Loan Questions...

ShyHiK5 said:
OK I'm probably in the minorrity (if not the only one with my thoughts) but I would NEVER borrow money for any vehicle, especially a toy.

No you not the one. I will never have a "car payment" again. I have 4 and they are all paid for. the only thing I might do would be to take a home equity loan to buy a new car for the wife. But as least I can then wright off the interest.

a 88 with 170k would be worth maybe 1000- 1500 if it was real nice. I paid $600 for my 96 XJ sport with 159k

i've learned my lesson the hard way a few times by seeing a vehicle i want, then going home and dwelling on it and thinking about how cool it would be to have until i get myself to the point that no one could talk me out of it...

hold out for something. my first 2 years at ASU i didn't have a vehicle...and that was cool. i had a good excuse not to come home for crappy weddings or obscure relatives birthdays! and i never had to drive around town either. never had to pay to park. never had to take a bus to where my car was parked.

i'd listen to these guys, they are all trying to help you out, as none of them have any vested interest in that jeep or are trying to sell you one of theirs. they are just honestly trying to look out for ya.

good luck man, and if a jeep is what you really want, wait for the best one...not the one that is cheaper than the rest but you don't know why.

if you are not dead set on a jeep...you should be able to come up with a fun/affordable/dependable ride in no time. there are plenty in the for sale section right now.

paulevans76 said:
no. $3k for an 88 with 172k miles? what happened to getting an Isuzu, btw? you can get a hell of a trooper for $3000 :flipoff2:

still looking. In fact im going to look at 2 more this weekend :p

I'm sorry if I seemed not to take your advice guys. I generally do this, if I find something i liked, then I obsess over it, and wont listen to ANYONE. Fortunatly this time I think I will listen to some one else...

Ive found the following

1995 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 (6-cylinder, auto, PS, PB, PW, PDL, air, tilt, cruise, AM/FM cassette/CD, alloys. $3,695)

1995 Rodeo ( A/C, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Seats, cruise, CD Player, Automatic, green, great shape. $3500 OBO)

1991 Trooper (4X4, air, heat, stereo cassette, 130k miles. 5 speed, V6. $2400 OBO)

1987 Trooper 4x4 (4-door, 2.3L, 5-speed, PS, PB, red, tan interior, new cylinder head, brakes, tires, exhaust system. Looks and runs perfect. $2500.)

1991 Wrangler (6 cylinder, 5 speed, new soft t op and tires. $3800.)

1991 4Runner SR5 (air, PW, PDL, cruise, sunroof, AT, highway miles, lady owned. Reduced $2,300 OBO)

1994 Amigo ("looks and runs good" no price, thats all thats in the ad :( )

The question is, what would you guys reccommend in terms of..

A. Cost of insurance
B. Aftermarket Parts avalibility
C. Off-Road Capabilities (I will probably build it into a mildly capable trail rig eventually, but not right away)
D. Reliability

I know thats alot to ask, and I apologize for that.

I'll try not to be an ass this time around :p

Out of those listed and what you say you wanna do, the Wrangler or the
4rnr. Just check it out reall good. Frame, compression rust? everything possible to check out.

Yeah, a lot of after market. Even in stock form pretty good off road, and last a long time and reliable if taken care of.

Toyota makes a durable vehicle.... If the mileage isn't excessive 200k + by all means take a look. If well maintained, 200k isn't a big deal on a toyota.

Another for the 4runner. Good price on a vehicle that will be an EXCELLENT college car. Very reliable and prob more comfy than any of the others ('cept maybe the newer Rodeo - but you get a Toyota instead ;-))

On this one though, just if you don't know - if it has the 3.0 V6, find out if the headgaskets have been replaced. There is a factory recall on them.
If it's the 2.4l 4 cyl (22re), see if she knows anything about the timing chain/guides. The original plastic ones tend to wear out, if replaced w/ metal-backed they go forever.

im going to check the Troopers out first, as that was what I initially wanted.

If they dont anwser their phones tonight, then Im heading down to check out the 4runner sunday!

I got ahold of the guy with the Amigo (one of my ALL time favorites!) and he told me its in pretty good condition, with a hard top!

I got my 88 trooper a year or so go for $1500 with just under 150k miles, one owner, all maintenance records, rebuilt eng, etc. it needed nothing, and it would probably still be in great shape if I kept it closer to stock. for a mild wheeler they are all about even. few inches of lift and bigger tires is easy on all of them. toyota and jeep have more aftermarket, but you will probably be more comfortable in an isuzu (more room for you and your stuff, great camping rigs, etc).

it's up to you, just make sure you check them all out good before you decide.

The Amigo was okay, idled really rough though, not DD worthy with out some work (alot maybe...)

no word on the Trooper sellers!

Please keep your eyes open for a YJ for me!! :D

Back