Losing A Parent

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
Mods: if you want to move it to the Garage, that's alright. I just figured I'd post here where everyone can see, if they'd like.

It's a helluva thing, death.

My first thoughts were of @77GreenMachine and his recent events with losing his mother. Then I logged in several hours ago and saw a post in the Garage where another member said yesterday was the anniversary of the loss of his mother. I don't know if some things are just coincidence and you're more highly tuned in to trying to find correlations during stressful or emotional times, but that, along with a few events yesterday...just all kinda seemed to be signs from the universe or something.

I digress.

It all began yesterday (Tuesday, February 20th) at roughly 8:30 am. I had set a couple of alarms to wake up and get to an appointment to get myself a CPAP. I had just cut off my second alarm and laid my head back on the pillow for a rousing game of "I'll just rest my eyes for a minute". Then my phone rang. It's not uncommon to have some...miscommunications...and a few rounds of phone tag with some of my family, but I quickly realized this time wasn't a false alarm.

My cousin called me.
I called my sister.
I called my uncle.
Then, I called my mom's phone.

She had been seeing a guy a while back and let him move in. While none of us necessarily care for the guy, in this instance, I'm kinda glad he was there and we didn't have days before anyone knew.

Anyway, he answers. He's slightly hysterical, but he said the EMTs were there and I managed to get him to give one of them the phone. I identified myself as her son and straight up asked if she was gone. I needed facts, ya know? Obviously, we all know the answer.

The rest of the day was slow motion and, simultaneously, a whirlwind.

I've been through this process before. Some of you may remember that my dad died back in January of 2017. That one wasn't much of a shock and was, truthfully, a bit of a relief....even though it sounds horrible to say out loud. My mom was there for us through it though. Perhaps it was the other way around. It's strange to think that this will be my new normal.

She wasn't bad off sick or anything like that. Certainly nothing pressing or life threatening that we knew of. I do find solace that this happened in her sleep, she was home in her own bed, didn't suffer, and didn't simply exist for years with something debilitating. I always say that as much as it sucks, it could always be much worse. All of my memories are of her in good health and I can't really ask for much better than that. I won't lie and say that it doesn't suck being 33 and having lost both parents.

I'm fairly well at peace with all of this. I know all the stages of grief and I know that my way of processing is anything but linear, by the book, nor remotely close to what the steps say we go through. Naturally, I had a couple of fleeting thoughts of "Did I call her enough?" and "Did I tell her I love her when we last spoke?", but I did on both accounts. I don't feel anger, no guilt, but certainly there's the overwhelming sense of being lost.

I'm not sure if I was making a point or just sorta venting here. If you take anything from it, I guess I'd have to say...if you have a parent/both parents left, call them. Go visit. Tell them you love them. Try and have them write up a will and/or their final wishes. Do the same for yourself and your kids/spouse/whomever. Certainly have some life insurance.

Luckily, we pretty well knew what my mom wanted and had talked about it some throughout the years. Sure, it's not stuff that anyone really wants to talk about, but it damn sure makes things easier for your family when the time comes.

If any of you guys have my number and want to call or text, feel free. It's not a bother and I appreciate the distraction. I know some of us are friends on Facebook and I'm sure some of yall that are FB friends may not necessarily associate my username here with my actual name, but I saw that a few of you took the time to offer condolences and such on the post my sister made and tagged me in and I damn sure appreciate it. A few of you, I've never even met, but it shows what a solid group we've got around here. It's a wonderful thing.

My mother, bless her heart, was a patient woman. Saintly, even, and to a fault. You got her patience whether you deserved it or not. She taught special education for 27½ years, medically retired from teaching after a diagnosis of MS, and finished out her last couple of years with the state as a case worker with the CDSA. She also raised myself/my sister and was married to my dad for 36 years. That alone rates her as deserving of a statue or monument.

Anyway, I said that to say this, which may hopefully help anyone else that might be going through some stuff right now too. She was very much a fan of The Serenity Prayer and Desiderata. Both are a great read, meaningful, and comforting. I think that seeing them around our house when I was younger has certainly helped me as I've gotten older.

We've got another day of working on arrangements and such. I think everything will go along smoothly. All of yall have yourselves as good a day as possible and remember to call your parents, family, friends, and loved ones!

Prayers lifted up. Those early morning calls suck. Never good news.

I couldn't decide whether to like, love, or sad your post.

Sorry to hear that man. Will be praying for yall. We are coming up on a year since we lost my step dad. Just last night I was hooking up the box blade to the tractor to go help my great aunt and it hit me. This is something my uncle and my step dad were doing 10 years ago. Now both are gone and it's just me and my brother left to take care of their widows. Last year was a year of loss for us, but we weathered the storm and are still afloat.

All that to say, that feeling is still all to fresh for me. If you need anything, reach out.

Sorry to hear about your mom.My grandmother fell and hit her head and was gone fours hours later.My grandfather sat around for 20 years waiting to die.Yeah its a shock and sucks but sudden is the way to go,take some comfort that it wasnt a long drawn out thing she suffered thru.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Your family has my prayers and condolences.

Jake, I'm so sorry for your unexpected loss. I can only imagine how tuff it must be to not have gotten to be there with her or had the opportunity to say I love you one more time. I'm glad you have peace knowing you did get to say it to her the last time you talked and that you both were on good terms.
This is something I find myself more and more thinking about as I get older is having to deal with the passing of my parents. We have a great relationship and mom and me text and talk daily, dad is moreso if something special is going on or comes up and he has a question etc. I moved out back in 2012 when I got married and don't always get to see them every week. They have ALWAYS been there for me and as grown up as I felt, I couldn't imagine going through my divorce without the two of them. The thought of not having either one of them to call or see when I need to is something that literally brings a tear to my eyes. I want you to know that your post didn't just help you vent and try to cope but because of you and @BigClay post, I took my lunch break to just ride to their house and talk for a few minutes. Not about anything in particular, just to see them. I think we all get so tied up in our lives we don't always make the time we need to for family and friends. We are all so fortunate to have an extra set of friends and a caring ear on this forum.

Jake, I'm so sorry for your unexpected loss. I can only imagine how tuff it must be to not have gotten to be there with her or had the opportunity to say I love you one more time. I'm glad you have peace knowing you did get to say it to her the last time you talked and that you both were on good terms.
This is something I find myself more and more thinking about as I get older is having to deal with the passing of my parents. We have a great relationship and mom and me text and talk daily, dad is moreso if something special is going on or comes up and he has a question etc. I moved out back in 2012 when I got married and don't always get to see them every week. They have ALWAYS been there for me and as grown up as I felt, I couldn't imagine going through my divorce without the two of them. The thought of not having either one of them to call or see when I need to is something that literally brings a tear to my eyes. I want you to know that your post didn't just help you vent and try to cope but because of you and @BigClay post, I took my lunch break to just ride to their house and talk for a few minutes. Not about anything in particular, just to see them. I think we all get so tied up in our lives we don't always make the time we need to for family and friends. We are all so fortunate to have an extra set of friends and a caring ear on this forum.

I am so glad to hear this, thanks for sharing.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t even begin to imagine what you’re going through right now.

This is something I think about and try not to think about a good bit. My parents are getting up there in age and I‘m not looking forward to the inevitable. They’re both pretty healthy and active so hopefully it‘ll be a while before anything happens. I need to be better about getting down to their house in SC and bringing their granddaughters with me.

Thanks guys and gals. It's been a strange time. I'm doing as well as can be expected and my doctor helped me out too. I finally got some decent sleep last night.

Doing a visitation Saturday evening and the funeral is Sunday. Hopefully we can get through that smoothly and then get the state retirement folks moving on the life insurance paperwork, get bills sorted out, her house cleaned up, and things such as that.

My sister has been handling most things, so I sorta feel like Ricky Bobby and don't really know what to do with my hands. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting to do something or need to be doing something. I'm sure that's fairly normal.

I've had a few good instances provided by "the universe" though. It all hit me pretty hard as soon as we all left my mom's Tuesday evening to go back home. That mostly silent kind of crying where the tears are flowing heavy and literally falling off your face. Then, about halfway home, I catch the light at a main intersection and as I'm just blanky staring ahead, I happen to notice the license plate on the car ahead of me and just started laughing. There really wasn't anything else I could do. The only thing I can see here is "Alert C^nts" and I needed that laugh.

20240220_183155.jpg

Then, earlier today, I had stopped by the Harris Teeter near my house to pick up the chill pills my doctor called in and to grab a coffee to drop off to my friend for coming over and being there when I needed her. As soon as I got out of my truck, I saw a woman walking behind the cars parked the next row over and I froze. My mom didn't have a sister, but I swear, this woman could have been her clone. It scared me, made me feel better, and also made me tear up all at the same time.

Anyway, thanks again yall. I'm hanging in there and I've only caught myself attempting to call her on the phone twice.

So sorry for your loss. Hope your family remembers your Mom's patience and use that in the near future.

It's never easy. I've lost grandparents, but we weren't terribly close. Then we lost a son 26 years ago and that set the tone for, expect the unexpected. And yes, even when you think you are prepared for anything, life hits you with an orange instead of an apple.

Anyway, I just want to reiterate about the Will. Everyone should have one. Get a bare-bones instrument off the web and simply have it notorized. If there's anything "valuable" (memorabilia, keepsakes, property)... let it be known what/where they go. Families get broken up over that stuff. Let everyone "blame" you (the one that passed) rather than each other. Most every person on here has a vehicle with their passion and sweat in them. Folks will fight over it.

Last, if there is some keepsake that does start in-fighting... consider letting it go. My brother and I had 2-3 things that we wanted from my parents. We knew the fight would come one day. Then, before walking into that apple orchard, my brother passed away unexpectedly. Damn orange.

I'm afraid we're about to go thru this.Tonya's dad is in the hospital and not doing good and they don't really have any options. Strangely enuf my grandmother died four years ago yesterday and he is in the same hospital and just a few rooms away from where she died.

I've been all over the place and I have a really good story that, for some reason, happened on my way to the funeral and it was helpful and comforting to me. When I feel like I can sit down and type it all out, I definitely will.

It's been draining on my social battery and otherwise mentally tiring, but everything went well and things will slowly get around to what is my new "normal".

I'm really hoping to make some changes in my life as these types of events will always change your perspective on things. My dogs have also noticed something is up and have been extra cuddly, so that always helps.

I'll probably go back to work tomorrow and try to get back in a routine. I may go back to days eventually, I'm still playing that by ear and it's mostly dependent on what my sister and I will need to do as far as getting things taken care of with estate paperwork.

I just want to say again, thanks for all the well wishes, thoughts, prayers, texts, etc. I'm really hoping to get out and about more, make some trips that I want to make, see things that I want to see, catch some shows, meet some of yall, and maybe even get in some wheeling!

Man I can fully relate to what you are going through. My mom battled cancer for the last 21 months and was doing ok. All of a sudden, earlier this month things took a nosedive and she passed on Feb 12th.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I don’t, it sucks. I’m 38 years old, she was 62. A woman of good faith, never smoked, never drank, ate very healthy, wouldn’t use the microwave or heat things in plastic because it could cause cancer… and here we are.

Anyway buddy, if I can do anything for you or you need somebody to talk to, send me a pm and I’ll give you my number.

Back