Name Dropping

BigBody79

I see threads and talk to people all the time that say some thing similar to, if you talk to Jerry, tell him that, "Chuck with the pet chimpmunk said, raspberry pie."

I'm not terrible at small talk not the best either. But, I have an extremely difficult time dropping names in these usually very brief conversations.

Given enough time to work it in I usually can. But, usually it's a quick conversation.

How do you do it?

I see threads and talk to people all the time that say some thing similar to, if you talk to Jerry, tell him that, "Chuck with the pet chimpmunk said, raspberry pie."

I'm not terrible at small talk not the best either. But, I have an extremely difficult time dropping names in these usually very brief conversations.

Given enough time to work it in I usually can. But, usually it's a quick conversation.

How do you do it?
I don't really feel like what you are referencing is name dropping. If anything by telling a person that you have just met that you were referred to them by someone they know, it lends you some credibility. Name dropping as I've always understood it is when you needlessly drop an "important" person you knows name in a conversation in order to try to sound important yourself through association.

I'm not terrible at small talk not the best either.

But yet you have no problem telling the barista that you need a skinny soy latte with 7 other requirements and demanding they get your name right on the cupo_O

(Kidding, I mean, no idea where you got those skinny jeans) :D

It's usually no problem whatsoever especially for an extrovert like me. But I can see where if you were the least bit introverted you can never really talk like that and drop names and tell them that "Corky from East said to tell you that he dry jumped your wife" or some other Secret phrase that would make you terribly uncomfortable in a normal setting

Last edited:
I generally only tell someone to mention me if I’m friends/have a good working relationship with whoever I’m recommending. I do that for 3 reasons 1) most of the time, they’ll cut you a better deal or 2) so the person I referred knows they’re probably not dealing with a tire kicker and 3) I deal with some ornery fucks...and won’t deal with you unless you have an ‘in’.

Flip side of that...if someone tells me to drop their name, it’s generally someone I know/like/trust, so I’ll take whatever potential benefit may be there. And if the reference changes the course of the conversation and vendor actually dislikes my ‘in’...chances are good I probably don’t want to deal with that vendor anyway.

But yet you have no problem telling the barista that you need a skinny soy latte with 7 other requirements and demanding they get your name right on the cupo_O

This is why I drink black coffee. Less words. ☕

Got it. Either right out the gate or not at all.

I usually go not at all for the above reason, never know if they like the person or not.

I got rid of the chipmunk years ago - still got the smoke shifter out back, but I converted it to right - hand
-Chuck

I barely remember my own name most days let alone drop someone else's.

21xv4e.jpg

I don’t use names unless I have tried all other avenues and still can’t get the deal done.Reason being most people probably really hate that SOB you just mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back