My Stolen Tag!

rodney eppes

Walked out to get the paper this morning, & turned around to See my tag was gone from my Pick-Up. Damn! At home, it's always parked in the garage, either pulled in or backed in. So it may have been 2 days before I notice it's gone. At parking lots, I tend to back in, as it's simpler to pull out. BUTT, I suppose it also makes it easier for a Thief to go behind my truck & Steal the tag. This is my First, so maybe I've been lucky. Probably stolen at Walmart / Belmont, Mount Holly Grill, or The Professional Bldg [Doctors Bldg] / Gastonia. Maybe the Local guys to me can watch for my plate. Thanks! DKY 9750 11/18

A trip to Gaston DMV, today. One hour wait in line that was there at 9 am. $25, & a replacement tag. Took the advice & ran on over to CS Motorsports [which I didn't know about] to pick up some anti theft screws. O, & saw a Sweet looking Blazer!
PS: FWIW, I wasn't the only 1 there, replacing a stolen tag!

Attachments

• IMG_20180709_110051108[1].jpg
    IMG_20180709_110051108[1].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_20180709_102823649[1].jpg
    IMG_20180709_102823649[1].jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 396
A trip to Gaston DMV, today. One hour wait in line that was there at 9 am. $25, & a replacement tag. Took the advice & ran on over to CS Motorsports [which I didn't know about] to pick up some anti theft screws. O, & saw a Sweet looking Blazer!
PS: FWIW, I wasn't the only 1 there, replacing a stolen tag!

I thought it was a homemade canoe or some crap on thw blazer! lol

I thought it was a homemade canoe or some crap on thw blazer! lol
I was about to say... That damn blazer has a house on its roof.

They charged Late Fees, didn't they?

From previous experience, yes...haven't paid yet because any convenient place to get inspected has to schedule a time for inspection now. But it's a small percentage of the bill anyway. And bonus information, it's only a $100ish ticket if you get pulled out of date. And now you can pay that online in Rowan and Cabarrus counties, as long as you pay 7 days before the court date. Point of clarification, 7 BUSINESS days before your court date. Otherwise you get to call someone at the DA's office, get transferred about 8 times, until someone can actually process your request for a continuance...which then takes roughly 3 weeks to process. So you better hope you're online and ready to pay in that 15 minute window of opportunity where your request has been processed, but you're still more than 7 business days from your court date.

I use torx screws after losing 2 tags. Have not lost another one. What do the anti-theft screws look like?
There's a tiny picture of it on the package, upper right corner. I think it says "torx pin". Which, it Is the torx, with a pin in the middle. So the standard torx bit wont fit. I think you can buy the screws at Lowe's & other places, but you need to get the bit too. Plus the one's I bought are Stainless.

There's a tiny picture of it on the package, upper right corner. I think it says "torx pin". Which, it Is the torx, with a pin in the middle. So the standard torx bit wont fit. I think you can buy the screws at Lowe's & other places, but you need to get the bit too. Plus the one's I bought are Stainless.
The 4wd shift motor of a first gen explorer uses those "security torx" screws. When I was in college, going around to hardware stores and parts stores asking for security torx bits, I got a lot of strange looks and questions about what exactly I was trying to do. I still have the crappy set I finally found.

Fwiw. I've always used at least torx screws on mine, of course, there's the people with tags held on with wing nut screws.. never could figure that one out. Its not hard to use a screw driver.. figured that was silly, make it really easy to grab..

I use torx screws after losing 2 tags. Have not lost another one. What do the anti-theft screws look like?

Craftsman security Torx bits used to be readily available at Sears

McMaster Carr has the tamper resistant Torx bits (bit sockets) for $6. Get the screws there while you're at it.

Harbor Freight has 3 different kits with them included...
32 Pc 3 in. Security Bit Set
100 Pc Security Bit Set with Case
33 Pc Security Bit Set
I think I have an old Dewalt set that came from Lowes years ago.

If you're really concerned, or it is a common problem in your area, probably the best option would be a nylock nut on the back side if accessible. Although it is very unlikely anyone would take the time to make an attempt at anything other than a phillips/flat head screw, most would probably see a torx or anything odd and move on to the next car before wasting any time.

Just get you a piece of cardboard that says "Tag aplied 4". It seems to work for a lot of people out there.

Who the hell steals a tag and why?

Who the hell steals a tag and why?

Yep. We have a lot here in Charlotte.

Found out mine had been stolen after I landed at CLT one night. Security guard wouldn't let me leave & had to wait for a CMPD officer to arrive & make a stolen tag report. Never heard anything else about it...

Now everything I own gets socket cap head screws & nyloc nuts. I hate thieves! Its also why my toolboxes have locking cables around them...you don't have to make them impossible to break in to, just harder than the next guy!

Back