MOTD (Meme of the Day)

upload_2020-12-5_7-23-59.jpeg

I'm speaking ignorantly here, because I was too chicken shit to join. However, I do find that hard to believe. Even before the panic, $500 would get you mim LPK's, polymer lowers (or poverty pony), crooked barrels and untested BCG's made from 9310. That gets you to $250-300 before you even touch the upper, hanguard, furniture, etc. I know plenty of civilian offerings are now calling themselves 'better than milspec'...and they are...but I am legitimately curious about parts that are 'trusted' for under $500. Parts used out of desperation sure, parts used that weren't adjusted for inflation ok...but I'd imagine there's some sort of milspec rule about defects per million and/or testing, that would rule out the vast majority of current day $500 rifles.
Not to turn a meme thread into gun talk. But I will say that the actual purchase price of an M16A2 was about $770 back in the day. That's what it was listed at on the property book. Now, if you lost one, price didn't matter. Your ass was still in a world of hurt. But it just shows that the issue milspec rifle was not the super quality that folks think it is. So, you should be able to get close for $500.

Not to turn a meme thread into gun talk. But I will say that the actual purchase price of an M16A2 was about $770 back in the day. That's what it was listed at on the property book. Now, if you lost one, price didn't matter. Your ass was still in a world of hurt. But it just shows that the issue milspec rifle was not the super quality that folks think it is. So, you should be able to get close for $500.

Yeah...having done military contracts in the aerospace and steel industries...I have no false sense of what ‘military grade’/milspec actually means. However my point was even pre-panic prices on parts even shittier than milspec, you might get a BCA or entry level PSA for $500, at least in the civilian market. Like I said, I’m ignorantly speaking and genuinely curious...so if that’s what you guys are being issued, damn...just damn.

Yeah...having done military contracts in the aerospace and steel industries...I have no false sense of what ‘military grade’/milspec actually means. However my point was even pre-panic prices on parts even shittier than milspec, you might get a BCA or entry level PSA for $500, at least in the civilian market. Like I said, I’m ignorantly speaking and genuinely curious...so if that’s what you guys are being issued, damn...just damn.

I was issued a Colt M4. Never had a problem with it. I don't even know why there is a discussion comparing a bottom of the shelf $500 AR to anything but used clapped out Kia spectra. You know it's going to fail and soon, you just don't know when.

Yeah, I haven't looked for parts during panic season. I made the mistake of asking how much 9mm ammo cost at the range the other day. Lucky I still have a few hundred rounds..

So, I have a BCA barrel in a build (they literally gave it to me). It shoots straight. It's parkerized but not chrome lined. That's a common way to reduce cost (especially before nitride barrels became popular). For most of us, we will never see the round counts needed to make chrome lining a huge issue. So, it's no biggy. Considering the Army contracted with Bushmaster and the DEA used to contract with Rock River Arms, I think most of the basic issue parts for ARs now a days are a commodity. They aren't THAT expensive to produce to the same quality as a military rifle. The expense comes in rail systems, sights, etc that require innovation, design, and new manufacturing.

Yeah, I haven't looked for parts during panic season. I made the mistake of asking how much 9mm ammo cost at the range the other day. Lucky I still have a few hundred rounds..

So, I have a BCA barrel in a build (they literally gave it to me). It shoots straight. It's parkerized but not chrome lined. That's a common way to reduce cost (especially before nitride barrels became popular). For most of us, we will never see the round counts needed to make chrome lining a huge issue. So, it's no biggy. Considering the Army contracted with Bushmaster and the DEA used to contract with Rock River Arms, I think most of the basic issue parts for ARs now a days are a commodity. They aren't THAT expensive to produce to the same quality as a military rifle. The expense comes in rail systems, sights, etc that require innovation, design, and new manufacturing.

I built my AR a little at a time. PSA 16” nitride upper, boron BCG, Aero lower, PSA lower parts kit, standard mil spec hand guards and stock.

I built it as cheap as I could (using decent parts) as things were on sale. Objective is for it to be a truck gun. Not a sniper rifle or safe queen.

Back