Machine Shop Recommendations in Charlotte Area

woodkrawler

I have the 4.0L torn down that's going in my MJ. I'm thinking about doing a complete rebuild and or stroker. Anyone on here have machine shop recommendations in Charlotte?

I have talked to Poteat's in Kannapolis, but haven't talked to anyone who has any experience with them?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can't think of the name of it but there's a machine shop on Hwy 27 between Stanley and Mt Holly. It`s been a few years since I've had them do anything for me.

Found it.
Lane Bob Automotive Machine Shop
1531 Charles Raper Jonas Hwy
Mount Holly, NC 28120 Map

* (704) 827-6482

Can't think of the name of it but there's a machine shop on Hwy 27 between Stanley and Mt Holly. It`s been a few years since I've had them do anything for me.
Found it.
* (704) 827-6482

x100
its the first one that poped in my mind when I saw machine shop. Use to live down that way, had alot done.

Bob Lane's has been fine for me, but alot of people say it is hit or miss on how long it will take them. I've also had good service and pricing from Nichols Engineering in Gastonia.

If you are going to rebuild it, you really should consider stroking it. The cost is minimal when coupled with a complete rebuild. I've got a poor mans stroker in mine, nothing more than a 4.2 crank and rods, no intake/headers/injectors or any of that stuff, and it is still beastly. Im sure my driving style is a contributing factor, but there are probably a few guys on this board who can vouch for it.

Bob Lane's has been fine for me, but alot of people say it is hit or miss on how long it will take them. I've also had good service and pricing from Nichols Engineering in Gastonia.

If you are going to rebuild it, you really should consider stroking it. The cost is minimal when coupled with a complete rebuild. I've got a poor mans stroker in mine, nothing more than a 4.2 crank and rods, no intake/headers/injectors or any of that stuff, and it is still beastly. Im sure my driving style is a contributing factor, but there are probably a few guys on this board who can vouch for it.

Even with 35" tires, I'd swear it will pick the front wheels off the ground if he tried.

Nichols Engineering gets an A+ from me.

If you wanting to just drop it off and pick it up done call newcomer racing in harrisburg. He builds the most bad ass strokers out there.

Agreed. I will most likely go with a stroker. I'm leaning towards the "Poor Man's" build from Dino's website. Is this what you are running? Any variations?

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP +0.020" bore pistons
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 HO camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
248hp @ 4900rpm, 303lbft @ 3500rpm

Agreed. I will most likely go with a stroker. I'm leaning towards the "Poor Man's" build from Dino's website. Is this what you are running? Any variations?
Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP +0.020" bore pistons
9.25:1 CR
Stock 4.0 HO camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
248hp @ 4900rpm, 303lbft @ 3500rpm
Mine's even poorer, stock head with no work, stock injectors, stock cam. IIRC, I used H802CP pistons also, with a .030 overbore needed to clean up the block. The plastic bottom tank split on my radiator while I was going down the interstate on a rainy day, and all 6 pistons melted in a hurry.

Never had it dyno'd, but it'll run 10.6@63mph in the 1/8th mile, and 17.0@76 in the 1/4 mile, weighing 5100lbs on 35's.

Mine's even poorer, stock head with no work, stock injectors, stock cam. IIRC, I used H802CP pistons also, with a .030 overbore needed to clean up the block. The plastic bottom tank split on my radiator while I was going down the interstate on a rainy day, and all 6 pistons melted in a hurry.

Never had it dyno'd, but it'll run 10.6@63mph in the 1/8th mile, and 17.0@76 in the 1/4 mile, weighing 5100lbs on 35's.

I'm hijacking my own thread, let me know if I need to start a separate thread.

Anyway, did you have the H802CP pistons dished? Any pinging? What octane fuel are you running?

Thanks for the help!

I'm hijacking my own thread, let me know if I need to start a separate thread.
Anyway, did you have the H802CP pistons dished? Any pinging? What octane fuel are you running?
Thanks for the help!
No, didn't have them dished. I do have to run 89, but I don't get any pinging.

I'll start another thread for the sake of future searches, because there are a good handful of guys on here who have done strokers.

Found it.
* (704) 827-6482

I called here today to get a quote on machining the block and valve job to the head and the old guy that answered basically hung up on me. He was jerk. All he would say was bring it by and I'll look at it....then click...

Wow! That's no way to run a business.

I have the 4.0L torn down that's going in my MJ. I'm thinking about doing a complete rebuild and or stroker. Anyone on here have machine shop recommendations in Charlotte?
I have talked to Poteat's in Kannapolis, but haven't talked to anyone who has any experience with them?

Poteat's built my 4.0l longblock in my old yj. No complaints, and they have a decent warranty as well. I hydrolocked my jeep and threw the #1 rod through the block and oil pan so I had to shop around. I would def. recommend them through personal experience.

Poteat's (Elizabeth Ave Kannapolis) rebuilt my 258 I6 in 2006. They bored it .030" over, installed flat-top pistons, and a low RPM cam. It runs like a bear, lots of power, and I have not had a hint of a problem with it. Recommend them highly!

Hope this helps! :)

I built an 4.6 el cheapo' over four years ago for my mothers 92 Cherokee with the 4.2 lightweight crank, 4.2 short rods, cast 'junk' pistons, with fat rings 5/64", light porting job with stock valves and springs, a 260 crane cam, ported straight runner intake 91-98', ported throttle body, with #24 cobra injectors, and it still runs great with better fuel mileage than the 4.0. Also, we ran it at the dragstrip for giggles before we pulled the transmission to rebuild due to slipping and it still ran 9.6's in the 1/8' mile.

Back