Lost keys to truck bed tool box

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Well I lost on eof my key rings and among others the key to my Kobalt truck bed tool box was on the ring. Will any lock smith be able to make me a key? How can I "break-in" to the box with minimal damage to the locks. Any suggestions or help?

Being that it is a Kobalt, it probably has cheap locks/latches that are riveted in. Drill out the rivets and replace it for cheaper than hiring a locksmith to open it.

Good ideas. I have never drilled a lock before, simply just use a metal bit and have at it?

Pretty much so. ^^^ I'd probably start with about a 3/8" and go bigger if needed. A uni-bit might be ideal. It don't take much for tool box locks.

BEFORE DRILLING....look at the cylinder is there a code there?
Maybe CH753 or similar.
If so any lock smith can hand you a key off that code.

BEFORE DRILLING....look at the cylinder is there a code there?
Maybe CH753 or similar.
If so any lock smith can hand you a key off that code.

Good idea, i hadn't thought about a key code on it. I will check tonight.

I would drive the truck to a locksmith and see what they would charge to cut a key. You never know...

I put graphite in my drivers side door to make it unlock more easily. It fawked it all up to where the lock wouldn't work. NEVER USE GRAPHITE (it is solid and will block the tumblers from moving). I had the locksmith pull the lock, lube it, make a dozen new keys and it was only 25 bucks or so, but I took it to them. They charge alot to come to you and less it you come to them, like $80 mobilization.

Took the truck by a locksmith today and he said he couldn't make a key... He said there was one in town that could, he gave me the name and it is no longer in business.

Anyone know a good locksmith in Greensboro or Winston? Now I just want it unlocked, I can worry about a key later, so anyone know some one that can pick it?

Conclusion of this thread, found out that no one local carries these keys but you can order them from dawsbetterbuilt.com (the actual manufacturer of the truck box). New keys should be here this week!

Tool box keys are VERY common, Just borrow a few and one will probably work.

Kinda like Jeep keys.

If you have any Jeep, your key will probably unlock the glove compartment and center counsel any other Jeep of the same ish year :lol:

Big Clay, do you have plenty of air? Breath slow and stay calm!

Back