Mountain Bike Reccomendations

No fries

My wife is in the market for a mountain bike. I used to ride 15 years ago and still have my M700 Canondale with a Judy front shock (Circa 98?) :eek:
I was looking at new ones last weekend and damn they have changed!
We looked at a Trek Marlin 5. She rode it in the paring lot and said it was comfortable. Leaps beyond my old bike, back when I was riding late 90's early 00's Trek was more of a low end bike but now seems like they have bought everyone out.
We are just going to be riding easy trails for the immediate future. Rails to trails and local trails, would work up to White water center trails or the likes.
I used to ride Poplar tent, Sam Wilson (b4 whitewater center) Renaissance, and Pisgah etc. but with an extra 20lbs and some age it will be some time before I am riding anything like that.

$550 I think is a good starting point, just wondering what else I should be looking at if anything.

I think you're looking at the right type of bike. You can get a good quality aluminum hardtail in your price range. Have you checked out the classifieds on www.tarheeltrailblazers.com ?

I used to ride Catawba Riverfront park before it was the whitewater center. And my dad rode it on dirt bikes in the 70s and 80s, probably helped carve some of the trails that the entitled have commandeered. People still look at me funny when I bitch about the parking fees and talk about how I used to ride and park here for free.

for $550 I would say that Marlin is a good choice, for a new bike in that price range there all going to be coil fork and should have hydraulic breaks which the Marlin does. Can also look on FB market place. AS that price points of used bikes are found pretty easily from people just like you that try it and end up not riding it so they sell them.

I think you're looking at the right type of bike. You can get a good quality aluminum hardtail in your price range. Have you checked out the classifieds on www.tarheeltrailblazers.com ?

I used to ride Catawba Riverfront park before it was the whitewater center. And my dad rode it on dirt bikes in the 70s and 80s, probably helped carve some of the trails that the entitled have commandeered. People still look at me funny when I bitch about the parking fees and talk about how I used to ride and park here for free.
Yeah, I thought about checking out Heavy equipment rd where we used to park and ride from there. I do remember goat path had carpet on one of the hills. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Also wondering if doing a tune up on mine is worth it. Bearings need replaced, on hubs and crank, also need to check my derailer.
The Marlin was a Cadillac compared to my old iron, [emoji16]

You could easily spend $200-600 fixing the stuff wrong or worn out on yours...if they can find the parts. But you'd still have a 22yr old bike. Current technology, even on the most basic entry level name-brand bike is going to be WAY better than the old one

What ^ said. I'm typically too cheap for new stuff, but @broncosbybart hooked me up on a bike for my kiddo last Christmas!

Yeah, I thought about checking out Heavy equipment rd where we used to park and ride from there. I do remember goat path had carpet on one of the hills. Lol.

I'm pretty sure they have it closed off and covered in signs. The government hates competition. :D
But I digress...
The carpet is still there on the aptly named "Carpet" loop. I wonder what brand of carpet that is?

Ok I'll check that out. I met a guy who said he could help me out at Ultimate bikes here in Charlotte.

@broncosbybart pm me too I've never heard of Scott or Jamis. Basically I'm a newb again.

Much like wimmins, ride a few before you settle down.
Most bike shops will let you rent bikes for the day and they take the rental amount off the purchase price of a new one. That's what I did. Rode 3 or 4 different models and brands before finding one that was ideal for me.

Lol
My jeep works
Grant's is a perpetual project. My jeep has made me lazy, enjoying the woods with the smell of gasoline.

Hey, thanks for the heads up fellas. Trek is a big player in the cycling world, as are many others. No one brand has a monopoly on there market, despite their best efforts. You'll find brands that cater to the IBD (independent bicycle dealer), brands that sell consumer direct, and others that sell through third party channels like Amazon.

Could type an essay on it but IMHO, many of the bikes in the entry level price range will be very similar. As said, the new stuff handles so much nicer than what we used to ride. I still have a late 90's MTB and ride it once a year or so. Boggles my mind how we used to ride them fast. I'll pm you my contact info. Happy to help out however we can!

My '94 GT is still kicking.... hanging in the garage collecting dust but just had it tuned up a year ago or so. I should get on that thing again and put some laps around somewhere simple like Salem Lake or Tanglewood or something. Getting soft again...lol

Yeah, I had a rockhopper before I went to an aluminum M700 Cannondale, that was 2 kids and 30lbs ago. I should get back in shape and ride some trails around Charlotte more. Need to make that a priority

@broncosbybart is great to work with. Spent time with my daughter yesterday setting up different bikes for her to try out. She went home with a big smile.

a9c307064b47f9481805947e7174d9d4.jpg

Back