My 1985 4Runner SR5

Amocat00

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v288_Amocat00_4Runner_RuffRyder3.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v288_Amocat00_4Runner_RuffRyder.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v288_Amocat00_4Runner_RuffRyder2.jpg

Custom suspension lift (leafs, blocks, and Rancho shocks), 3" body lift, custom paint, custom front bumper/paint, 14 speaker stereo system (Blaupunkt), alarm, factory sunroof, custom coated underbody and frame, 39.5/15R16 Interco STS tires, Weld rims, rebuilt, bored out engine, custom (I can't remember the name off hand, I'll find out) transmission, 5.29 gears front and back, centerforce clutch, Downey headers, rear disc brakes, etc. I'll add more when I think of it.

Just keep in mind, this will be completely different once I get started on it. Gone will be both bumpers, the rear blocks, the chrome nerf bars, the flourescent yellow/blue accents, and maybe the BL...

~S

well, its a start alright. you can probably sell all that bullshit on ebay to a few dumbasses and recoup a chunk of your purchase price. hell you could probably make enough to buy a decent set of tires and lockers. :huggy:

some of the people here sit around and wait to pounce on the chance to call someone elses shit ghey. :flipoff2:

did you get it to wheel
if so U got a long way to go
i have always wanted to turn a show truck to a trail rig
how much did you give for it?
does it have EFI?
don't take the fender flares off they will do it automaticly
what kind of tranny?

Amocat00, it's a nice truck. I think you are heading in the right direction as to your future plans. Body lifts and blocks are just not good combos. When you lesson the bling factor post up some more pics. Don't worry about what others think, it's your truck, do with it what you deem best. Toyota trucks are strong, and looks like you have a good start. And Yes, Uhwarrie National Forest(UNF)

Hmm? so it's OK to REALLY rip on people now? Why not just explain that this board is geared more towards trail riding/rock crawling and that if that's his intensions of using the truck for then great. That can be a "before" picture. If he really digs the set up the way it is then he may want to find a board geared more towards the "show" end of things.But if we're just going to start ripping on peoples shit, let me know...cause I got a list... :flipoff2:
A kinder gentler Greg.

I'm with Greg, people build rigs the way they want, show, wheeling, he's already stated he's making changes. Give the guy a break.

Amocat00 said:
custom coated underbody and frame

THAT will be a nice thing to have down east... Gotta love (uh loathe) salt air...

Sounds like you've got a good starting point. I wouldn't spend time getting rid of the paint job, unless it REALLY bugs you. Save your effort for your other plans (and time and $$ for wheeling), and let forest pinstriping take care of the paint.

J

Well he does live in Kill Devil Hills, so he's sporting the correct tire for his area and wheeling needs. Build/use it for YOUR application. Alot of us here are into rocks and that's where we wheel. If you wheel the beach, then build it for the beach. If you build it to get laid, I wish you a whole harem. But if you post for opinions, be prepared, cause we all have them.

PS I have chrome nerf bars too.....shhhh don't tell anyone. :p

JB

You mention getting to work on it. What are your plans/intended use? :)

Sounds like you're off to a good start, and since you'll need new tires soon, stepping down a few sizes...

Looks like you have a lot of work to do Shaun. But not as much as the 89. It definately has a LOT of potential. Paint (as in the frame) and bumpers can be changed easily, and since it was a show truck you know it hasn't been beaten on. What are youre eventual plans for it?

seaflea said:
Looks like you have a lot of work to do Shaun. But not as much as the 89. It definately has a LOT of potential. Paint (as in the frame) and bumpers can be changed easily, and since it was a show truck you know it hasn't been beaten on. What are youre eventual plans for it?

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with it in regards to the suspension and such. The reason being where I live....I have no rocks close, all sand and some mud...and everyone out here builds their rigs up like this....aside from the ugly paint on the bumpers and underneath. I know I want onboard air and a winch for the beach... I know I want rid of the ugly chrome nerf bars...I'm NOT a chrome guy. I'll get rid of the chrome rims and go all black...plus I want some more backspacing so they sit out some and give me a wider stance since it sits so high. I'm not sure about the blocks and the BL lift yet though...that honestly is yet to be determined for sure...

Thanks,

~S

one thing i noticed is that it looks to still have the stock push/pull type steering, might want to invest in an IFS steering box and a crossover steering setup. The stock steering setup is scary at best when lifted

Lee said:
one thing i noticed is that it looks to still have the stock push/pull type steering, might want to invest in an IFS steering box and a crossover steering setup. The stock steering setup is scary at best when lifted

Yeah, I've gotten that suggestion from numerous people. It is somewhat weird driving it like that. I'm looking in to a MarlinCrawler set up in the near future.

~S

How many of you have seen a large rock trail in eastern NC let alone at the beach. I like it and he seems to be going in the right direction. I can't say much my 85 4runner is stock but I just put it in the shop to start my build up. I would like to build mine into a rock crawler but like is said you build for your location part rock crawler, part sand and mud. At lease he all ready got most of it done.

bigblueox said:
amocat did you buy that truck from a guy in garner (near raleigh) named josh?
-burke

Yeah, you know him? Read the thread if you're going to ask any questions about what's done to it, who did it, what was paid for it, etc.

~S

bigblueox said:
i have met him-friend of a friend, we didnt see eye to eye so i dont talk to him-burke

Oh, ok. That's cool. Sh!t happens. I just thought you were going to rip on me for buying it or something....

~S

That truck is great. If you don't like the paint leave it on there and get some spray paint. Definately build that thing the way you want and take the flack with a LARGE grain of salt. Have fun doing what your doing To hell with anyone who knocks on that...

Back