my tow rig setup

OBX Fisherman

waggytowxj.jpg

Took the XJ for a test tow with the waggy today for the first time. Tried it with the XJ backwards on the dolly. Quickly learned this was not a good idea after my life flashed before my eyes when the XJ started fish-tailing back and forth. Turned the XJ around and she pulled great! Braking was better than I anticipated also!

Off to Windrock with this Thursday!!!

Gary

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Was the steering wheel locked? Did it fish tail from all the weight?

steering was locked, even tied the seatbelt around the steering wheel to secure it. I think it was a combination of a coil sprung front end and the Y shaped drag link/tie rod set up. My sway bar was connected. It was swaying 3' from side to side, luckily we were on a back road and only going 40 MPH. coasted down to 30 MPH and she stopped wagging. Found the next parking lot and turned the XJ around!

Gary

That is some scary stuff when it starts happening. I guess not enough weight was on the dolly.

Does your dolly have brakes? Ive *considered* buying one for the tacoma to tow behind the bronco. Report on how it tows! The only thing im worried about is my bronco's wheelbase(may sway to much).

Let us know!
Josh

The weight has to be on the dolly( engine) Be careful towing with that thing. You have half ton brakes and comming home will be fun on Old Fort mnt. Fast/emergency braking with come with a pucker factor for sure. Don't get into a hurry, allow plenty room in between you and the car in front of you, start very slow on down hills, and check those straps often. Come home, put Dolly up for sale, and find a trailer with brakes. You will be much happier.

Slow and easy, and anticipation of others is the name of the game with the dolly. Mountain decents will be done in 1st/2nd gear to reduce the amount of braking. I'll take 77/81 to/from Windrock and avoid Black Mtn and the gorge.

Gary

Also note that if you have a locker in the rig being flat or dolly towed. Tire pressure side to side makes a big difference. You have to have almost exact pressure side to side to keep the swaying down. Brakes on the dolly are a must, especially if towing with a 1/2 ton rig.

Funny you should mention "sway" Shannon! Gary & Sammy left out in tandem yesterday ...

Gary in the Waggy w/ the XJ on the dolly, Sammy in a borrowed Tundra w/ "Bug" on a trailer.

Seems only a few miles up 52N, Gary moved over for a merging bobtail and the swaying started. Tried to slow down & speed up to negate it, but it eventually got the better of the Waggy and shoved him into the guardrail! :(

Waggy got munched on all 4 corners, dolly pretzeled, XJ got a few dings (+ bent DL, broken swaybar eye, and taillight lense), and he WALKED AWAY!... Waggy got hauled to Bills shop and he drove the XJ home. Pretty sure he'll followup on this with his now expert "dolly survivor review"

Last we heard, he had replaced all the parts on the XJ and was thinking of heading up today, to ride tomorrow! Get back on the horse & ride! :beer:

Sucks to hear about it.. glad he's OK.

Shannon said:
Also note that if you have a locker in the rig being flat or dolly towed. Tire pressure side to side makes a big difference. You have to have almost exact pressure side to side to keep the swaying down. Brakes on the dolly are a must, especially if towing with a 1/2 ton rig.

That is exactly what Gary and I talked about yesterday (after the accident). Once she was swaying, there was no stoping it! :(

Dang That Waggy looks familier :)

Looks good Just got to get the new hitch setup on the J10 so I can tow My XJ

Dang man, that blows major. I am sorry for your luck. I hope the board can use this as a learning example.

Back