Mini air show (WWII planes) Burlington/Statesville/Greenville SC.

Tacoma747

The Collings Foundation travels around with these planes, you can pay to take a 30 minute flight, or you can pay a lot less to tour them. You can also just walk around outside for free and watch them fly too. I mean, what guy couldn't like some old bombers and a P-51?

B-24 (only flight worthy one on the planet)
B-17
B-25
P-51 (you can fly in the p-51 as well and actually fly the plane but it is $$$$)

Richmond VA 19-21st
Burlington NC 22-24th
Statesville NC 24-26th
Greenville SC 26-28th

Additional info on their website
www.collingsfoundation.org

Side note, if you live near Winston Salem, on Wednesday the 24th they will be flying from Burlington to Statesville (my guess around 1pm) and the plan is to make a couple loops around Pilot mtn, so go to Pilot Mountain for an awesome sight. I will be IN the b-24 on that flight from Burlington to Statesville so take a camera, I'll wave.

8012d2330ca81635c1c980f98a4d2979.png

That's awesome I would like to see/hear them flying and would love to ride on the 17 or the 25, but I'll be @ the beach the week. I hope someone gets video of the flybys @ pilot mountain.

Richmond, VA – Richmond Executive Airport-Chesterfield County (FCI)
October 19 @ 2:00 pm - October 21 @ 4:30 pm

Burlington, NC – Burlington-Alamance Regional Airport (BUY)
October 22 @ 12:00 pm - October 24 @ 12:00 pm

Statesville, NC – Statesville Regional Airport (SVH)
October 24 @ 2:00 pm - October 26 @ 12:00 pm

Greenville, SC – Greenville Downtown Airport (GMU)
October 26 @ 2:00 pm - October 28 @ 4:00 pm

Just got the word I will be in the p-51 on the flight from Richmond to Burlington. Hope that thing has enough room for my 6'6 self so I dont have to chop my legs off to get in it. Going up the Weyers cave to volunteer and travelling with them until Statesville. Needless to say I am excited. Been planning it since August.

Just got the word I will be in the p-51 on the flight from Richmond to Burlington. Hope that thing has enough room for my 6'6 self so I dont have to chop my legs off to get in it. Going up the Weyers cave to volunteer and travelling with them until Statesville. Needless to say I am excited. Been planning it since August.
That's awesome

Take pictures.... lots of pictures......

Im going, its about 10 minutes from work, just trying to decide if Im showing up in the GPW...

Im going, its about 10 minutes from work, just trying to decide if Im showing up in the GPW...

Find me and say hey. Will be the tall skinny young guy. Not sure what I will be doing, probably a pee-on task like selling shirts or something. I will likely only be there on the 24th and 25th.

On a side note, if someone can volunteer to bring me back to Winston-Salem from Greenville, I could probably get you a flight from Statesville to Greenville in the 17,24, or 25.

I’m SO jealous!!! I got to jump out of a Douglas C47 Skytrain into Normandy to celebrate/commemorate D-day 4 years ago. It was the coolest thing I have ever done in my military career and an amazing privilege. My grandfather made the real jump with the 101st. The MEN who manned those aircraft and the ones who jumped from them were truly our greatest generation.

Grab each prop 9 times and pull. Nothing special just was kind of cool. I think he said it was too help lubricate each cylinder before startup.
Seems like I've seen old film of something like that.... Truly cool!

I got to help fuel/oil the B-25 this morning. Flew in the nose of the B-25 from Weyers cave to Richmond, that was an awesome ride to put it lightly, flying in formation with the B-24 was sweet.

Once in Richmond we had to pull the prop off the B-24 and pull the red cowl off to replace it. New one is in crate and will go on tomorrow.

The picture out the top of a plane is in the B-17. Pretty crazy standing up with your head sticking out the top of the plane.

IMG_20181019_180140.jpg
IMG_20181019_180111.jpg
IMG_20181019_180050.jpg

To me that has to be the coolest thing....

Favorite picture I took yesterday. Didn't fly any today, rained this morning so after the rain stopped we worked on putting the cowl back on and the prop. Still have some brackets and panels to put on tomorrow. There is a B-17 and B-25 flight scheduled for tomorrow so I will probably at least be on the B-25 flight.

_DSC0053.JPG

Back