Looking for any "hidden" places to camp with actual nature (around cary/raleigh)

vikinghug

Pillager
I know of only one place, but it's a bit of a drive (couple hours). I'd love a place near raleigh/cary that isn't quite so far. Does anyone have any insight here?

Ideal camping experience:

Pack truck
Drive 30-40 minutes to location
Go off-road to find place good enough to set up a tent, and build a campfire
Camp​

be sure to post all the "hidden" places here so "everybody" can camp in the "Hidden" place that "Nobody" knows about..o_O

Look at the on and off ramps at big highways, the "V" that they create between the ramp and the main road are great "hidden" areas, I found this out from the local bums by my old workplace.

Go track down some hunt club property owners, get in good with them, pay them yearly dues just to have a place to go trail ride/camp during off season. If you piss them off they'll shoot ya. This isn't the wild west anymore but it can be.

There's a lot of "farms" around. Google map "farms" and there's a bunch that might grant access if you ask? But as said, I'd pick an off-hunting season time to ask for 90-95% of them that has any amount of acreage is going to have some sort of hunting club to protect their farmlands.
I live next to about a 300 acre section of Caviness Farms and Chris allows off-season events with notice along with deposits for things like fishing and trail riding on horseback but the trails could be covered in 2-3 hours... I've walked them before and not much to see besides rows of pine trees. I fish his ponds in the spring (annual Memorial Day fishing tourney with friends) but I'm not eligible to even ask to hunt on the land for I'm not immediate friends or family. Must "Farms" take hunting and trespassing during hunting season extremely seriously!

Remember these magic words: Trash cleanup. Appearance is everything. Carry yourself in a respectable manner and offer free trash cleanup and show up with a box of trash bags ready to work. Stress that you do not intend on rutting up their access trails and only seek a spot to camp with friends. I meet all sorts around south Carolina and more than often I always get invited back. There's usually no more than an hour or two of physical labor involved and it makes a great impression.

Back