NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Tagged out on bucks this year. This morning was number 3. Still got 2 doe tags. He wasn’t huge by any stretch. Six point (number 7 was broken off), 15” spread and a touch over 140lbs. Scales are in 5lb increments so it’s hard to be exact. Lots of deer meat this year. The weights were 150, 135, and 140. I’ll take it
50D18DBB-8E77-4D47-A598-BDA5ED3845CC.jpeg
1E8053DE-F9D7-4368-A20B-6A915E9522BB.jpeg

A couple years ago I did an Exotic Hunt at Caryonah(TN) after our planned Wyoming Pronghorn hunt was ruined the day before we left by an Oct ice storm hitting our hunting area. ($800 worth of non-res tags wasted!)

Overall - Caryonah was a pretty nice experience. I bagged a gorgeous Painted Desert Ram and my dad took a very delicious wild boar.

I did a write-up on it explaining how it worked, my thoughts about fence hunting, etc. It's too long to repost here. (But there are pictures!)

A review of Caryonah Game Ranch

Would I go back? Mmm... yes. But it's kind of like fishing in a stocked pond. Lately, I've been feeling the urge to go somewhere, and I've been torn on either going after WY Pronghorn/CO Elk next year, or trying an open range Texas/New Mexico hunt for an exotic like an Aoudad or Oryx. This will also be my 3rd year putting in for a Maine Moose, so maybe I'll get lucky there!

(With a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308. A fantastic rifle. Highly recommended!)
oCDuyPgfH3ByR3Id_XJisjgGT1sFSWHyhscvoE7A-DG7NcgA7bRRYU3yfXMiAlnbhTRdmkMwOZ_l-CW7GGokZBaz7WR4Eegz48G5vKKwsodgMfVqKpdNKw=s0-d-e1-ft

(Dinks Taxidermy in Marion, NC did an AMAZING job.)
20190313_170017.jpg

As an aside - Here's what a .308 150 gr Winchester Power Point softball did exiting through the far rib cage of the ram.
20181010_081125.jpg

hey man nice shot.

So, just got a call from my processor. Said the roof fell in on their freezer and they lost a few deer. Go figure, out of 80 deer hanging mine was one of the ones they lost. So now I’m out a tag and the meat. To top it off, I’m only allowed 3 bucks at my club so now I’m watching from the sidelines with 2 deer. Muthaaaa Fucka.

Deer number 2 and second with the bow down. Couple does came in blowing and one ran off other came in looking for me. After 45 minute stare off I got a double lung and she went 15 yards. Can’t have no doe busting me

Also pissed cause I snapped my arrow and can’t find the fletching side with the lighted nock in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer number 2 and second with the bow down. Couple does came in blowing and one ran off other came in looking for me. After 45 minute stare off I got a double lung and she went 15 yards. Can’t have no doe busting me

Also pissed cause I snapped my arrow and can’t find the fletching side with the lighted nock in it

Was it a pass through?maybe your dogs could find it?

Haven't seen nearly the amount of wildlife activity in the backyard during quarantine as I have been and was wondering why. This morning I got an alert of a coyote ~45yds from the back door at 5:50...I guess I got my answers now.:flipoff:

Was it a pass through?maybe your dogs could find it?

Pass through, broadhead side was 8” into the ground, arrow was broke just about mid ways down.

I looked 3 separate times around impact area and the whole trail to where it went. Even brushed through the leafs. It wasn’t in the deer when I cleaned it.

For the life of me idk what happened to it. Going to pull stand tomorrow night after work maybe it will still be lit up then

Geez, was he going for a carotid artery shot?

I thought that is were you were supposed to shoot them. Don't waste any meat that way.

Driving home tonight & saw a roadkill doe with a coyote hovering over her in a field outside of Castalia. Wish I would've had time to send something downrange! :kaioken:

I thought that is were you were supposed to shoot them. Don't waste any meat that way.
I don't personally do it, but I know several people that opt for neck & head shots for this reason. Head shots have the easiest tracking jobs too! :sniper:

URE from another side

20201121_064554.jpg

First time ever shooting a coyote. It was chasing a doe about 60 yards in front of me, He’s been all over my cameras. I grabbed my son’s 270 with reduced recoil loads, felt like a 223.
7FE0383F-81F0-42BF-937D-E1A20146BDF2.jpeg

First time ever shooting a coyote. It was chasing a doe about 60 yards in front of me, He’s been all over my cameras. I grabbed my son’s 270 with reduced recoil loads, felt like a 223. View attachment 331267
One down, eleventy kabillion to go!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How'd you like it? My folks live on the other side of the lake & I'm thinking of trying my hand at public land this year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In all honesty, ill never hunt there again. A lot of hunters, and twice as many horse humpers tramping around in the middle of the woods. 3 times we set up well off the trails and every time we had horses wandering through the woods.

Back