NC Census

UTfball68

So I saw this graphic and got curious how they came up with the percentages. Isn’t one of the points of the census to determine total people...so how can they know a percentage if the census hasn’t been returned? Or would this be based on addresses and returned forms? And isn’t the census kind of an outdated practice considering .gov certainly knew how many people were in a household to distribute stimulus checks/direct deposits to?

2269D5C7-CCDF-4F15-8B78-6C0BEF941253.jpeg

Non-familial residents who don’t file a tax return is one that’ll be missed
this

Or, anybody who doesn't file a return. If you don't owe money, you aren't required to file.

Plus - outdated or not - the census is in the Constitution. So it's not like we could just choose to not do it.

Seriously??? Wasn’t aware of that.
Yes, seriously.
Thats why people were all up in arms when the Trump admin was threatening to delay the census waiting for a court ruling on the whole immigrant question thing.
It literally says, must be done every 10 years.

Why is it so hard for people to turn them in?

To be fair...I have no idea where my form is. Maybe my wife checked the mail and filled it out...maybe it's sitting in my paper shredder. My general outlook on communication is, if it's important enough (to me), the other party will know how to get my attention.

To be fair...I have no idea where my form is. Maybe my wife checked the mail and filled it out...maybe it's sitting in my paper shredder. My general outlook on communication is, if it's important enough (to me), the other party will know how to get my attention.
If you dont fill it out long enough they will come knocking on your door.

Also, how is this even a thing?

I sure hope its a thing for me one day and for you.
If you dont have income you dont owe income tax.
Retirees come to mind...

If you dont fill it out long enough they will come knocking on your door.

Like in a threatening sense...or in a sense where I can begrudgingly stand their at my front door in my boxers while holding my dog's collar and a child in my other arm and they'll take down my info???

it’s been advertised everywhere that you can use your smart phone, which is how I did it. Didn’t even have to put my night cap down.

I sure hope its a thing for me one day and for you.
If you dont have income you dont owe income tax.
Retirees come to mind...

Huh. I guess I wasn’t thinking about people who retire to a point where they actually aren’t generating any taxable income.
I feel like you would always have a 1099 to file. Maybe I’ll find out one day.

it’s been advertised everywhere that you can use your smart phone, which is how I did it. Didn’t even have to put my night cap down.

I guess I’m just completely oblivious to the concept of the census. Don’t watch much tv, no ads to this point through the usual channels, no reference to it in the things I like reading up on, until I ran across this graphic. To be quite honest, I thought it was voluntary and educated estimates. Learned something new.

Also, how is this even a thing?
As mentioned, if you make < a certain amount tehre is nothing to file b/c nothing was owed. High school kids part time job for example. Or certain retiress (although almost everyone retired comfortably has things that are still taxable)

The thing also is that if the IRS owes YOU money, they don't care if you don't file. They aren't beating your door down to pay out. And there are people out there that either are too dumb or just don't care enough to know and get their $$ back by filing.

Like in a threatening sense...or in a sense where I can begrudgingly stand their at my front door in my boxers while holding my dog's collar and a child in my other arm and they'll take down my info???
Yes... the latter. Have friends that were census workers in 2000 and 2010. Its a pretty shity job but somebody's gotta do it. So they hire a lot of people who are trained to be really polite and patient and go talk to people. The stories they have about the interactions are both hilarious and frightening.
When they showed up at my door in 2000 I was in the middle of a brake job that was going very badly and I was filthy and in a terrible mood. The very nice lady didn't even bat an eye at it.

Oh - the visit isn't quick. Its a lot of questions. You won't want to stand there in teh doorway with full arms.
.. .this is why its so much better to just do it online now. Or mail the damn thing in.

I guess I’m just completely oblivious to the concept of the census. Don’t watch much tv, no ads to this point through the usual channels, no reference to it in the things I like reading up on, until I ran across this graphic. To be quite honest, I thought it was voluntary and educated estimates. Learned something new.

once you've lived through a couple as an adult... you understand.
And as much as people gripe about it, it's super important. It literally determines your representation in Congress and by proxy, your voting power. There is always a big hubub b/c some states end up losing representatives and others gain some.
The info is also used for local and state elections, determines how electoral maps may need to be redrawn and such. So, sadly, it also gets political very quick.

Most tallies of the population are just based on various guesses and estimates. This is the only one that they literally go door to door and try and make sure that they literally try to count every head. Its a such major effort that takes years and billions of $$.

It literally determines your representation in Congress and by proxy, your voting power. There is always a big hubub b/c some states end up losing representatives and others gain some.
The info is also used for local and state elections, determines how electoral maps may need to be redrawn and such.

.......and you can bet your sweet bippy it will lead to gerry-manderying lawsuits in NC like we have after the democrats don't like the outcome of yet another election.
(by that I mean every election, even one where they draw their own lines)

Yes... the latter. Have friends that were census workers in 2000 and 2010. Its a pretty shity job but somebody's gotta do it. So they hire a lot of people who are trained to be really polite and patient and go talk to people. The stories they have about the interactions are both hilarious and frightening.
When they showed up at my door in 2000 I was in the middle of a brake job that was going very badly and I was filthy and in a terrible mood. The very nice lady didn't even bat an eye at it.

Oh - the visit isn't quick. Its a lot of questions. You won't want to stand there in teh doorway with full arms.
.. .this is why its so much better to just do it online now. Or mail the damn thing in.

once you've lived through a couple as an adult... you understand.
And as much as people gripe about it, it's super important. It literally determines your representation in Congress and by proxy, your voting power. There is always a big hubub b/c some states end up losing representatives and others gain some.
The info is also used for local and state elections, determines how electoral maps may need to be redrawn and such. So, sadly, it also gets political very quick.

Most tallies of the population are just based on various guesses and estimates. This is the only one that they literally go door to door and try and make sure that they literally try to count every head. Its a such major effort that takes years and billions of $$.

There are actually 2 different census versions. Each is one every cycle.
By some "random" sampling you get either a fairly painless form, or the deep personal anal probing. In...I guess it was 2012 ...we got the long drawn out way too personal one and I threw them away until I got a visit
I was kinda a chode to the lady and had a supervisor come next. I later felt bad about how I treated lady 1 since she was just doing her job...I think Ive posted that story before.

Ron

I was kinda a chode to the lady and had a supervisor come next. I later felt bad about how I treated lady 1 since she was just doing her job...I think Ive posted that story before.

Ron

When you put it that way, you really suck the fun out of unsolicited door knocks. I guess I can draw the line at someone just trying to put food on the table for something I'm obligated to constitutionally. But I'm still not putting pants on for people that want to save my soul or sell a miracle stain remover...I love how awkward it gets when I tell them I want to hear more and it's not a bad time at all.

When you put it that way, you really suck the fun out of unsolicited door knocks. I guess I can draw the line at someone just trying to put food on the table for something I'm obligated to constitutionally. But I'm still not putting pants on for people that want to save my soul or sell a miracle stain remover...I love how awkward it gets when I tell them I want to hear more and it's not a bad time at all.

We used to have a back counter parts guy when I worked for Cummins named Mike (last name withheld to protect the not so innocent).
He was smart and a great worker, but had zero filter. So he worked back counter - that meant he processed parts for shop and field service and wasn't customer facing.
I could write a book about things he said to people that were off color, and embarrassing but he never meant any harm he just said whatever was on his mind and had no shame.

But this story isnt one of those times.

Allegedly some JW's came to his house one Saturday morning. As the story goes, and I have ZERO reason to doubt it and his wife confirmed it, he proceeded to whip it out and start fondling himself while they talked. They tried to be professionals and ignore him. Undeterred he asked the elderly black lady if she would "pull out those chocolate milk dispensers to help motive me"...that motivated them to leave...

We used to have a back counter parts guy when I worked for Cummins named Mike (last name withheld to protect the not so innocent).
He was smart and a great worker, but had zero filter. So he worked back counter - that meant he processed parts for shop and field service and wasn't customer facing.
I could write a book about things he said to people that were off color, and embarrassing but he never meant any harm he just said whatever was on his mind and had no shame.

Allegedly some JW's came to his house one Saturday morning. As the story goes, and I have ZERO reason to doubt it and his wife confirmed it, he proceeded to whip it out and start fondling himself while they talked. They tried to be professionals and ignore him. Undeterred he asked the elderly black lady if she would "pull out those chocolate milk dispensers to help motive me"...that motivated them to leave...

Holy shit...I couldn't take it that far...but if Mr Floppy accidentally pops out of the boxer pee hole or any other self-made ventilation holes, I ignore it.

We had some show up one day after a very soggy squirrel hunt. Apparently they draw the line when soaking wet guys in boxers holding dead squirrels answer the door.

Back