Motor dying on steep incline help

It would start to stall in 4hi if I was starting to climb a rock on flat ground. Always in 1st gear

That doesn't sound unusual. Does it climb the rock in low range?

Spec is 44-54 psi on a 97 Wrangler.

If you have 30psi at idle, I guarantee it's dropping well below that under load. Especially after running it for awhile.

BTDT. My xj has a return fuel system so I added a hphv and left the one in tank for a lift pump.

Best course of action would be to LS it!:driver:

which, too low an idle can be caused by the iac.

IAC only matters at idle. A bad/clogged IAC doesn't have any effect under any other condition, including any throttle opening or any engine load. TPS, yes. MAP or MAF, yes. IAT, maybe.

I watched it do it a few times at Harlan.
It seemed to me it was stalling by having too low of an idle speed
I say TP and/or IAC buddy

Idle speed doesn't matter. He said it was to the wood and stalled anyway.

Idle speed doesn't matter. He said it was to the wood and stalled anyway.

His definition of to the wood is different from mine.

I never saw it stall while under throttle.
He's said that a few times, but I only saw it when he released the throttle and it.......................
Idled too low and stalled. Then immediately restarted without issue.

My bet is on something causing the low idle condition upon the closing of the throttle. Something like a TPS or IAC

Last edited:
Hmm.

Well, it's either to the wood, or it's not. If it's to the wood, it's pig rich. Chop the throttle, and it goes super fat for an instant because it now has no air, and it might try to stall. Fuel injection is better about it because you can meter fuel more quickly and more precisely, but it's not immune.

If ours stall under load like that, you often have to open the throttle to get them to restart. Its basically flooded, and you have to get some air in there to clean out the mess. So if it fires right up, maybe that's not it. But if putting it in 4lo fixes the problem, I'm skeptical.

It is the darndest thing, and I am not surprised there are a few theories.

So I will give some more details. This jeep is driven on the road and off. Never had any problems on the road, never had a problem grabbing gears and merging into traffic. Only problem is on an inline, a rather steep one.

When it stalls, it always on an incline and it usually happens when I am in 4 high and 1st gear and have the accelerator at least half way to the floor, turning lots of RPMS, I just lose my RPMs all of a sudden and it stalls. I have a hand throttle, so I have even tried setting that so the RPMs can't drop (thinking maybe subconsciously I am letting off the pedal)... still stalls.

With it only being at incline I was thinking fuel delivery, so new fuel pump and a full take of gas next time out... still stalled.

The only way I made it around Harlan on the steep hills was in 4lo and 1st gear and beating on the rev limiter (I even caught some air as @77GreenMachine saw)

So where do you guys get your items like a TPS? I have to say I just replaced the TPC a couple years ago when I was having distributer problems, but I did get it from o'reilly or advance if I remember correctly. Is rock auto the place to go?

So where do you guys get your items like a TPS? I have to say I just replaced the TPC a couple years ago when I was having distributer problems, but I did get it from o'reilly or advance if I remember correctly. Is rock auto the place to go?

Electronicols I like going with OEM. Amazon Link Here

Or, ya know, you could put a meter on the TPS and see if it's defective before randomly throwing parts at it.

Don't remember saying I'd blindly throw parts at the problem, I was just merely providing where I would get one from.

On a side note Clay I have a meter if you don't, a scanner would be the easiest way to test it though.

Don't remember saying I'd blindly throw parts at the problem, I was just merely providing where I would get one from.

On a side note Clay I have a meter if you don't, a scanner would be the easiest way to test it though.

It doesn't throw any codes, even during and after the stall, so would a scanner still do me any good?

A $10 mechanical meter will tell you all you need to know on the TPS.

If it's digital, it's going to have to be something fancy (like a fluke) to get a polling interval low enough to get reliable data. A cheap chinesium digital won't necessarily see a dead spot on a TPS.

Back