LMM (08 Duramax 6.6) turbo replacement

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Couple quick questions..

Does it come out the top or bottom?
Top, I'm thinking.

Bolts holding it down to the motor, tricks?
Thinking swivel and extension from top.

I think that's all the questions I have. Service manual doesn't specify those. If no one knows, I'll figure it out.

IMG_20171022_000607074_s.jpg
IMG_20171022_000448218_HDRs.jpg

LLY was 04.5 - 05. A 2008 would be an LMM.

Yes, it comes out the top...and you'll probably want to set it on fire when it's all said and done :D

My only concern is...why is the transmission out for a turbo replacement?

'08. Service manual says pull trans. I don't see how you would get to the exhaust pipes in the back of the turbo without pulling the trans. Heck I can only see the pedestal bolt on the passenger side, I'm figuring that it's easier to get the driver side from underneath.. I looked at a few different angles and don't see how to get them from on top, considering I can't even see them through the 1/32" gap between the turbo and head. Please do enlighten me as to how it can be done without pulling the trans... I don't see, unless you pull the cab.
IMG_20171022_194529985s.jpg

Last edited:
I still wasn't sure if we were working with an LLY or LMM...that would make a difference :D

I still wasn't sure if we were working with an LLY or LMM...that would make a difference :D
There! I fixed the title sir. I thought I was the one working on it anyway, but since you offered.... The turbo is out.. you can come do your part and put the new turbo on.. Only one broken exhaust bolt, but that's one too many for my liking.

That's not bad! I have an LB7 and the bolts on the back of the turbo for the downpipe are notorious for breaking. Not looking forward to that.

Ok so it went in easier than it came out of it's hole. Aside from normal exhaust issues, I'd probably do another. I give props to whoever does it without pulling the trans or cab. I'll pull the trans if I have to do another. Probably take half the time because I know where to feed extensions and what needs to be used where. For the pedestal bolts, you use a swivel 17 with 3/8 extensions. The forward bolt on the driver side, remove the upper coolant tube and you can get it. To remove the upper coolant tube, feed a flex 17 on 9" of extension under the fuel lines but above another and it's about a straight shot. To actually remove the turbo, remove the ccv tube and jack the rear of the motor up, rotate the turbo ccw as it comes up. Watch the oil drain line. It practically falls back in. I bent the left side of the ac line out of my way a little but didn't discharge it. I also spun the v band clamp on the exhaust to where the nut was on top.

Hope that helps someone else. Now to fix the broken bolt on the manifold, ugh.

Ok so it went in easier than it came out of it's hole. Aside from normal exhaust issues, I'd probably do another. I give props to whoever does it without pulling the trans or cab. I'll pull the trans if I have to do another. Probably take half the time because I know where to feed extensions and what needs to be used where. For the pedestal bolts, you use a swivel 17 with 3/8 extensions. The forward bolt on the driver side, remove the upper coolant tube and you can get it. To remove the upper coolant tube, feed a flex 17 on 9" of extension under the fuel lines but above another and it's about a straight shot. To actually remove the turbo, remove the ccv tube and jack the rear of the motor up, rotate the turbo ccw as it comes up. Watch the oil drain line. It practically falls back in. I bent the left side of the ac line out of my way a little but didn't discharge it. I also spun the v band clamp on the exhaust to where the nut was on top.

Hope that helps someone else. Now to fix the broken bolt on the manifold, ugh.
Makes me love my Cummins that much more [emoji13] sorry I had to after reading that

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Makes me love my international 4700 where the dog house comes out and panels above trans come off for access to everything

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I removed and cleaned the turbo on my dad's 06 lbz. It took 12 hours and i cussed most of the time. It was very similar to my old 03 6.0 psd, but I could remove the 6.0 turbo clean it and be driving 4 hours later! You can tell the Japanese had some design input on the duramax... Everything has brackets bolted all over supporting and bracing other parts.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Back