NC Inspection 3rd brake light requirement

cmyTJ

I have just installed a swingout tire carrier/bumper and was curious about the inspection laws in NC. From what I have read it looks like it is required since my vehicle originally had on. There are many options but seems to be extremely easy given my current setup. Will this be sufficient to pass inspection: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=42556#

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Most places will not fail you for it as long as what is currently installed Is working properly, and you won't get pulled over for it either. I have been running only the two tail lamps for over a year now with no problems, been inspected twice.

I removed my 3rd brakelight from my TJ years ago. I have never had any issue getting it inspected. If you were to have one and it didn't work, you would probably have a problem. Without one there at all, I think most inspectors won't know (or care) that it came with one from the factory.

removed mine as well, never had a problem.
guess it comes down to where you get it inspected

That is good news, I will just try it and see what happens. Not having one is so much easier than putting one on!

I am an inspector and during our class that we are required to take the instructor said that vehicles considered trucks or SUV's aren't required to have 3rd brake lights b/c they tow or haul alot that usually blocks it anyway so you will almost for sure never have a problem getting it inspected or problem with the police, unless you drive a passenger car.

I am an inspector and during our class that we are required to take the instructor said that vehicles considered trucks or SUV's aren't required to have 3rd brake lights b/c they tow or haul alot that usually blocks it anyway so you will almost for sure never have a problem getting it inspected or problem with the police, unless you drive a passenger car.
Good info.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the help and feedback! I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

So now, time for a hijack, while we have people on the topic of inspections...

I have always heard its possible to pass inspection with no windshield, so long as the wipers are still there and work.....

Any truth to that? Anyone ever done it?

Since we are now Hi-Jacking, I have a question as well.

I just moved up from FL, where there are no vehicle inspections. As of now, my HUMMER H3T has 5% window tint on all windows, including the windsheild strip. I also have aftermarket HID headlights. Is there any where i can get the truck inpsected and still pass? Or am I better leaving it registered and tagged in FL, I still have a house there so it doesnt really matter.

Thanks for the help

Jason

Since we are now Hi-Jacking, I have a question as well.
I just moved up from FL, where there are no vehicle inspections. As of now, my HUMMER H3T has 5% window tint on all windows, including the windsheild strip. I also have aftermarket HID headlights. Is there any where i can get the truck inpsected and still pass? Or am I better leaving it registered and tagged in FL, I still have a house there so it doesnt really matter.
Thanks for the help
Jason

The tint is going to get you. I had a few friends with really dark front windows (back doors, and all glass behind the front doors is fine no matter how dark you go) that got pulled and written tickets because their front windows were too dark.

You are better off leaving it tagged for FL, and as for the windsheild, I believe that is true. I'll look it up in my book this evening if I remember, but wipers don't work too well with out being able to slide on the windshield and I imagine you will get pulled for it. And if you challenge the cop you better not have anything else wrong cause if he finds out you are right he'll probably find something else to write you for just for challenging him.

tireburner

thanks for the info, the tint is on the inside of the windshield so the wipers aren't an issue.

Other than the HID's, there is nothing else done that might attract attention.

Thanks again for the help and info

Jason

Back