NC inspection law

thebluyak

Do you have to have a front bumper mounted to pass inspection, i dont have one on my cherokee and itd be good to know if itll pass before i take it up there
thanks

I had no problem with getting my XJ done without the front bumper, of course that was at Jiffy lube in Fuquay :)

As far as I am aware, you dont need the bumper, but you will need to make sure all turnsignals/parking lights are working. So if you had any in your bumper be sure and get a substitute to mount.

lomodyj said:
I don't know what the law is...It's not covered in CRK's NC General statutes post BUT, I was unable to get anyone to inspect mine with the bumper missing from my YJ...and it has a front cross member right there...

Thanks for the props' but I copied all that from PoPo's post on the old board. He should get credit for it, I just reposted it here. None the less, thanks!

awsome thats exactly what i wanted to know, and yes ive got all my turn signals and lights working, also do you know if you need fender flares cause my tires stick out and I have no fender flares I just read that statues post and it didnt say anything about fender flares, maybe someone can tell me about that from experience gracias

Puma297 said:
it depends on how much they stick out. i doubt they would fail an inspection for it but if a cop feels like it, he could give you grief about it.

Only if you point out where the fender flare statute is in Chapt 20. It is not covered in the NC motor vehicle laws at all. Technically, even if you pick up a rock from the road and it gets tossed back and breaks the windshield of the police cruiser there is nothing that can be charged through Chapt 20. You see, road hazzards are just that, and a rock on the ground is not "failing to secure load".

On the other hand, you are looking at a criminal charge of vandalism due to criminal negligence if your tires are completely uncovered due to modifications by the owner. Moral of the story, do what you can stand.

PoPo said:
Only if you point out where the fender flare statute is in Chapt 20. It is not covered in the NC motor vehicle laws at all. Technically, even if you pick up a rock from the road and it gets tossed back and breaks the windshield of the police cruiser there is nothing that can be charged through Chapt 20. You see, road hazzards are just that, and a rock on the ground is not "failing to secure load".

On the other hand, you are looking at a criminal charge of vandalism due to criminal negligence if your tires are completely uncovered due to modifications by the owner. Moral of the story, do what you can stand.

thanks Greg thats good to know, but yeah they arnt like crucial stickin out, only about 2 inchs or so, but I seriously dont think they would cause to much trouble unless its from throwin mud up and making a mess of things

haha im soo confused, like 2 days ago I wasnt labled an underage user cause I posted in the General tech about the wrangler, im saddend now, :(

imma hold a sign on the corner
** anyone to help sponser please call ***
hahaha nah its straight im patient :cool:

thebluyak said:
haha im soo confused, like 2 days ago I wasnt labled an underage user cause I posted in the General tech about the wrangler, im saddend now, :(

imma hold a sign on the corner
** anyone to help sponser please call ***
hahaha nah its straight im patient :cool:

What the heck are you talking about???

On topic, what about bead lock rims and imitation bead lock rims. When I traded my Tundra in w/ Tech 1 Rock Crawler Street Locks, they put new rims on and they told me it was because the Street Locks wouldn't pass NC inspection. I've seen others with the same rims and real bead locks. I think the guy just wanted my rims for himself or a friend or something...

~S

Amocat00 said:
What the heck are you talking about???
Looks like, if you are under 21, you get "underage user" under your screen name...great idea.

On topic, what about bead lock rims and imitation bead lock rims. When I traded my Tundra in w/ Tech 1 Rock Crawler Street Locks, they put new rims on and they told me it was because the Street Locks wouldn't pass NC inspection. I've seen others with the same rims and real bead locks. I think the guy just wanted my rims for himself or a friend or something...

There are very few (if any) bead lock rims that are DOT certified...ALL imitation beadlocks that are sold for the street (without the warning "for off road use only") must be DOT certified. If your's were not sold as "off road use only" they should have been legal.

There is a bit of debate as to whether or not beadlocks are legal or not...they are welded to DOT approved rims...Since I can't afford Bead Locks, and don't have them...I interperet this as No Bead Locks are legal...when I can afford bead locks and have them on my rig...well, I'll likely interperet is as...the original rims were legal...why not after I welded some stuff to them... :)

you don't need a bumper but god forbid one of your highbeams doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Back