LQ9 vs LS1

Van-go

Not an old man
I need some advice.
I have an LQ9 that I was planning to build, but I picked up an LS1 today for a pretty good deal.

Which motor should I build and run in my buggy?
Both are in good shape and should not need to be completely rebuilt.

LQ9 has 135k miles on it. Already have 243 heads for it and TBSS intake

LS1 had 90k and came from a 99 Camaro. I assume it is stock.

Budget is around $2,000-$2,500 for build parts.

What do y’all think?

I need some advice.
I have an LQ9 that I was planning to build, but I picked up an LS1 today for a pretty good deal.

Which motor should I build and run in my buggy?
Both are in good shape and should not need to be completely rebuilt.

LQ9 has 135k miles on it. Already have 243 heads for it and TBSS intake

LS1 had 90k and came from a 99 Camaro. I assume it is stock.

Budget is around $2,000-$2,500 for build parts.

What do y’all think?
I’d say you’re good either way you go. Given the same budget, they’d make equal power. Post both for sale. Which ever sells the quickest, take the other one off the market.

0C1F1FBE-EE48-47DB-BEE9-87345AF294E6.jpeg

912630A7-D8FB-4E3C-8C69-58C011612CB3.jpeg

Problem solved…

I’d say you’re good either way you go. Given the same budget, they’d make equal power. Post both for sale. Which ever sells the quickest, take the other one off the market.
The 5.7 is just what you see in the pics. Not complete. Other motor is complete.
I assume all accessories from a truck would fit it?

Attachments

• 372FC463-A819-4317-9071-C6EF2C8EF423.jpeg
    372FC463-A819-4317-9071-C6EF2C8EF423.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 108
  • B12A1A4D-4303-47F9-A0EB-EA09B49EB254.jpeg
    B12A1A4D-4303-47F9-A0EB-EA09B49EB254.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 111
The 5.7 is just what you see in the pics. Not complete. Other motor is complete.
I assume all accessories from a truck would fit it?
In my experience, accessories are interchangeable. The only requirement is that you choose between Vette, F-body, or truck spacing. That decision is determined by your clearance between the accessories and the radiator.

I'd go with the LS1 for the aluminum block.

LS1s have 241 heads. Personally, I'd keep the LQ9, but that's me. I prefer an iron block.

There's something like an 80-100 lb weight difference though.

You do need to pick what spacing you want to run because that determines what crank pulley, accessories, and intake you need to run.

What are you putting it in would be my question, and what heads are on the LS1
Buggy with a th400, 43’s, and 1 tons.
Set up for trail riding and maybe some hill killing.

LS1s have 241 heads. Personally, I'd keep the LQ9, but that's me. I prefer an iron block.

There's something like an 80-100 lb weight difference though.

You do need to pick what spacing you want to run because that determines what crank pulley, accessories, and intake you need to run.
I’m leaning towards this as I do think the LS1 would bring more $.
I plan to run truck spacing. That’s what everything I already have is for.

I would run the Lq9 also and swap the heads to 243, cam, springs, tune and boil the 43’s whenever you want
I trust the LQ9 I got from you more than this LS1.
Just didn’t know if there was some big reason I should go to the 5.7 instead.

Just didn’t know if there was some big reason I should go to the 5.7 instead.
Because an LS-1 is the shit.
The one in my rig turns "42 stickies into mush. I run out of driving talent waaay before i run out of motor.
No shit.
I've never seen a motor go from idle to rev limiter faster.
Drifting a 5k pound rig on tons is fun as shit, while listening to Metallica of course.
Flame suit is for you haters.
Including the resident commie @guffey24
He's a "Brandon" supporter ya know...

The one in my rig turns "42 stickies into mush. I run out of driving talent waaay before i run out of motor.
No shit.
Drifting a 5k pound rig on tons is fun as shit, while listening to Metallica of course.
Lots of convincing arguments in this post.
Any reason I shouldn’t build both and just keep the other one on hand for when I blow the first one?

Lots of convincing arguments in this post.
Any reason I shouldn’t build both and just keep the other one on hand for when I blow the first one?
I'd go 6.0. The weight difference isn't that big of a deal in a big buggy. More stockist jeep I'd probably go LS1 for weight ( I have an aluminum 5.3 in mine).

Sell LS1. If you want a spare, go pick up another iron 6.0...

No shit.

I ain’t from Asheville ass clown!!! Wouldn’t bother me a bit for that place to burn or to move to the west coast where it belongs!!! 🖕🏿

Since the power is comparable, I'd prioritize the weight, unless you are planning to boost the hell out of it.

Last edited:
For the money an LS1 could bring to fund the build I’d be tempted to sell it if you bought it good, and knowing you, you did.

A cam, that intake and tuning will do a lot in a 6.0 and the iron block can take the abuse I know you’ll give it. But at the end of the day both are great options.

6.0 litre with the 243 heads would be my vote. Unless you care to loose a 100 lbs off the front.
Yeah the buggy is gonna be heavy anyways so screw it. Guess I’ll be selling the LS1….

Back