lowering rear of 1996 z71

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by capnran, Jun 22, 2012.

1. capnran

capnran New Member

I am interested in leveling my 1996 Z71 by removing the spacers from the rear leaf springs. I have heard folks say this can be done without creating other issues. I understand the u-bolts will either have to be replaced by shorter ones or stacks of washers used in order to have enough threads. does anyone have experience and or comments.

2. 13bullets

13bullets Chris

I lowered my 05 Silverado, but it's 2wd and had no blocks. Just take them out, and if your u-bolts are too long replace them, I wouldn't stack washers. Nothing to it.

3. capnran

capnran New Member

Thanks. All input is appreciated!

4. Smokeater

Smokeater Member

You should never reuse the u-bolts. Get new ones.
    Quote from another site..."Suspension U-Bolts are manufactured with a smooth rolled thread, while the mating Hi-Nuts are manufactured with sharp cut threads.

When a U-Bolt is tightened to its recommended torque level, the U-Bolt threads stretch as they mate with the
    Hi-Nuts. Although not always visible to the naked eye,
    this damages the threads. Removing the Hi-Nuts from the U-Bolt will cause a cross - threading that will not allow the U-bolt to be adequately retorqued."

5. capnran

capnran New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Now that you mention it I do remember reading that on a vendor website. Don't want to take a chance on a component like that coming loose. BTW anyone have any thoughts on lowering shackles. Is that a better way to go than the spacer removal idea? Any input is greatly appreciated.

6. 13bullets

13bullets Chris

I have shackles on the rear of my leaf springs, I lowered my truck 2/4, which included replacing the hangers at the front of the leaf springs and adding shackles to the rear to achieve the 4" drop. Shackles are a pretty standard way of lowering a truck that doesn't have blocks to take out. I'm not a fan of blocks so removing them first gets my vote, so long as your leaf pack sits flush on the axle.

I've always read not to reuse u-bolts, but after three instances of loosening or removing them for various reasons I've never bought new ones and never had a problem. I'd bet that unless the application requires a different size u-bolt that most reuse them. That said, I'm not telling you to reuse them, only what I have done. If changing them makes you feel safer, then by all means change them.

7. capnran

capnran New Member

8. capnran

capnran New Member

Thanks 13bullets!