Miraculous Freezing

Shreddinlettuce

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2016
Location
Hickory
I have a closet in my house that stays cooler than the rest of the house. I put a damprid hanger that fills up a bag with water over a few weeks time. I looked this am and the water was frozen.

Temp overnight was 53 low and we did not run heat, a/c set on 71.

I have checked that room in the past and it has a 6x8 register fed by an 8” hard pipe that is the closest room to the indoor unit, and the outdoor unit is right outside the wall, refrigerant lines run under the closet floor. That room has consistently been 5f cooler than the main living area.

Could this just be a break in the coolant lines insulation? Or is it something more sinister?
 
Water freezing in a room-temp closet?

I think you need a priest or exorcist, not an HVAC tech.
 
Water freezing in a room-temp closet?

I think you need a priest or exorcist, not an HVAC tech.
Come on - you are the science nerd.
Damp rid works by crystal calcium chloride absorbing moisture and then dissolving. at a 40% concentration it would freeze at 61F according to AI.
1790606164598.png
 
Why is the a register in a closet? Thats hella weird to me
 
Why is the a register in a closet? Thats hella weird to me
I like the idea in a big walk- in just to introduce some air changes, but there's not a lot of load there. Cydney's closet is on an outside corner and just has a louvered door... No issues maintaining temperature.

Kinda weird the closet is too cold on a heating day, though. I'd expect it to be cold on a cooling day and warm on a heating day if it's receiving too much conditioned air.
 
Those damp-rid bags have something in them that crystalizes the moisture that they capture. Did it feel cold to the touch?
 
Back
Top