Manifold Paint

etjeep

Just got the stock AMC cast iron exhaust manifolds blasted. Need to paint them. Has anyone used that 1200F rated ceramic rattlecan paint that you find in PEP boys or various auto parts stores or do I need to order something from the Eastwood company. This is not a resto, I just want it to last. Whats your experience with painted exhaust manifolds? The natural rust color just clashses so much with the AMC blue I am going to spray my motor.

Yup, used it on my ram's horns... Look at the pic in "the good, bad, and ugly, and you'll see how it looks. kept it from rusting, but very little red is still visible, and I applied it exactly per the instructions.

Cool,
I saw some red peaking out from under the fender of your Cruiser. Is that what you meant? I may be blind, but that looked like a valve cover to me. I was under the impression you did not have many hours/miles on the freshened Cruiser, so I am wondering how painting holds up.

I have used some of that on the "air pulse" tube that connects to my exhaust header. Started out black, now its kind of a dark grey after ~7k miles. Buts its still there and holding on okay.

etjeep said:
Cool,
I saw some red peaking out from under the fender of your Cruiser. Is that what you meant? I may be blind, but that looked like a valve cover to me. I was under the impression you did not have many hours/miles on the freshened Cruiser, so I am wondering how painting holds up.

The red is the valve covers... the manifolds have turned black except for the very front of it. happened within a few hours of run time. But, still good for preventing rust.

So what you are saying is I should choose a dark color

Rich,
So is there a story as too why they turned black. Is it just from the heat? Oil leaks? It can't be from the clean burning pane..

The reason I ask is the stuff at PEP boys is Duplicolor or something, supposedly good for 1200 F.

Is there a brand that will not blacken?

The cruiser's engine actually doesn't leak a drop.. it's just the heat. I painted them about a year ago when i swapped in the current engine. I do know it was the Dupli-color 1200* stuff. BUT, remembering back, I wasn't able to put them in an oven at 400* or whatever for 1/2 hour... maybe that would have helped?

Yep, That's what yellowhood did, and it worked. Just mae sure the wife is away! It does smell up the place

this is funny but it actually worked. I had some leftover grill paint from a pig cooker I built and painted my manifolds with the grill paint (when I had manifolds). It smoked for a few minutes but covered good and stuck on there.

yup grill paint went on flat black, still the same...

oh wait i guess i need to run the engine first.. :( j/k got about 12 hrs run time on it so far so good...

upnover said:
send a pm to yellowhood , he used some and so far it's staying on. It's silver colored.
PM sent. Sounds like there is something to this baking trick.

upnover said:
Yep, That's what yellowhood did, and it worked. Just mae sure the wife is away! It does smell up the place

Doubt the wifey is going to let me near the oven with manifolds, she is extremely sensative to cleaners and chemicals. However, the gas grill is my domain. That should work fine.

yager said:
yup grill paint went on flat black, still the same...

oh wait i guess i need to run the engine first.. :( j/k got about 12 hrs run time on it so far so good...

Studnuts and Yager,
Never thought about that. Any idea on what the specs are for temp? If higher than 1200*, it might be worth doing. The Dup-1200* is only $5 a can or so, so its not about the cost, its about do I want to re-do it again later.

maverick said:
POR15 Factory Manifold Gray is rated @1400F an holds up really
well.

OK, this is sounding better. Anyone know who carries this in the Raleigh area?

etjeep said:
However, the gas grill is my domain. That should work fine.

Great idea! Wish I had thought of that... Might be time for a re-coat... When this engine dies, that is.

maybe thad will chime in, but the headers i bought from JB and then sold to thad got painted with silver manifold paint when i had them. last time i saw them at the playground they still looked good but that was the maiden voyage for those after they were painted

I used the silver ceramic paint on my turbo manifold and it is starting to chip off but the manifold gets very hot under full boost.

Sam(slim)

Eastwood makes a header paint that you cure by running the engine after it dries.They have different colors.Stays on really well and a friend has it on his real sweet 72 Chevy truck so in had to look good and stay on.I think it's been on there for about 5 years now and still looks good and he brushed it on.The heat during curing got rid of the brush marks.Not sure about the price but most Eastwood stuff is a little high but good quality,plus it would probably have to be ordered.

Back