My new beadlocks

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I'm having a new buggy built out of my old one. Basically I got bored with it since I've done everything with it. I tried to sell it or trade it with no luck, so stripped it down and rebuilt going with a better chassis and two seater. It's also KOH legal. This thread isn't about the buggy though, but rather my wheels and tires.

My old tires were 42 TSL's on 15x10 rims. They were screwed and tubed. The original tubes were synthetic rubber and didn't hold up well. I switched to natual rubber tubes and had no problems. I occasionally destroyed the rims, but never got a flat.

With the new buggy I wanted to step up to 44" TSLs. I have 44" TSL's on 15x12 rims. I ordered 15x10 rims so the rims would be set in more and be more protected. I got 270 #14 3/4" screws. I plan to use 32 per side per rim which is 256 and wanted a few extras.

I ordered these inner tubes. I ran them for about two years in my 42's with no problems.

I ordered some rim stiffeners made from 1/4" metal 1.5" wide to protect the screw and give it a little more durability along the edge. Hopefully this will prevent the rim damage I've seen in the past. (got these from mudpro)

Cost for my double beadlocks is $814.68

rims and tubes $631.32
rim stiffeners $156
screws $23.36

I have everything on the way to build my new rims. Scott is going to perform a miracle and ship the stiffeners today. (I hope) While cost is a factor, my biggest concern is ultimate durability. I feel this set up is the best available when I factor in maintenance also. There should be no air leaks and the tube gives me the extra security when a tire is cut. My overall cost is still within the norm compared to other beadlocks.

I'll try to post up some pics as I build them tomorrow.

Sounds good. Please post some pics.

The tube link you have shows a tube for a 15" rim, but for a tire that is 33" diameter. Is that the tube you ran??

That's pretty neat. What pressure were you running in the tube?

That's pretty neat. What pressure were you running in the tube?

It's hard to say with the guage I've got. My guess is about 2-3psi. It hardly moved at all. I ordered a new guage that shows a max pressure of 30psi so I hope to get more accurate with it.

for "ultimate durability" why not go with a 2 piece rim and pvc insert or a true inner bead lock?

for "ultimate durability" why not go with a 2 piece rim and pvc insert or a true inner bead lock?

x2

Cost should be the same or cheaper, and maintenance is a million times easier.

My system has a tube which provides extra protection. It's also lighter. I don't expect there to be any maintenance.

Not to say this is perfect, but simply that I really like it.

My system has a tube which provides extra protection. It's also lighter. I don't expect there to be any maintenance.
Not to say this is perfect, but simply that I really like it.

Cool!
I agree the inner tube is lighter...however in my experience if you truly cut a tire the tube will be taken out in short order either by the same object or by the cords of the tire itself.

That said, if it is what you like then :driver::wheel::bounce2:...just not sure I would advertise it as "ultimate durability"

Is this like what the drag racers use to do? Screw the tire to the rim?

Back