Looking at buying a used bobcat - any help?

6BangBronk

Neighbor has a Bobcat he's taunting me with. I looked at it this morning but didn't know much. It's a 4 cylinder with a Ford gas conversion. Can't remember the model but it was in the 600's range. Looked at least 15-20 years old? Was the traditional colors with full cage. Had 1,450 hours showing. And had the extra hydraulic hookups on the front. Has 2 spare wheels for the wide tires. Has 4 skinnies on it now.
He's needing the money and only asking $3,000. He's been selling me alot of cool stuff for cheap lately and now he's offered this. Said he's had it for a long time at his farm and just never uses it. I'm going to give it a whirl this evening but I know nothing about bobcats except I want it.:huggy: Any help kicking the tires would be appreciated.

:beer:

Give me his phone number and address and I'll get it tonight so you won't have to worry about it. :)

Serious been looking for a deal like that for about 2 years. If you decide not to get it tell him you know someone who will.

It ain't pretty. Paint is flaky and rusty here and there. Cage looked kinda warped, beat up a tad. Bucket looked good though. Didn't have any teeth on it.
Wazzup with this gas conversion?

If you are talking the Bobcat brand (not just the slang term for anybrand of Skidsteer Loader) its either a 643, 642, 641, or 631. They all came out in 1981. Out of those 4 the 643, 641, and 631 were all offered in Diesel. So if it was swapped to gasoline one would assume it started out as a diesel. Of those 3 the most popular was the 643, which I what would guess you are looking at. So keep in mind it was produced from 1981 up until the early 1990s. So you are more looking at a 20+ year old skid loader. The 643 was the step down from the most popular 700 series from that time frame (742 - gas, 743 - diesel, 743B - diesel). The 700 series were the most common because they were medium duty skid loaders. The 643 was a light to more medium option, with the 543, and 443 being the more light duty options.

Depending on what you want to do with it the 643 is a good loader. For $3k that is a good price.

If it runs good and the hydraulics work well, it is well worth the price. Those are the machines that Bobcat built their current reputation on, and if the hour meter is correct, it's got a lot of life left. If it were me, I would run it good and hard (2/3's throttle or more) for at least 30 minutes. That way everything has time to heat up, leak, slip, overheat, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that everything for skidsteers is expensive. Tires are as much as offroad tires, hydraulic drive motors are $$$$, attachments are $400-4000, so be aware of what you are getting yourself into. With that said, I've got a New Holland L555 with 3300hrs, and its a great little machine. If the one your looking at doesn't have a 4n1 bucket, you should consider that as one of the first purchases down the line. It allows you to grab rocks, tree trunks, and brush. Also you can scoop more dirt and smooth it better once you are used to it.

Here's a website with info on various machines:
http://www.diggerdata.com/data/skidsteer.html
and it looks like a Bobcat 632 came with a Ford Gas motor:
http://www.diggerdata.com/data/skidsteer/bobcat/632.html

All of you who have just admitted to having skid steers and/or other heavy equipment have been drafted for the URE work days. Thank you for your service! :D

Here's a website with info on various machines:
http://www.diggerdata.com/data/skidsteer.html
and it looks like a Bobcat 632 came with a Ford Gas motor:
http://www.diggerdata.com/data/skidsteer/bobcat/632.html

Wow if you are talking the 632 you are going back to what... 1977? I was presuming we were at least talking around mid 80s. If you are going back that far you also have the 630 to consider also. The 632 was during the days when Clark name was a bigger part of the Melroe company, which was later acquired by Ingersoll-Rand. Here is a picture of a 632:

awww.everythingattachments.com_v_vspfiles_assets_images_632bob.jpg

Yeah I used to be a Bobcat nut. I still have a little bobcat diecast collection. Including a 610, 743B, 7753, and the truck/trailer to tow it on. If I dare to venture into my closest and find them I will post pictures at some point.

All of you who have just admitted to having skid steers and/or other heavy equipment have been drafted for the URE work days. Thank you for your service! :D
If they would ever occur on a weekend I wasn't already committed, I would be there. But I'm sure as heck not letting anyone else use my equipment. That's when things get torn up and suddenly all the know it all's have no idea what happened.

If they would ever occur on a weekend I wasn't already committed, I would be there. But I'm sure as heck not letting anyone else use my equipment. That's when things get torn up and suddenly all the know it all's have no idea what happened.

If I were operating it you'd know what happened...I wheeled it! :driver:

I'll let ya know when the next one comes about and maybe you'll have some spare time. I don't mind letting you get beat up on the equipment one bit. :D

I knew this site had a couple bobcat guru's. That was more information than I expected. Much appreciated!

It's a 643 but we can't figure out the age? Dude has now thrown in a tag-a-long trailer. I'm stoked and it's a pretty much done deal once we get it running.

We tried to start it yesterday but the startes wasn't working. He's going to put a starter on it today. It has the stock bucket. Only thing is it will need one tire right off the bat. Dude said he went to a tire dealer and he was told you can't order the skinny tires anymore? I'll have to research that. It comes with 2 wide rims but I guess I'll eventually have to round up 2 more if it turns out I can't buy the skinny tires?

I can definately put it to good use.

I've googled 7.00x16 skid steer tires (that's what the link said it came with) and searched ebay. I've searched all the different word and number combinations. They are indeed exstinct as far as I can tell. 10x16.5 skid steer tires are in the $250 range.

Holy cow that's some steep pricing on the tires. I wonder if you could find some used 7.00x16 anywhere close by? Perhaps someone on here has information on where to find some.

You can get the 10x16.5s for around $125 each...I just bought 4

Local tire store in Atlanta but I believe you can get them most places. I will try to find out the brand tomorrow and let you guys know.

The Bobcat place in Durham has the 10.5X16.5's for $107 plus tax.

Got it running good but the right side arm doesn't do anything yet. Only turns right. Got to pull the seat to get in there to see what's going on. We're close though. I'll have to do some more research to figure out what kind of transmission it has and how it operates. Hopefully it'll be straight forward after I get in there.

Also, the guy pointed out that the blade for the scoop was welded on upside down? It curls upward now. He said it should curve down to dig in. Makes sense if that's the case?

Thanks ya'll.
Jeremy

The Bobcat place in Durham has the 10.5X16.5's for $107 plus tax.
Got it running good but the right side arm doesn't do anything yet. Only turns right. Got to pull the seat to get in there to see what's going on. We're close though. I'll have to do some more research to figure out what kind of transmission it has and how it operates. Hopefully it'll be straight forward after I get in there.
Also, the guy pointed out that the blade for the scoop was welded on upside down? It curls upward now. He said it should curve down to dig in. Makes sense if that's the case?
Thanks ya'll.
Jeremy
if your talking about the cutting edge on the bucket it should be bolted on not welded and both sides should be the same.when one side wears out you flip it over.

if your talking about the cutting edge on the bucket it should be bolted on not welded and both sides should be the same.when one side wears out you flip it over.

All right... it aint??? It's all welded together. It's supposively the stock bucket but I can tell that it just don't "dig in". The digging blade bows upwards. I really have to tilt the bucket forward to collect anything. So far I've only been able to terminate all of my grape vines. REMEMBER TO PUT PUCKET DOWN when you catch a rut with virgin vigerance and the thing starts to yank like a flank strappped brahama bull to take control from flip tendancies...:shaking:

Scarier than the tilt-a-whirl! Trust me!:wheel:

I had to drive it with one 31.5 tire and it broke the bead of the old front 16" tire as soon as got on it. I limped it to the shop but I see tracks as a future investment instead of those huge trampoline tires...:bounce2:

Back