Mechanic's lein/title?

TeamSpatula

Anybody ever gotten one? A buddy of mine runs a shop and may need to get one on a vehicle that was left there after not being paid for work done.
thanks,

typically the invoice listing the repair "IS" the mechanics lean and the car owner is agreeing that if he/she doesnt pay the mechanic WILL keep the car. That paper should then be enough to retitle etc...

edit: should add this is usually the small print on the back side and clearly spelled out.. .

So basically he can go to the DMV, and get all the paperwork done without the owner having to sign anything? Unfortunately, it's kind of a bad situation, the owner died, and his family doesn't want anything to do with the car, won't find the title, etc...

my understanding is that a mechanics lean has a time line to it. The car must be left for a period of time before it can be applied for. You apply for a mechanics lean(title). They send it to the owner, see if anyone protests, if not you get the title. If so then I am guessing legal battle begins. The DMV has all the neccessary forms and today would be good day to go ask for help.

Contact the DMV..I've done this several times takes a couple of months by the time the dust settles. It's well worth it if the car/truck is worth the time. Heck the last one I got cost me about $350 in parts and $75 or so through the DMV..we turned around and sold it for $7000.

There are also abandoned property laws the DMV has to get you a tittle to a car, I believe the wait for that is only 30 Days, Again, just call the DMV in Raleigh, and they can help you out.

as far as i know the mechanic cant just outright buy the vehicle, it has to be sold on open "auction"

Back