NC vehicle inspection question

benmack1

I've got an old bucket truck that I've had around the farm with no plates on it the last couple years. I've had plates before but dropped insurance and plates as it didn't need to go anywhere. I want to get plates on it again. The windshield has gotten cracked in the meantime. It's a long crack on drivers side but not totally trashed by any means. Curious about how inspectors make a call on something like this. I've had things pass many times before but the cracks were always on passenger side on those. Is it just their call or are there some kind of guidances?

Is the crack directly in the drivers line of sight? I have a long vertical crack in the middle of my Class C, between the driver and passenger and it passed. If it's directly in the line of sight, it's supposed to fail from what I have experienced. If it's low or high on the drivers side, it could be argued that it's not directly in the line of sight.

I suspect it also depends on where you take it.

It's a total loss, drop it off at my place and I'll remove this burden from your life.

I had several cracks in my daily drivers windshield a few years ago and I passed inspection without any issues. Then my wife's car failed inspection once because one of the wiper blades had a 1/4" tear at the tip of the wiper. I say it varies depending on the inspector.

It's a total loss, drop it off at my place and I'll remove this burden from your life.

I had several cracks in my daily drivers windshield a few years ago and I passed inspection without any issues. Then my wife's car failed inspection once because one of the wiper blades had a 1/4" tear at the tip of the wiper. I say it varies depending on the inspector.
There have been days with this shitbox truck that I might have taken you up on that......

By the book, cracked windshield does not matter. If the wiper blades are torn, that would cause a failure. So if the crack is bad enough to tear the blade, you could have an issue. Otherwise you should be ok.

By the book, cracked windshield does not matter. If the wiper blades are torn, that would cause a failure. So if the crack is bad enough to tear the blade, you could have an issue. Otherwise you should be ok.
This is correct, as long as it doesn’t tear the wiper your good

I should have known the inspector who told me my info was trying to blow smoke up my ass. That was in Durham on my old pickup and the crack was far below my sight line. I won that argument on sight line definition but he was trying to be a dick.

Motorhome is an inside crack so that's why it passed based on the above info. Being 30 years old now, don't need to worry about inspection any more.

Bumping this back up & hijacking the thread for a few questions:

How old does a vehicle have to be for a tag/registration renewal to just be paid with no inspections? 25? 30? 35?
Does/will that still apply to OBDII vehicles?

Is it legal to run an old tag on a vehicle as long as you have the correct tag on hand or does that only apply to tag from the year of manufacture?
I found my grandpa's C30 tag from the last time he had it registered in '96...can I run that as long as I keep the current tag in the truck?

30 years old.

You're better off having no tag than you are the wrong one. As far as running the old one, probably not. Usually that only works on antique tags that are the same year model as the vehicle when it's a classic.

^^ this. A lot of LEO these days have cameras that are always scanning for tags and automatically running them, and sending back an alert if it comes back as bad or some problem. Hence you could be just parked or leisurely cruising and fellow passes by and he'll get a notice about the tag being bad. Then of course its up to him if he wants to make a deal of it. But the point is, that tag has some likeihood of getting you pulled over and having to explain. While a polite conversation could probably get you out of a ticket, its a hassle I wouldn't want to deal with.

Well dang....guess I'll just use grandpa's plate as wall art!

I'd run the old 1996 tag. But I also don't give a shit and fuck the DMV and government. :lol:

Worst they do is give you a ticket, then you just get the registration and plates renewed and they'll drop the ticket. Just out a little hassle and there is a possibility you'll be fine and riding free for a while. Just keep insurance and you're golden.

Well dang....guess I'll just use grandpa's plate as wall art!
Well you could reactivate it. Walk into DMV w it and say you want to pay for it. That would make it legit.

I'd run the old 1996 tag. But I also don't give a shit and fuck the DMV and government. :lol:

Worst they do is give you a ticket, then you just get the registration and plates renewed and they'll drop the ticket. Just out a little hassle and there is a possibility you'll be fine and riding free for a while. Just keep insurance and you're golden.
All true. I just like to minimize the chances of having a roadside chat w a nice uniformed gentleman (or woman).

All true. I just like to minimize the chances of having a roadside chat w a nice uniformed gentleman (or woman).
It's worth it to me. I'm about $1k in the black this year. :lol:

If it is an antique you can run a tag from the year the vehicle was made. You must keep the current and correct tag in the vehicle. This is a spelled out in chapter 20.

Back