural spot and being no farther than 15-20 minutes to get necessities.

I am 1/5th of a mile from the New River if I take a left out of the driveway, and 3/5th of a mile from the New River if I take a right out of the driveway. I live on an oxbow section of the river and cross it either way I leave. I feel pretty blessed.

Only thing that sucks, is that Mtn City closed down. Richlands and Brown Mtn are still open. Then the Flats and the Shop aren’t too far off the mountain.

went to visit my parents Saturday, this is the view from the living room

24991427_10215245882604999_3482805644835044714_n.jpg

the road going in
24909974_10215245884725052_8752438654267111963_n.jpg

SC mountains are on our radar too... I’m looking for land to purchase in the next year or so and have seen some really nice plots up there, but It doesn’t have the elevation that nc and tn have, which IMHO is what makes it all worthwhile

SC mountains are on our radar too... I’m looking for land to purchase in the next year or so and have seen some really nice plots up there, but It doesn’t have the elevation that nc and tn have, which IMHO is what makes it all worthwhile

Same here. I absolutely HATE hot weather, so I want a place with high elevation to help escape the heat. We took a short weekend trip this past summer to the mountains and stayed one night at the Little Switzerland Inn, and hiked around Mount Mitchell one day, and it was 58 degrees up there at 11am in July! You could watch the thermometer steadily drop in temperature as we drove higher.

Just pulled the trigger on 30 acres in Patrick County VA!
About 95% wooded, private road (shared with 2 others) 1/2 mile from the black top, spring fed creek w/ 3 small ponds, and the food will come to us! :D
Very well maintained & partially updated 1965 brick house with a couple of out buildings.

Only difference is we'll move (after the W-S house is sold), I'll commute a couple days each week, and ain't got that long until retirement. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• 20171210_130304.jpg
    20171210_130304.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 20171210_130726.jpg
    20171210_130726.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 130
Back