looking to get back into RC

hscrugby

But I always had "faster" cars/trucks.
RC10t/t2
various buggies, etc.

I'd like a crawler, but I don't think I'd use it for the "crawling" as often as would be just zipping around the yard/driveway/road.
So I'm leaning towards something that can have some speed.
Maybe not the stupid speed needed of a race truck, but to go 30mph+ is fun.
Are there any trucks that are "kind of crawlers" but could also be for bashing speeding around jumping etc?
obviously not into competition, and the 5 yr old daughter is going end up driving it some I'm sure, so "super awesome scale" isn't needed as much as durability. :lol:

Any suggestions? Other option would be reoutfit my old rc10t2, and onroad car and rock those. But newness is nice too? :wheel:

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

These are pretty cool. Several people on here have one. It will need a few mods for stability at speed. It's not the best at crawling or high speed, but it is a good mix between the two. There's a thread on here for Wraith pics and upgrades.

What you are describing sounds like a Traxxas Summit would fit. I'm not sure about the 30 MPH but it would be close. It is an all around great bashing truck. Waterproof, durable, large tires, flexy suspension, etc. Shift it into low gear and lock the lockers and it crawls pretty darn well too.

Wraiths are fun but I think for general bashing it will leave you wanting more. Stock motor on a 3s lipo is to much for them and I don't know how well it would hold up to jumping and whatnot without some options installed.

Ugh. Never hit submit.

Summit looks cool, but the 1/10 is a bit out of price range. Was hoping to get all of it for <300 ish

And I think if I got the 1/16, I'd be bitter and wanting the 1/10.
Not sure about that though.
The Wraith looks like a decent option, and watching some videos it seems to move along at a good pace. Anyway in Raleigh area got one I could see run? Seems most recomend a 2s lipo for stock wraith and it's ESC? Would the 3s smoke it with the extra volts?

Here's a few to look at. Their are plenty of videos on youtube.You can find both of these rigs on www.ckrccrawlers.com

jbird, Those are awsome, I want the Axial Terra buggy. Not sure he can get one of those RTR for $300 ish tho.

ABadJeeper, true it needs a few upgrades, but you can get a RTR for around $325. Add a few mods here and there and you have a pretty cool rig for around $400.

I run mine on my old 6cell NMH and it does pretty good. Fixing to upgrade to the 2s lipo. The 2s works good and still keeps the factory electronics dependable.

I run my wraith with a 2s and stock motor and ESC and if you try and drive it at any speed it pretty much just flips over. I've lowered it and tried a bunch of different spring combos and I've got it about the best I'm gonna get it for now. I can crawl pretty good with it so I'm happy.

It just sounded like to me the OP was looking for more of a good basher that could do a little crawling.

To the OP if you look hard enough you can find the Summit's for around $300. If you are ever in my neck of the woods you can check out my fleet. I have a little of everything.:beer::beer::beer:

Ugh. So now, looking more like I'm going to be confused as much as possible here. :)

Damn decisions. To lipo or not.
LiPo= newer tech, better all around
NiMH=cheaper older tech, could even use my old chargers probably.

I have several older radio/receiver combos that do work (just checked them, they make servos move, so I'll assume that's "working")
So should I buy a kit, add a lipo and charger and use my own radio?
Will it hurt me not having the new 2.4ghz hotness?
Darn it. This wasn't supposed to be as complicated as buying something for my real jeep. :(
Are there any downsides to going with the 2s or 3s lipo? (3s depending on ESC?)

I have several older radio/receiver combos that do work (just checked them, they make servos move, so I'll assume that's "working")
So should I buy a kit, add a lipo and charger and use my own radio?
Will it hurt me not having the new 2.4ghz hotness?
Darn it. This wasn't supposed to be as complicated as buying something for my real jeep. :(
Are there any downsides to going with the 2s or 3s lipo? (3s depending on ESC?)
There really are very few kits these days. Most cars/trucks come RTR.

You really do want to get a lipo and a 2.4ghz radio.

If you have all of your old stuff, you might consider picking up a used roller from someone and just upgrading those older components later.

you can always get a transmitter and receiver later. Just built a old traxxas rustler. things like a damn atv. It will go anywhere ya point it. Im a little more into jumping and speed, the crawler is a little to boring for me. Traxxas seems to be the most well stocked at the hobby shop so i don't ever have to order anything. even for my 2000 model 12 year old rustler.

My opinion just get ya one. It don't matter to much about the receiver and battery combo as much as the rig and the way you build it.

Yea it is a tough decision. I'm just thinking from what you are saying the Wraith may not be the vehicle for you. Mine seems that at any speed above crawling it flips way to easy and like mentioned before I have done a bunch of stuff to try and combat that.

I have not tried the 4x4 Traxxas Stampede yet but if it is half as fun as my 2wd Pede I bet you would enjoy it. That is pretty much my go to R/C to break out while me and the guys are working on Jeeps or whatever and we need a break.

I'm going to still stick with my original suggestion of the Summit though. It will give you the best of both worlds. I only run 7 cell NiMh batteries in my Summit. One day I may try and run it on LiPo's at this point I don't have a need to.

Yea it is a tough decision. I'm just thinking from what you are saying the Wraith may not be the vehicle for you. Mine seems that at any speed above crawling it flips way to easy and like mentioned before I have done a bunch of stuff to try and combat that.
I have not tried the 4x4 Traxxas Stampede yet but if it is half as fun as my 2wd Pede I bet you would enjoy it. That is pretty much my go to R/C to break out while me and the guys are working on Jeeps or whatever and we need a break.
I'm going to still stick with my original suggestion of the Summit though. It will give you the best of both worlds. I only run 7 cell NiMh batteries in my Summit. One day I may try and run it on LiPo's at this point I don't have a need to.

the 1/16 or 1/10th summits for 300ish?

Another question would be-are you a tinkerer or just run it and fix it as stock/standard. A scalar with a brushless capable setup may work. Motor swaps for needs.

I've got a Traxxas TMaxx 3.3 maybe 7 months old lots of extra parts and special tools ya need Plus a gal of gas....It's 4wd and 35+ mph...I'm selling msg me for details

Another question would be-are you a tinkerer or just run it and fix it as stock/standard. A scalar with a brushless capable setup may work. Motor swaps for needs.
I don't mind fixing and tinkering, but the fun is driving
I'm going to watch Craigslist and forums for a good deal
I just got a rc10t4 cheap
And a spare esc and motor to get my old 4wd road car running.
So speed side is satisfied now
:lol:

Cool-I'd go with something non custom. I've met guys who love to tinker and build vs. really drive.

I'm in the middle. Abad will tell you I enjoy fixing them as much as I enjoy crashing em. :)

Back