LJ exhaust routing and new muffler

Colby!

I will be installing under armor onto my LJ at some point soon
my main question is: what muffler to run - anyone have any ideas on a muffler thats a bit smaller than the stock *TJ* muffler? i want it to sound as close to stock as possible (read: quiet)
The LJ muffler is enormous, or atleast i assume it is the stock muffler. when the PO installed the 4 inch full traction ultimate lift kit they sort of hacked the rear exhaust together. it runs under the wishbone shaped upper control arm that makes it a 3 link
as a result of this they installed a t/c drop in order to keep it from constantly contacting the exhaust pipe...i want to get rid of this. i know it will take some custom exhaust pipe routing...here is a crude drawing of what i hope it will end up like, id like to avoid the muffler being near the savvy skid as space will be pretty tight even without it
my crude drawing:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__3pUkA_0zrBI_TizuqtN41eI_AAAAAAAAApae19e4929e8594856bc94dc9da5e4517.jpg

you can see here how the pipe runs right under the wishbone:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__Lq_C8Ge64AQ_Tiztm1X_erI_AAAAAAAAAow_sIscXpfrbPQ_s640_DSC02794.JPG

another shot:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__miTUn8ZgUNQ_TiztncBhihI_AAAAAAAAAo0_hjkyuj4CoPg_s640_DSC02795.JPG

Front of muffler partially above skid:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__sgKRS7SbyUQ_Tiztmin_WeI_AAAAAAAAAos_jFtgknP0z98_s640_DSC02793.JPG

wider shot:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__dt9uSMh6GGA_Tiztnm0eCMI_AAAAAAAAAo4_rYXEfiOi8TU_s640_DSC02796.JPG

current tailpipe setup..i suspect it was run like that to avoid the roof rack frame supports, i will be having it tucked up a bit higher and a slight bend to send exhaust away from the jeep:
alh6.googleusercontent.com___DDAVz5Nq48_Tiztn4VO_OI_AAAAAAAAAo8_Rsm6tvJ2vfY_s640_DSC02797.JPG

obligatory picture showing off the jeep :p
IMG_20110319_144215.jpg

keep in mind the jeep will be getting 1.25 inch BL and 1 inch MML and savvy under armor with new AEV 3inch springs and OME shocks...and yes im aware the pinion angle is all kinds of screwed up....itll be getting a CV shaft when all the work is done
SO....what muffler is smaller but as quiet as possible in the allowed amount of space? i know its going to get a bit louder no matter what but im trying to avoid the droning on the highway of a loud muffler...my tires already do enough of that

flowmaster "hushpower" comes to mind, friend had one on an xj that wasnt obnoxious. also, the longest 'glasspack' (perforated core for best performance) you can fit would be another yet slightly louder option.

I went with a flowmaster super 44 when I did my tummy tuck. It's a little louder than stock, but doesn't drone at all on the highway and easily tucked up above the framerails.

I was running a Borla and had the tailpipe routed like this.... The muffler was alot smaller and tucked up in well. Sounded pretty good.

ai231.photobucket.com_albums_ee238_RubiconLJ_New_20Sliders_205_24_08_PassRear.jpg

What/who are those corners?

Back