LT truck tires or 17.5 trailer tires?

If I had your money Matt I'd just buy a new trailer with 5 new tires.

If I had your money Matt I'd just buy a new trailer with 5 new tires.
And if I had your money, I'd have my butler do it for me :flipoff2:

Breaking news: the shattastic tires that blew out are LT truck tires. They also have a 2014 date code. I'm not sure which is more of a contributing factor, but obviously these are two things I now want to avoid.

Last edited:
So when you picking up the new trailer?

I'd offer to take the piece of shit off your hands, but it's a tilt deck. That's more drama than I need in my life.

I'd offer to take the piece of shit off your hands, but it's a tilt deck. That's more drama than I need in my life.
Heck he is only asking 50 more than new and he got all the kinks worked out!
He is a damned good guy

Still working on the new trailer part, but I think I have solved the tire problem.
:bling:
IMG_20200508_175023.jpg
IMG_20200508_175709.jpg

Now I just gotta get a trailer that's worth more than my tires :lol:

For anyone considering switching to 17.5's, I highly recommend it. I got my first opportunity to try them out yesterday, and it was amazing how much more smooth and stable the trailer was. The jerking and oscillation that used to be present when going over bumps is almost completely gone away. It was specifically a forward and backward motion that I used to be annoyed by, and now that is no longer an issue. I assume it just has to do with the stiffer sidewalls controlling the load better. Pulled like champ, but if I'm gonna be doing this more often, I need a dually and lower gears. 3.31s are great with an empty truck, but not so much when you're grossing 23-24k. Here's everything loaded down with about 12,000lbs on the trailer plus 3500lbs of trailer weight, 1500lbs tongue weight.
IMG_20200509_101304.jpg
IMG_20200509_101338.jpg

I need to replace trailer tires on our 8 lug trailer.

Are the sailun 235/85/16 the go to for this. That way I don’t have to swap to 17.5 ?

We have 8-10 8 lug 16” wheels just for the trailer(s) and spares.

It’s a 14k gross trailer but rarely sees over 5k on the deck. It’s typically hauling a 4K buggy around.

Looking for something to replace the 245/16 LT E rated tires.

For anyone considering switching to 17.5's, I highly recommend it. I got my first opportunity to try them out yesterday, and it was amazing how much more smooth and stable the trailer was. The jerking and oscillation that used to be present when going over bumps is almost completely gone away. It was specifically a forward and backward motion that I used to be annoyed by, and now that is no longer an issue. I assume it just has to do with the stiffer sidewalls controlling the load better. Pulled like champ, but if I'm gonna be doing this more often, I need a dually and lower gears. 3.31s are great with an empty truck, but not so much when you're grossing 23-24k. Here's everything loaded down with about 12,000lbs on the trailer plus 3500lbs of trailer weight, 1500lbs tongue weight.
View attachment 317624 View attachment 317625

Have you thought about a weight distribution hitch? That nose is a little high IMHO.

Ahh hell, you don't need a dually. Just back the skid steer up a little!

17.5s are amazing. Glad you've seen the light :D

I’m not one to talk a man out of buying the truck he wants. I will say that one of these 2 options is MUCH cheaper than the other.

Bumping this back up. For me and Scott's (@Mac5005) question above that didn't get addressed.

Time for some new tires on my 14k GN crawler hauler. Taking the time to replace all 4. Bought the trailer used and blew one otw back from WWW (and didn't even know it until I got home and pulled in the driveway :eek:).

I've been running LT LR E takeoffs on my 10k with good luck. I've always been of the same opinion as Matt in is 1st post. I have seen the flex of the side walls when turning, but I also know a large majority of blowouts occur driving in a straight line down the highway. One thing I've always wondered about the ST tires is the speed rating. It's not uncommon for me to be running over 65mph. What's everybody's experience / opinion with this?

A big benefit I see on the 16" Saliun's too is it looks like Wally World stocks them so in the event of SHTF there's typically always one close by.

@jeepinmatt - I'm assuming no complaints on the 17.5s to date. To the point you made about it handling the load better and not nearly as much oscillation, do you think the 14ply 16" G's would have done the same or no? Anybody else feel free to weigh in on this as well. Got a link to Edward Bay's store you can share where you got yours?

@shawn - still happy w/ the 16" S637s?

Also, will there be any need to change rims? I've got the white d-window 8-lugs but I've read a few places the 14ply 16s run at 110psi and will need an upgraded wheel.

EDIT: just looked at trailer wheels rated at 3750lbs.

Last edited:
Bumping this back up. For me and Scott's (@Mac5005) question above that didn't get addressed.

Time for some new tires on my 14k GN crawler hauler. Taking the time to replace all 4. Bought the trailer used and blew one otw back from WWW (and didn't even know it until I got home and pulled in the driveway :eek:).

I've been running LT LR E takeoffs on my 10k with good luck. I've always been of the same opinion as Matt in is 1st post. I have seen the flex of the side walls when turning, but I also know a large majority of blowouts occur driving in a straight line down the highway. One thing I've always wondered about the ST tires is the speed rating. It's not uncommon for me to be running over 65mph. What's everybody's experience / opinion with this?

A big benefit I see on the 16" Saliun's too is it looks like Wally World stocks them so in the event of SHTF there's typically always one close by.

@jeepinmatt - I'm assuming no complaints on the 17.5s to date. To the point you made about it handling the load better and not nearly as much oscillation, do you think the 14ply 16" G's would have done the same or no? Anybody else feel free to weigh in on this as well. Got a link to Edward Bay's store you can share where you got yours?

@shawn - still happy w/ the 16" S637s?

Also, will there be any need to change rims? I've got the white d-window 8-lugs but I've read a few places the 14ply 16s run at 110psi and will need an upgraded wheel.
Edward Bay=eBay ;)
Plus some tax and such. My friend Edward Bay has a website where he sells new and used items at auction or a discounted online price:
www.eBay.com

I just searched on ebay. Nothing special. I found my 17.5s from a private seller in North Georgia.

I think the 14 ply would have also made a big difference. The tires I had were just junk. Another contributing factor was being able to load the trailer as heavy as I want and not bias more to the tongue to reduce trailer tire load/increase tongue weight.

I run G rated Carlisle radial HD on our 34’ stock trailer it has gone to Louisiana and back, Colorado and back twice and all over the east coast since we put them 2 years ago. They run 90psi. and have seen 75-80mph for extended periods of time quite regularly.
Also had the same tire on my triple axle Cyclone Toy hauler and they never gave a single issue at speed. They were mounted for 3yrs prior to me selling it. Which, included driving it from La to Mi to CO and back to La. Then to NC when I moved here and then NC to NM)

Last edited:
17.5s are amazing.

I'd at least get the Sailuns if I had 16s. I don't think you'll have any issues out of them.

17.5s are amazing.

I'd at least get the Sailuns if I had 16s. I don't think you'll have any issues out of them.
Definitely going with the Sailuns if sticking w/ 16s. Just trying to see if it makes sense to bump up or not.

I put 16" Sailuns on my 15K GN with the slide in. Ive no no issues to date.

We have a CTB member thats a tire dealer in Hickory. I bought from him.
I've got a guy down the road I normally use but would certainly give him a shot. Mind sharing contact info?

Back