Major fire in Charlotte this morning

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
Major fire at an apartment complex under construction in Charlotte. News is saying four alarms but other reliable sources saying at least five. There was a tower crane operator trapped, and at least one fire apparatus has damage and was reportedly abandoned trying to keep the crane operator safe until a rescue could be performed. There was also a mayday called but the crew self extricated and the mayday was cancelled.

Several other links and pics on the socials as well.

Duane

Do you know how they rescued him? A local fire geek is posting some updates from the radio traffic, and he said a FF team was ready with rope but command ordered them to stand down and a helo had been requested.

Duane

We were watching/managing the traffic at the TMC. We couldn't see how they rescued the crane operator. Maybe had him climb down a bit and grabbed him with a ladder?

x2 on one ladder truck being totally destroyed. Plus untold number of equipment and surrounding buildings.

Spray foam diesel pump caught fire in parking deck, they figured it would self contain, didn't account for the hose being flammable, this went across the street to the podium with 2 floors framed, and adjacent 3 floor framed building.

Yeah it was originally dispatched as a vehicle fire and only one engine was sent

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

Duane

I can't imagine living in a 5 story wood framed structure with 100+ other units. Can't understand why they aren't framed out of metal studs or FT lumber. @Jody Treadway This burned so much quicker due to not being hung with sheetrock, but I'd expect a couple deaths for them to change the code in several years.

I can't imagine living in a 5 story wood framed structure with 100+ other units. Can't understand why they aren't framed out of metal studs or FT lumber. @Jody Treadway This burned so much quicker due to not being hung with sheetrock, but I'd expect a couple deaths for them to change the code in several years.
Around here they have to be framed out of fire retardant treated lumber once they hit five stories tall.
That really is a shame.

Edited thanks the dual HICs around here 😜

Last edited:
Collection of vids and clips, including the tower crane operator climbing down and a statement by the chief. 15 rescued and two still unaccounted for.

Duane

Back