Looking for easy 4x4 and camping in NC

DANMAN421

I am new to this forum but have been on JU and NAGCA for years. I had a lifted ZJ, bought an Acura that I loved to much and never drove the ZJ so I sold it. Well now im back in a Grand, I missed everything about a Jeep.

So, to my question. I am curious if there is a place in western NC somewhere that I can pack th dog and g/f in the Jeep, drive on some trails that a stock WJ Overland can handle then camp for a weekend safely? I am looking to do this legally and would like to be off the beaten path, not right on a 4x4 trail where there will be traffic, something serene/tranquil. Would be nice to be able to fish and catch dinner but thats not a requirement.

I see a lot about Brown Mountain but feel like that wont have the isolated aspect I am looking for. Ideas?

Brown Mtn. should work for you. You can wheel at the OHV area then camp at some of the more secluded spots in the Hunt Fish Falls area. There are several drive up campgrounds that are not secluded, but the remote ones you would have to hike to get to.

Brown Mtn. should work for you. You can wheel at the OHV area then camp at some of the more secluded spots in the Hunt Fish Falls area. There are several drive up campgrounds that are not secluded, but the remote ones you would have to hike to get to.

Thanks. I guess what I am looking for is the ability to go on the ORV roads and take a turn off the beaten path and set up camp with the Jeep there. This is probably not possible in a state park, is anyone aware where this is possible? Thanks.

There are places in URE that you can wheel to and camp right off the trails. There may be some night traffic but if you stay off the more popular trails you probably wouldn't see much if any. There are trails your stock WJ could wheel. I would still suggest wheeling with someone just in case, especially if you've never been there before.

There are places in URE that you can wheel to and camp right off the trails. There may be some night traffic but if you stay off the more popular trails you probably wouldn't see much if any. There are trails your stock WJ could wheel. I would still suggest wheeling with someone just in case, especially if you've never been there before.
X2^^^^^^

Howard Johnson is right!

Stayed at a very nice spot on top of Daniel and only saw a few rigs after dark pass through.Spot was well off the trail.Keep an eye open for any groups making a run up and fall in.UNF is nice for what you are wanting to do.

Im up for a night run on daniel haha

yeah, if you can get past how ugly they all are, 4x4everyone is a great crowd. i'd wheel with 'em.

yeah, if you can get past how ugly they all are, 4x4everyone is a great crowd. i'd wheel with 'em.
You must have been looking in the mirror while typing again. Ya got to stop doing that...

Yep, come on out with us. I'll be there for the entire Thanksgiving weekend.

me and some buddies are looking for the same type thing. we ended up finding something near linville. it seemed to be more of a drive then hike a mile or so but im pretty sure you could just camp where you park ill ask him about the website for it tommorow its some where off of the park way on wilsons creek. the website made it seem legit

Thanks for all the help guys. I have several suggestions to check into now, nothing is exactly what I want but rarely do I find something as my mind envisions... Thanks again.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/brown_mountain_orv.pdf
just found this too if you google wilsons creek wilderness area it shows you right where it is. the trails for jeeps and such seem to run right along the creek so it would be perfect for what you want. also searched forum and someone said the trails were really easy so it seems like a great place just to go maybe spin the tires a little bit camp and fish. we have a house up in linville not even 15 minutes from it. i am deffinatly gonna go by and check it out next time i get up there.

Back