Megasquirt ecu tuning on an '89 Toyota 4runner

toyotacrawler31

Alright, I have decided I am just not smart enough to do tuning on an ecu. I've got an '89 toyota 4runner 22re, I decided along with some top end work, cam, injectors, throttle body, head studs, prep for a low boost turbo, I would retardedly buy a megasquirt pnp and slap on it, the fast and the furious guys can do it why can't I. Learn to tune, drive it a little, then slap the turbo on and tune it again. But after an obscene amount of time of the thing just sitting I give up, I honestly cannot figure out where I'm going wrong in the tune but I just can't get right. So my question, does anyone have a suggestion for a shop to tune it, or better yet is there anyone on the board that has the knowledge and would be willing to give it a try with proper compensation of course? I would really like to drive the darn thing and enjoy it, so I'm looking for suggestions/help. I'm in Kernersville (between Winston/ Greensboro) but not opposed to hauling it somewhere to the right person to get it done. So suggestions or help, I know nothing about the sort of shops that would do this sort of thing so knowing who to trust is my issue.

Nigel at Brutal Speed and Tuning is pretty good with Megasquirt. Its not a terrible drive from where your at. He's not cheap but well worth it.

Zero help here but just curious why you went mega squirt instead of leaving the factory efi on it? They are good for low boost if your definition of low boost is 5ish lbs.
Mainly because I'm an idiot and can't go the simple route with things. When i bought it the 4runner had an issue of randomly dying when coming to a stop, I decided I wanted to do a little work on the top end, cam, ect, then it turned into buying a turbo and making a manifold, so then it snowballed to buying the megasquirt because I thought it would be fun to learn to tune it. But with a job where I randomly work many hours, have way too many projects going on, and 3 kids and a wife that enjoy going to the coast every chance we get, I never get the chance to work on things as i like so here it sits. But honestly I planned on a little more boost than I'm planning on now, seeing how far I could take it.

Nigel is good but I don't think he messes with MS much and definitely not on 22r's. What issues are you having? Could it be wiring related?
I highly doubt it's related to wiring, the old girl ran great before i put the megasquirt on other than a random but not serious dying issue when coming to a stop, It's honestly just me not understanding what I'm doing wrong and making things worse, plus not having hardly any time to mess with it so in the few minutes here and there I get to mess with it doesn't get me anywhere. Just to the point to where I'd rather see if someone else can get her going because if I don't I have no clue when i'll get the time myself.

I highly doubt it's related to wiring, the old girl ran great before i put the megasquirt on other than a random but not serious dying issue when coming to a stop, It's honestly just me not understanding what I'm doing wrong and making things worse, plus not having hardly any time to mess with it so in the few minutes here and there I get to mess with it doesn't get me anywhere. Just to the point to where I'd rather see if someone else can get her going because if I don't I have no clue when i'll get the time myself.

Will it run at all? If it's running email megasquirt and ask for an rte base tune

Will it run at all? If it's running email megasquirt and ask for an rte base tune
Yes it runs I'm just having trouble with staying running during warm up, then getting fuel numbers right in correlation to a reasonable AFR reading. I'm not running the turbo yet, I am just trying to get it going N/A right now to kinda drive it and revive the want to get it finished, but I have it on megasquirts 22re base tune which on mine was not the greatest and then I have just made it worse. Again my biggest problem is my severe limitation of time to even think about messing with it, if I get lucky enough to get even an hour of free time in a whole week it's spent working on one of many other things that have easier things to get done and be running/ driving, so if possible at this point I'd rather find someone and for the first time in my 20 years of doing this stuff just let them figure it out so I can enjoy it.

Back