Mosquitoes!!!!!

XJsavage

CounterCulture
I am getting ate slap up by these little f***s. Seem to be getting worse every year around my area. Aside from the typical prevention methods (dumping stagnant water, cutting grass, trimming bushes) what actually works to knock the population down? Anything?

It's so intolerable that I'm debating on going to Lowe's right now and buying the materials to fully screen in my carport just so I can sit outside and not have 10 mosquitoes land on me. It's THAT bad.
And I've given up using bug spray. I get an allergic reaction to deet.

I am getting ate slap up by these little f***s. Seem to be getting worse every year around my area. Aside from the typical prevention methods (dumping stagnant water, cutting grass, trimming bushes) what actually works to knock the population down? Anything?
It's not just your place, horrible here this year. Mild winter I'm sure didn't help. My daughter is very allergic to bug bites, really sucks.

I've had pretty good results with a hose end insect sprayer. I spray everything from foundation out to edge of yard . It lasts for several rains. Also used a fogger. Have to apply with no wind. Works quick and doesn't last.

I'll be doing some reading up on the chemicals then. If I spray the yard myself I do have an atomizer I use at work that'll go down to xxxx ppm. The chemical being plant/animal safe is my biggest concern really.

I'll be doing some reading up on the chemicals then. If I spray the yard myself I do have an atomizer I use at work that'll go down to xxxx ppm. The chemical being plant/animal safe is my biggest concern really.
The talstar is safe after drying, has a pretty good residual [emoji106]

I have a citronella plant on my deck. it's pretty big. When those little bastards attack me I get a couple leaves and rub my neck and arms. They hate it & wont come near me.

Yup they are bad this year. My son isn't allergic but is hypersensitive to the birds. They leave huge welts on him. All of the above are good solutions but I don't think anything is 100% except the screened porch.... even this have their flaws....

The best has been around for decades in use in dairy farms, horse ranches, etc. and is called Pyrethrin. Lots of local companies have sprung up spraying it every three weeks or so, with free call backs if the little buggers pop up. Mosquito Authority is the one I use and it reclaimed my yard from being in a fog of bugs to a nice day outside. All my neighbors thought the population had dwindled naturally until I told them... of course none offered to kick in any cash... ain't cheap but is worth every penny. At least one person here has bought the gear to do his own spraying and does the odd job or two for friends/neighbors, so can be done cheaper after that initial investment.

From your favorite Wiki:
The pyrethrins are a class of organic compounds normally derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium that have potent insecticidal activity by targeting the nervous systems of insects. Pyrethrin is synthetically made by industrial methods, but it also naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers, thus is often considered an organic insecticide, or at least when it is not combined with piperonyl butoxide or other synthetic adjuvants.[1] Their insecticidal and insect-repellent properties have been known and used for thousands of years.

Pyrethrins are gradually replacing organophosphates and organochlorides as the pesticides of choice, since these other compounds have been shown to have significant and persistent toxic effects to humans. Because they are biodegradable compounds, pyrethrins are now widely regarded as being preferable to pyrethroids, which is the name of a group of synthetic analogues of pyrethrin that accumulate in the environment. Pyrethrins are considered to be low-toxicity pesticides from a human health standpoint.

Now you know why your grandma always had those stinky flowers around the porch... ;-)

Thanks for the tips. I discussed with a few neighbors last night and they're even willing to aid in the purchase and spraying about half the block.

We e had good results with the propane Mosquito Magnet. Just place it out in the back yard and let it do its thing. It's worked better than paying someone to come spray each year.

I'll +1 for talstarP
Skip the local places if you have Amazon its 30bucks prime shipping for a gallon. Hit up harborfreight for a backpack sprayer with the mist nozzle. Make sure to spray shrubs good and run the wand into the shrub to get it on the inside and underside of the leaves.
Mist the yard and cover the perimeter of the house up 4-5 feet and out 4-5 feet. It'll knock down spiders and ant and anything else insect wise.
I like to use suspendSC inside the house if/when it's needed, but if you keep them down outside it's not usually needed.
Be cautious about helping neighbors as it's perfectly legal to do your own property but a license is needed to do others. I.E. keep it on the down low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. I discussed with a few neighbors last night and they're even willing to aid in the purchase and spraying about half the block.

If that's the case y'all could split the cost of a backpack fogger. I've spoken to company's that do this service. They use talstar usually. It's a pyrithriod.

Avoid spraying blooms to prevent bees being affected and avoid spraying before it rains. This stuff will kill fish. We know how you like your water sports. Lol.

If that's the case y'all could split the cost of a backpack fogger. I've spoken to company's that do this service. They use talstar usually. It's a pyrithriod.

Avoid spraying blooms to prevent bees being affected and avoid spraying before it rains. This stuff will kill fish. We know how you like your water sports. Lol.
I'm weary about that because over the last 60 years there has been so many blooming flowers and plants put in the ground here. Roses of every color, 4 varieties of lillies, dogwoods, dandelions, bleeding hearts...that's just off the top of my head. Nearest major waterway is ~3 miles, but feeder creeks are everywhere. I am sort of at the top of a hill on what used to be pasture and farm land.

Yea. That's a concern. I think your ok as long as it dries good prior to rainfall. As far as the blooms the harbor freight backpack sprayer may be better so you can avoid the blooms while spraying the rest.
I wait till after my azaleas finish blooming before I'll spray them. I walk my yard and mist it. I have clover in a few spots. If you do maybe set the mower a little lower to get most of the blooms cut off first. Short of old tires and puddles, mosquitoes like damp grass and the undersides of leaves on bushes. Do some research and asses your landscape for optimal mosquito habitat. Kill the bastards in their "safe space", and avoid the rest. You should see a significant decrease within a day.
I do the bases of my cherry trees and oaks to kill the black carpenter ants.
Hate sounding like a fan boy but the stuff is pretty amazing. .75 oz to a gallon and you've got treatment for most crawlers. 1.5 oz to a gallon and a trench will treat your foundation for termite.

Get some bifen it

Bifen IT

The talstar is safe after drying, has a pretty good residual [emoji106]
Those are both great Mosquito sprays but it's not a one and done deal. Spray 4 days apart to start and then every week and once you feel you have control, try two weeks, Just don't spray it on blooming plants but do spray any areas of leaves and pine straw. Spray all lawn areas and slow drainage areas. Spray into street drains and any outside pipes that hold water. CLEAN your gutters and spray them also. Let it dry before walking or entering sprayed areas. A backpack sprayer works best. And add a sticker/surfactant to your spray solution.
Pyrethrin aerosol is a great product for the immediate control.
SiteOne has these supplies but you can also use online sources. Crosscheck is SiteOne's product that I use and they have the large aerosol spray can of Pyrethrins.
You may also want to eat some garlic...

Mosquitoes hang out on the underside of leaves, so you spray "up" to kill them there rather than where the breed. I have the Guys saturate areas on the ground where I know they breed but in general it's hard to tell so you get em when they're chillin. Easy enough to avoid things you don't want to spray and once it dries it doesn't migrate. I have lots of bees insects birds butterflies fireflies rabbits etc so feel pretty good about it.

SiteOne has these supplies but you can also use online sources. Crosscheck is SiteOne's product that I use and they have the large aerosol spray can of Pyrethrins.

I got this from SiteOne for some ants around the workshop that nothing the big box hardware store would get rid of. Worked first time. Just ordered a backpack sprayer with a mist nozzle. Time to reclaim the yard (and hopefully not die of cancer in the process).

I got this from SiteOne for some ants around the workshop that nothing the big box hardware store would get rid of. Worked first time. Just ordered a backpack sprayer with a mist nozzle. Time to reclaim the yard (and hopefully not die of cancer in the process).
(fill sprayer with water first to test and learn it's operating characteristics)
If you follow directions, mix with rubber gloves on, wear eye protection when mixing, and wear pants and shoes when spraying you will never have an issue. If you find that you are sensitive to any of the chemicals, try a cheap facemask. ALWAYS wash clothes that you wear separately from the rest of laundry and use hot water when washing them.
Everyone should always take to time to read the precautions and warning labels before mixing and using pesticides. Most issues happen during mixing.
BUT the chemicals of today or very safe for humans and non-target pests if used per the label. Old chemicals like Malathion, 24D and others were derived from warfare and were used as defoliants and mosquito control in the jungles. Malathion was actually derived from a nerve gas that was developed in WWII. The 24d of today is different from it's original form but still effective and potentially harmful.

(fill sprayer with water first to test and learn it's operating characteristics)
If you follow directions, mix with rubber gloves on, wear eye protection when mixing, and wear pants and shoes when spraying you will never have an issue. If you find that you are sensitive to any of the chemicals, try a cheap facemask. ALWAYS wash clothes that you wear separately from the rest of laundry and use hot water when washing them.
Everyone should always take to time to read the precautions and warning labels before mixing and using pesticides. Most issues happen during mixing.
BUT the chemicals of today or very safe for humans and non-target pests if used per the label. Old chemicals like Malathion, 24D and others were derived from warfare and were used as defoliants and mosquito control in the jungles. Malathion was actually derived from a nerve gas that was developed in WWII. The 24d of today is different from it's original form but still effective and potentially harmful.
I like to use tracker when I spray. It makes it easy to see where you sprayed and how much you put down.

Back