My 90 Comanche ECORS build

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
Well, I have wanted a Comanche ever since Jim Bruce was driving one on Truckin' USA when I was a kid. I used to drool over Big Woody's MJ and have been following ALL of the MJ builds on here over the last year. But, I could not quite pull the trigger on another toy. I have a 10 second Mustang and a Yamaha FZ1 already, so I thought my toy box was full enough. That is until the wife told me to race in ECORS this year. Who am I not to make my wife happy?
So a friend had just bought a cherry, 1 owner, gold longbed MJ. I told him if he ever wanted to make his money back to let me know. The next day he did. So I picked up a 90 MJ, 4.0, auto, 4wd, no dents, no rust, grand paw fishing truck clean for cheap. Then, I cut it up and made it one MJ harder to find an unmolested one.
Here's the pics...
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup004.jpg

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup005.jpg

Basically stripped the front suspension and axle, swapped in a used Tera Flex long arm kit (I made it a radius arm setup), some 6" Rusty's coils and a 99 XJ HP30 with 4.56's. Out back, a simple spring over, moved the shock mounts above the axle, swapped in an 8.25, Powertrax and 4.56's.
But I hated how it looked with the longbed and factory bumper. So, I took 12" out of the rear of the bed. It still has a long wheelbase, but a short (6'1") bed. It should be stable as all get out at speed in ECORS, although I will get hung up in the rocks. Oh well.
Next, it was time for paint and armor. My local MAACO was offering a $250 spray job. I wanted burnt orange, but for $250 I got broiled orange-I like it just fine.
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup011.jpg

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup016.jpg

I called up Chase over at ECGS and got a set of Trail Gear full length rock rails (see 33's on a 122" wheelbase). I also contacted RLC Welding out of Kentucky about their front winch bumper. All I can say is perfect fit, great lines and at a great price. I then ordered up a T-Max winch from myself, bolted it up and called it good for now.
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup013.jpg

If I were building a rock-solid trail rig, I would no doubt do things a bit different. But for a cheap, entry level, ECORS rig, it'll do just fine. I plan on racing this year, then making it a serious trail rig next year.
I have some great sponsors for ECORS this year. I cannot say enough great things about Brad at Barnes 4WD. Great guy, great parts at low prices. RLC Welding for their winch bumper, Chase at ECGS for all of my drivetrain parts needs, MudPro for some tabs and the wife for encouraging me to get back into the sport.
Thanks to:
www.barnes4wd.com
www.ujointoffroad.com
www.mudprometalworks.com
www.eastcoastgearsupply.com
www.wncdirtydogs.com
RLC Welding

Cant wait to see this thing run....

The MJ is pretty decent looking now, but it is a race rig. My wife will get sick the first time it gets crunched. Luckily she's my co-driver, so she can get a first hand look at the damage. Heck, it may be her fault!

Gonna be fun.

Here's a rear shot. The cut was made about 1" behind the tail light pocket. The other cut was 11 5/8" forward. From the outside the bob is nearly invisible. Inside the bed, I doubled up the bed floor, tacked and screwed the sections, and added about 1/8" of body filler to cover it up.
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup014.jpg

Just a good front shot. Maybe the dog grooming van in the background would be a suitable tow rig?
ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y150_yjdaddy87_manchebuildup012.jpg

put a diesel in the camper van! SWEET!

The more I look at this truck the more I like it. Simple and clean, but not tooo clean. This is the truck my comanche wishes it were.

The more I look at this truck the more I like it. Simple and clean, but not tooo clean. This is the truck my comanche wishes it were.

It's funny, I really like your MJ. Beaten up, used, worn. It's the reason I have a tool box in mine. I'm looking forward to giving mine "wings" like yours.
Yours gonna be finished for the race?

It's funny, I really like your MJ. Beaten up, used, worn. It's the reason I have a tool box in mine. I'm looking forward to giving mine "wings" like yours.
Yours gonna be finished for the race?

No :( Hopefully the April race, and I may need to recruit more help to make that one.

Tool box wings flapping will easily take a minute or two off your lap time :lol:

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o101_getstucksome_harlan2008_IMG_0947.jpg

...my XJ is about as stock as can be.

That's probably a good thing in our case (racing). Mine is quite simple aside from the long arms, which ain't exactly rocket science or anything.

It'll be a shock going from a YJ on tons, 40's, 300 horses at 85:1, to this. Either way it's gonna be a blast.

Anyone want any Power Adder Solutions decals? I got plenty.

Back