LOL Amazon

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
So my son needed a new baseball glove. He plays travel ball and completely wore out his old one. Tournament this weekend so tried to get it ahead of time so he had time to break it in. Friday we ordered the glove from Amazon. Sold and shipped through Amazon. Sunday we get the glove. We ordered a nice black/tan glove for his left hand. We got a cheap black youth glove for a right hand. Poor Chase was sitting on the porch waiting for his glove. Tears open the box and gets that. I called and complained and they swore that they couldn't get me a replacement any earlier than Tuesday. I said fine and they ordered me a new one. Tuesday comes and Chase once again is waiting on it. Tears it out of the box and.......it's a black 6-finger ambidextrous glove. :lol:

So once again a call, once again "can't deliver it for two days". So today comes, Amazon says it is delivered. No package. I call them and they ask "have you checked the mail room?" WTF, it is a house. They apologize and tell me they'll send another one same day delivery. Not sure why they couldn't do that to begin with.

How much do you want to bet I get two gloves today? And I bet at least one of them is going to be the wrong one. :lol:

We also bought a supposedly new book the other day that came in and had a Merry Christmas note from Pat and Randy to some kid named Ben. :lol:

We also bought a supposedly new book the other day that came in and had a Merry Christmas note from Pat and Randy to some kid named Ben. :lol:

Had to be a weird situation.
Last year I did a project with Amazon where they built 6 regional rapid fulfillment book centers.
Most dont know this but Amazon is now the largest publishing company in the world, by a multiple factor.

The whole reason for these projects was that Amazon no longer inventories and warehouses books. From the time you click buy now they can have a book printed, bound and packed to ship in about 40 minutes worst case. If you return it? They shred it and recycle the paper....

It was a crazy way to watch a company work. Fascinating really. And the money they wasted in the name of "reliability" was insane.

An example. One of their maintenance guys contacted us and told us a contactor in a transfer switch needed to be replaced because it was worn out. This is a contactor that is required by law to be tested to 500k operations. This switch had 175 operations on it total. But ok, the contactor cost less than $1000 parts and labor to swap, no biggie. But they wanted a temporary rental gen brought in and hot tapped to the bus to provide back up only during the swap out. That cost over $10k and a week of work to set up and another week to tear down because the trailer couldnt get within 2000' (yes thats right 2000) of the gear. Ok. It is you money. But the kicker was the repair took 30 minutes tops. And we knew that going in. The sevrer was backed up with a UPS with an 8 hour battery string and in the event of catastrophe we could wrap around their permanent generator to the load connection in 15 minutes tops. Nope bring the trailer in...

All old they spent just north of $40,000 to replace a worn out contactor with less than 200 cycles on it because someone thought it was a good idea.

Here are 5 great examples of why I hate Amazon and avoid them whenever possible (which is 99% of the time).

Y’all don’t have a sporting goods store? Most places price match amazon if you show them.

Yeah, he had a very specific glove he was looking for. Matched his first basemans mitt. We looked at every store in town and no one had it. Much rather would have bought it local last Friday.

Here are 5 great examples of why I hate Amazon and avoid them whenever possible (which is 99% of the time).

Man I must be living right or wrong....I dont know which.
I've bought, I dont know, 100 things from Amazon this year already. I mean they deliver here daily. Ive yet to have a single mess up. I will even pay a tad more just for their ease of business.

^^^Same...50% of our groceries are amazon driven, plus anything the wife gets for her vinyl hobby...plus whatever new thing she saw that she's blogging about...plus any kids clothes. I'm not sure I'd notice if anything were 'wrong'...but I don't hear the wife complaining about it.

I've bought, I dont know, 100 things from Amazon this year already. I mean they deliver here daily. Ive yet to have a single mess up. I will even pay a tad more just for their ease of business.

I agree, I buy a shitload of stuff off of Amazon. I've had a couple issues but they are always super attentive to fix the problem.

UPDATE: they just delivered the replacement glove. Fourth time is a charm.

I have noticed their prices start to go up slightly in comparison to other vendors on some things but its a very rare occurrence once you figure in tax and shipping. The trick is getting a business account if you can and get an even bigger price break on some items.

So not going to believe this. Or maybe you will. For some reason we got a FIFTH glove last night. The fourth one was correct. The fifth was a black fast pitch softball glove. :lol:
Sounds like someone is ready to have a yard sale.

Or field his own team (of weird misfits)

I get wrong stuff through them all the time and from my experience if it cost less than a hundred bucks they pretty much tell you to keep it and send you another one.
I ordered a boat propeller for my Johnson 25 which has a 14 spline shaft that it engages on. The one they sent me was a 10 spline. Just so happens to work for a buddy of mine's Yamaha, so guess who got a free prop out the deal. Mine is still on the way.

I get wrong stuff through them all the time and from my experience if it cost less than a hundred bucks they pretty much tell you to keep it and send you another one.
I ordered a boat propeller for my Johnson 25 which has a 14 spline shaft that it engages on. The one they sent me was a 10 spline. Just so happens to work for a buddy of mine's Yamaha, so guess who got a free prop out the deal. Mine is still on the way.

That's pretty much how my Amazon experiences work, if I'm getting anything but batteries and razor refills from them. For most everything specialized I buy, I can usually find it at a better price from a smaller specialty retailer and would rather support them anyway.

I'm actually pretty shocked that there are people here that have had nothing but wonderful, carefree experiences with Amazon. We must be ordering different stuff.

Well, now you can sell all of those other gloves and make some money!

I try to avoid them like the plague......we will all miss the brick and mortar stores when they are gone.

As a fellow lefty, I can sympathize with not finding stuff locally, as a kid (long before the interweb) we couldn't find a lefty glove in my small home town....which is why I throw righty.

I try to avoid them like the plague......we will all miss the brick and mortar stores when they are gone.

As a fellow lefty, I can sympathize with not finding stuff locally, as a kid (long before the interweb) we couldn't find a lefty glove in my small home town....which is why I throw righty.
The way I see it, and I'm probably very wrong (will find out here shortly I'm sure), is Amazon employees hundreds of thousands of people here in America and since they've merged with Whole foods as store houses, there's even more people that are employed by Amazon so technically it is local brick and mortar.

So the real question is......he could really use a new catcher's mitt too. Do I order a new one through Amazon and then return it with one of the other gloves and say they sent the wrong one? Or is that dishonest? They obviously have no control on their glove inventory. :lol:

That's pretty much how my Amazon experiences work, if I'm getting anything but batteries and razor refills from them. For most everything specialized I buy, I can usually find it at a better price from a smaller specialty retailer and would rather support them anyway.

I'm actually pretty shocked that there are people here that have had nothing but wonderful, carefree experiences with Amazon. We must be ordering different stuff.
I probably have easily over 100 orders from amazon over the years and I can honestly say that I have never had an issue. Wish I could say the same for other places.

The way I see it, and I'm probably very wrong (will find out here shortly I'm sure), is Amazon employees hundreds of thousands of people here in America and since they've merged with Whole foods as store houses, there's even more people that are employed by Amazon so technically it is local brick and mortar.

I like supporting small businesses, and think there is a place for brick and mortar; hardware stores are one of those. But as Amazon continues to make things more convenient, I am not sure how much most will miss physical stores. I used to think I would never buy clothing online, as I like to make sure it fits well first, but Amazon Wardrobe has somewhat changed that thought for me.

I mostly prefer them because I despise having to deal with the mass of idiots that are the general population these days, and all the time wasting systems that have been implemented because of them. I can research and buy what I want at a time that is convenient for me, normally in less time than having to goto a store, and its waiting at my door in a few days.

Back