NC Safety Inspection

My understanding was that if the vehicle came equipped with a passenger side mirror from the factory....it needs one to pass inspection.

Nope, just need drivers side

19A NCAC 03D .0540 REAR VIEW MIRRORS
Rear view mirrors shall not be approved if:
(1) Loosely mounted.
(2) Forward vision of the device is obstructed by mirror assembly.
(3) They do not provide a clear view of the highway to the rear.
(4) Cracked, broken, have sharp edges or can not be cleaned such that rear vision is not obscured.
(5) Very difficult to adjust or they will not maintain a set adjustment.
(6) Bus, truck or truck-tractor with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more is not equipped with a rear vision
mirror on each side.
(7) Vehicles manufactured, assembled, or first sold after January 1, 1966 are not equipped with outside rear
view mirrors on the driver's side.
History Note: Authority G.S. 20-2; 20-39; 20-183.3(8);

My old Comanche passed before I put a mirror on the passenger side.... inspector was more worried that my drivers wiper had a 1/4 tear in the blade....o_O

I'm not gonna argue with the law posted above, but I was always told you had to have 2 out of the 3 mirror positions, 1)drivers side, 2) windshield rear view, 3)pass. side

Driver's side and rearview are what's required, unless the rear view is blocked. Then you need both outside mirrors.

Sent while I should have been doing something constructive...

When I took the inspection class to get my license the point was made multiple times that if the vehicle came with it, that it was required. No if ands or buts. The law above would typically be applied as minimum standards. Atleast thats what we were taught. Heard lots of stories about variances from one class to the next. In the end its at the discrepancy of the inspector.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ive always heard drivers side and one other rear facing mirror. But as said above, it really depends on where you go.

CAr has to have drivers side out side and inside rear facing . Truck has to have both outside mirrors
This is been a big issue with DMV. I have went round and round with DMV on and my inspectors on this , This is
20131114_121458 (1).jpg
what was told and found where they got it from .

Not to hijack. But the guys at the shop where I get all my inspections said that a new law has recently passed and only requires one brake light. Wtf?

No I think there talking about 3rd brake lights. I was told Thursday that its a grey area but do not fail them if they don't work if a LED type ?
There is a certain percentage of LEDs that are allowed to be out on the module and still pass I believe, but if it is totally out it will fail.

Back