moving an older mobile home?

YotaOnRocks

I am looking at some land that has a house on it already but I would rather rent out the house and live in the trailer while build a nicer new house/garage on back of land. But the question is my uncle has a trailer he said I could have. It is in perfect shape but it is38 years old. It is a single wide I believe. It has a been a few years since I have seen It but it is a fully furnished guest house on his property now. The only reason he is getting rid of it is he is has been annexed into the city limits and they wont let him have it. My aunt , his wife, just passed a few months ago so he doesn't want to bother with trying to sell he is just going to give it to me. I was just gonna take it and build a little trailer with the axles out of it to haul some stuff and sell scrap metal to scrap yard since I wasn't looking to live in a trailer but now I am wanting a trailer to live in for a while so I am seriously entertaining the thought. However I have hear that there is a limit to how old a mobile home can be and still be moved. Is that true. I would really like to know. If no one knows who would I call to find that out.
Thanks for help in advance
Matt

i know in catawba county the trailer has to have vinal siding and shingled roof to be moved to a new lot. if there was already a old mobile home there and say it burned then you could probally move another old one it . i dont know about where you live but i would say it may be similiar

Having been thru a similar scenario with my folks place in Brunswick cnty... your BEST bet is to call the county officials (anonymously!)

OTOH, maybe your land is in Surry or Yadkin? From what I've seen pretty much anything (trailer house related) goes over there... If it were'nt for farmland breaking it up, East Bend would be 1 huge trailer park! :lol:

I talked to officials today they said it was no problem with the age I would just have to come down and fill out some forms to have moved. I still have to check if I can put a mobile home on the land though.

I would call one of the places that move homes. There are permits and so on that have to be bought to move it. A lot has to do with length and width. Depending on how far you have to move it, probably gonna cost $1500-$2500 to move it, and have it set up.
That said, you may be better off buying a used home from a dealer, getting a newer model. The price usually includes delivery and set up. Another thing to consider is a septic tank, if no sewage service, and water hook up. If it's on a well, is there ample supply. the list goes on.
This could be a very expensive endeavor, for a "free" home.

$1500-$2500 for a home is tuff to beat? That being probably leaning more towards worse case scenerio. If the home is in descent shape, I say GO FOR IT!!!

My uncle lives about 5 minutes down the road so I don't think it would cost to much to move. There is a well however the house on the property utilizes city water and septic sewer but there is city sewer at road. I figured a few thousand to have it all ready wasn't bad for a place to live considering an older single wide (1998 or so) sales for about 16,000 at one of those dealers. The house was rented out for 650 a month up untill a few months ago so I'd say I would be better off to just move that older free trailer save my money collect money for rent and build a nice new house and garage on back of land.

If I were that close, I think I would be tempted to find someone with a good size tractor and move it early one Sunday Morning. Then only pay to have it set up. Maybe even do that myself too, just need a 30 ton bottle jack.

A buddy of mine had an old pos mobile home sitting on some land he was about to build a house on. It needed to be moved before they could break ground on the new home... So, we hooked up his full size chevy to the house, dropped her into 4 lo and just drug it out of the way. :D

the only thing I know about old trailers is that my cousin went to have his moved, and the frame bent as they were pulling it out, pretty much ruining the structure.

If I were that close, I think I would be tempted to find someone with a good size tractor and move it early one Sunday Morning. Then only pay to have it set up. Maybe even do that myself too, just need a 30 ton bottle jack.
I have moved and set up a lot of house trailers, most of witch were to old to be called mobile home. If you move it yourself and get caught on the road with it be prepaired to to pay big money fines. You can move it with a large farm tractor. It has to be a large one because they will lift the front end off the ground. If you set it yourself a 12 ton jack will work fine . It's all I ever use, easier if you have 2 of them .

I helped a friend move a 1999 model 14x70 about 2 miles with an F-450 last year. It was interesting to say the least. Thank God for big turbos and manual transmissions. :beer:

we did what your goin to do. my thoughts are that if somthing happens and it falls apart on the road, or stuck trying to make it around a corner, id rather be the guy that hired the company to move it that the guy moving it. get him to deed it to you, so its yours, put insurance on it before you move it, and hope for the best. cost us 1500 to have ours set up and moved. and talk over all potential problems and solutions with the mover.

Back