Mini-Jeep for kids (125cc ATV sort of thing)

Tacoma747

Having seen one of these a year or two ago at the Denton Military vehicle rally I knew then I'd have to get one for my boys. The other day I saw one on FB marketplace so met the guy at 9pm that night and it came home with me. It was pretty much spotless when I got it, but has already gotten fairly muddy and been through the creek multiple times. Anyone looking for something to teach your kids how to drive I highly recommend one of these. I like it over an ATV because you can ride with them to teach them, but also it drives just like a car, not an ATV.

Specs:
125cc Honda clone
3spd w/reverse (it will run probably 30mph)
Disk brakes front and back
Shift indicatior on dash shows what gear you are in
Working headlights, turn signals, and brake lights

I have already ordered 4 new shocks for it, the factory shocks compress about 1/2" if I bounce on a front corner, they are HORRIBLE. The shocks I ordered are pictured below, $112 shipped for 4. I will have to add brackets on the rear to fit the longer 11" travel shocks, but it will be easy. I went with 11" because they were cheaper than 9" shocks.

HIGHLY recommend one of these for kids 4+. My 4 year old drives it great just can't really do the throttle/brake yet. My 6 year old has been driving it by himself just fine, but doesn't have the shifting down pat just yet.

IMG_20190206_180800.jpg
Screenshot_20190206-203037.png
IMG_20190206_180712.jpg

So what are they called and where can I buy one?

When we upgrade from the electric car, this will be the next step. Very cool.

thats awesome!

I could never find a RZR 170 for less than about $3k that wasn't completely ragged out. I am not sure if the RZR 170 has H/L speeds either.

Safety wise the RZR would definitely be better. But not sure I could fit in one of them to help my 4 year old drive.
Im not sure on the speeds. I'd say each has its pros & cons. Wonder how hard a Sami case and axles would be?

Shocks finally showed up. I thought the fronts would bolt on but they won't, the upper control arm would hit the reservoir. I will have to raise the upper and lower mounting points for the front shocks.

The pictures are of the rear shock installed. I ended up using the factory top point, and welded a bolt on the trailing arm for the bottom. Not sure if the single shear will be too much or not, if so I can drill/sleeve the trailing arm (might do this anyways, I was just trying to confirm it would function. I only have one shock installed on the back currently.

With the factory shocks I could not get the rear to compress more than MAYBE 1/2". Now from full extension to full compression it has 4"-5" of travel.

I have also learned the RFY shocks are not precharged with nitrogen, which is no big deal, but that their fill of oil is also too low, so they really just don't function as they should out of the box...

IMG_20190217_180107520.jpg
IMG_20190217_180059377.jpg

If anyone ever does this, the reservoir shocks were an easy add-on for the rear with slight modification. They likely added some travel over the factory 8" shocks (assuming the 8" shocks would have moved). The reservoir shocks are a PITA to make fit on the front, but since sending stuff back is a PITA on ebay I made them work. Would have been easier to just buy some 11" non-reservoir shocks. I had to raise the frame mount about 3", which is fine, but I also had to raise the mount on the control arm 3", which looks pretty horrible, but it works. It may get reworked at some point. I still have to do the RF, then fill all the shocks with oil/nitrogen.

My oldest was already talking about hitting some jumps with it. Not sure of the monster I am creating.

How does the trans work? The reason I ask is because I have a golf cart that needs an engine. The one I have is a slug. They have HF predator swaps you can do but the trans is the bitch. You can only go forward. Just looking for ideas on how to get the engine upgrade and forward and reverse.

It is
How does the trans work? The reason I ask is because I have a golf cart that needs an engine. The one I have is a slug. They have HF predator swaps you can do but the trans is the bitch. You can only go forward. Just looking for ideas on how to get the engine upgrade and forward and reverse.

It is just a small ATV engine and transmission. Find you a junk TaoTao 125 cc ATV and you coulr likely use it all. They are chain drive if that matters.

I had read online that the RFY shocks are pretty much always low on oil, so after removing the spring and confirming this I attempted to disassemble one. I could not get the shock shaft out, and was afraid I would mess up the seals if I tried harder, so I just drilled and tapped a hole in the reservoir. With the shock clamped in the vise I can fill it VERY slowly (syringe and a WD-40 spray tube 'gravity drip' system). The first shock I did was MUCH better, no more air in it, or at least if there is any it's not enough to feel. Not sure this will really make a difference, but I figured I might as well do it before they get covered in mud. Removing the bladder from the reservoir is pretty easy so it doesn't take long. Takes way longer to actually fill the shock with oil.

IMG_20190309_185139784.jpg

Back